Grow Room Setup Ideas

Talk about grow room setup/design and equipment

Moderator: Moderators

CannaGrower
Casual toker
Casual toker

Grow Room Setup Ideas

Post by CannaGrower » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:05 pm

Hello Weedguru\'s...I have come here in hopes that you guys can help me plan my new grow box.

I have a walk in closet that is about 8ft wide by 8ft long. I want to build an enclosed growing box to put in this area. I would like it to be as stealth as possible, and not to big. There is storage stuff in this room that I can\'t put anywhere else. I have 3 different strains that my friend gave me...can\'t remember what they are but I know they are mostly Indica. Hopefully I will be able to grow the 3 plants at the same time in my box

I already have a 250 watt HPS light with a ballast that I got from a friend who quit growing

I am unsure how big I should make this box and how to rig up the ventilation for it. I know I need fresh air intake and hot air exhaust. I also need a form of odor control...I was thinking of getting one of those carbon filters they sell at the grow shop. But what kind of fans and stuff would I need to do this? I\'m a bit confused about the whole process. I read up on cool tubes and was wondering in I should have one of those as well?

What do you think the best dimension of the box would be? I have tons of scrap wood and plywood laying around so supplies for that isn\'t a problem.

My friend did his grow with a screen over his plants....forget what he called it. He said it\'s a real good method to increase yield in a small space..Is this true? Should I do that?

Anybody got any suggestions for me?

Thanks

Weedguru Higher
Tetrahydrocannabinologist

Re: Grow Room Setup Ideas

Post by Weedguru Higher » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:15 pm

I did a few grows a while back with a 250 watt HPS. I'll show you some of my setup pics...maybe they will inspire you and give you ideas

I modified a two door cabinet I had by adding an extension on the the side of it. The grow are was behind the doors and the exhaust fan and ducting was in the part on the side.

The best fan I got my hands on was a Stanley blower. It was only 60 bucks at the hardware store and has a really high cfm (I forget what it is) Loads of growers use them..most cfm for your buck. The fan was sucking the hot air out and through a carbon filter

When I was building it initially put aluminum foil (very bad thing) but removed it when I read that it wasn't a suitable reflective material

I used passive intake by drilling those 6 larger holes you see and put elbow shaped plumbing pipes on the back of the box with a black screen over the opening to divert and filter the light leaks from it. Later on I drilled a bunch of smaller ones cause I was having heat issues. I didn't use a cool tube but it would have been really helpful for the heat issues I had during a summer grow. I did place a fan blowing right under the light and that reduced temps by several degrees. I also installed 2 pc fans down by the plants that were wired to a 12v adapter. They created wind and air circulation

The ballast was outside the box just beside it and hidden under cardboard boxes. I didn't need 100% stealth..just couldn't have any light leaks.

I used weather stripping around the doors and a piece of cardboard overlapping the crack in the middle where the two doors meet

I was able to grow 2 plants in 3 gallon pots to maturity and yielded 4 ounces like this in the size box I had..I can't remember the exact dimension but the pics give you a good idea..it wasn't very big

The screen you are talking about is called SCROG. I did one grow like that and yes it's a good thing. You can read up on the technique here:

http://www.weedguru.com/forum/viewtopic ... 88&t=27983

Hope that helps...if you got anymore questions feel free to ask!

CannaGrower
Casual toker
Casual toker

Post by CannaGrower » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:27 pm

Thank you Higher for your quick and thorough response! Great looking setup you have there

I think the basic shape of your box would suit my needs, but just a bit bigger. I\'d like to get 3 plants in there. I think I\'ll get a cool tube too

So for scrog I just fit a screen in the box and let the plants grow into it? Did I understand that correctly?

What\'s the biggest size box I could make with my light?

Weedguru Higher

Post by Weedguru Higher » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:30 pm

Here's a light coverage chart

You got it right about the scrog...you let them grow into the screen and then you move the colas around a bit until you get the screen is almost filled

CannaGrower
Casual toker
Casual toker

Post by CannaGrower » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:55 pm

So 3x3 for 250 watts..

After seeing your box I was thinking of making it about 3.5 ft long by about 2 ft wide

What do you think about that?

And I was wondering if you have some more pics of your plants and setup?

Weedguru Higher

Post by Weedguru Higher » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:12 pm

Sounds fine....how much headroom are you planning?

I have a couple grow journals in the Your Baby section of the growing forum