A site made by Stoners, for Stoners...
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:28 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:33 am 
Tetrahydrocannabinologist

How to Make Hash Oil Using Isopropyl Alcohol
Written By Chief Tokem

Before we start, we need to decide what we're going to be using to make the oil. Remember, do not try this with that NY diesel G-13 Hashplant kush you just got, for your first time what we are looking for is...

Mids- If you can get some large sacks of mids for cheap, this is a great way to put them to use.
Trimmings- For those of you who grow just happen to have some, trimmings work perfectly.

Those two right there are pretty much it( Atleast untill you refine your hash oil making skills). Unless you have a bunch of shake you want to use or a bunch of free/cheap weed or something, dont waste your money.

LIST OF MATERIALS

99% Isopropyl alcohol, which is available in most retail stores, and runs about 1.89 per bottle. One is enough for your first time.
Electric stove, or any other electric heating device we can put a pan on. Flames are dangerous. The one i will be using is a very simple plug in electric stove.

Your pan. This is a very important factor in you hash oil. The pan need to be a good conducter of heat, but preferably not metal. Ceramic type pans made for baking work well. The bottom needs to be flat, the more flat area the better, a curved pan will not work. The sides need to be at the very least two inches tall. If you dont have a pan like this but still want to make oil then go to a cooking store and pick one up like the one i'll be using, they run anywhere from about 6-12$.

This is the pan i will be using. its generally small, is flat, and has high edges. There's some left over oil from previous batches, since this is the pan i always use. The more yours is like this the better.

Two razorblades
Airtight container

Strainer. In the tutorial I will be using napkins and a normal vegetable/pasta strainer. Cheese cloth and extremely fine wire strainer work as well. the point is to let no bud/trimmings through.
Your weed. If your using mids then break up the nugs nice and good, but dont grind them into powder. Powder gets through too easily.

Now for the tutorial

Alright, so we got all of our materials, now what you want to do is get your trimmings/ broken up bud and put it in your container. Now when it comes to how much alchohal to use, I don't know how much bud your using, so I cant say an exact amount. Put in enough so that the alchohal will cover the bottom of the pan by atleast a 1/4 inch, and enough that it covers all of your bud in the container.

I put the whole ounce in the jar and filled it with alchohal untill it was completely covered. The trimmings floated to the bottom when they got wet but they were up to the alchohal when i first covered them.

Now, close your container nice and tight. We are going to do a little bit of gentle mixing, jut rotating the container in a circle getting the liquid to swirl nicely. Altogether we are going to let this mix for about 10 minutes, in which you can mix as much or as little as you want. I switch it up all the time, but in this specific batch i mixed it about 4 times during the ten minutes, 30 seconds each.

What we need to do now is strain our mixture, which we will be doing straight into our pan. It's pretty self explanitory, just try and keep any plant material out of the alchohal in the pan.

As you can see i am using the napkin technique for this batch. With the help of a friend who held the napkin open for me while curving the edges up in a bowl like fashion, i poured the liquid in, trying to let as little trimmings go into the napkin as possible, since less is easier to deal with. I also did this over a large vegetable strainer which had my pan underneath, since i was dealing with alot of liquid and trimmings. If your going to be straining the napkin way i would reccomend rubber gloves, so that you can effectly squeeze the liquid out of the material without getting your hands soaked. You are going to need to wring the napkin a good amount, try to get all that liquid, and be careful not to make any tares for the plant material to get through.

Unfortunatly we had a tare. Now if there really isnt that much that got through, then dont worry about it. but our's was pretty bad, and plant material that gets through will ensure that your oil wont be full melt.

You can see what got through. I wanted this to be full melt so we went ahead and re strained it following the same procedure with the napkins.

Just squeezin it nice and hard to get all that liquid out...

This picture is just of us pouring the liquid that got caught in the large strainer into the pan, but look at the color difference in the picture 2 above. This is what some primo hash oil liquid looks like.

Heres a quick shot of the wet trimmings in the jar

Now we are onto another very important part, cooking it. If you can do this part outside, then do so. The vapors that come off from the evaporating alchohal are very unpleasent to breath in, and will fill up a room nice and quick. If you cant go outside, then just use a little fan and the fumes out a window, or at the very least do this right near a wide open window. Oh and incase you are wondering, this doesnt make your house smell all gnarly of bud, just get those alchohal vapors under control and your fine.

The stove you use needs to be on a pretty low setting, we dont want to burn our mixture. Alchohal has a low boiling point, so just watch it and try to get the liquid to be ripppling and gently bubbling while it boils, violent bubbling is a sign that you have it up to high. Cooking time varies depending on how much you do at once, mine took about 7 minutes, but that was a very large batch.

Here we had it on a little to high, notice how many vapors are coming off and how violently it's bubbling.

Here the amount of liquid has decreased quite a bit, and it's at a nice boil. Notice the ripples in the water, a sign of good temperature. Also, if look at the bottom towards the sides of the pan you should notice what looks something like sand. These are the first parts of the hash oil forming.

A few minutes later and the liquid has further decreased. More of the sand looking material has formed, and it seems to be drying up on the bottom of the pan a little. Your pan is never perfectly flat, so the liquid builds up at one side, and what you need to do is tilt the pan around so that the liquid goes back over the dryed up parts and dissolves them back into the liquid.

It kinda makes more sense while your doing it, that's why the only way to be good at making oil is practice and personal experience. Mainly you are just trying to keep the parts that are drying up from burning untill all the liquid evaporates.

This is right after we took it off the heat. You want to do this when ithere is still a little liquid left in the pan, but now this liquid looks less like bright green alchohal and more like some hash oil. You can see the build up of liquid on the right side of the pan.

Keep on tilting the pan back and forth, letting the built up liquid spread out on the pan. What's going on now is that we are letting the little bit off heat the pan still has evaporate the last bit of liquid.
If your unsure of when to take the pan off, just try it a little sooner than you think and while spreading it around see if the liquid is drying up enough. If it's not you can always put it back on your heating device for a few seconds.

See how the liquid is drying in that dripping pattern? That means that all the liquid is evaporated and once it stops dripping completely then the cooking part is over.\

At first, we had no razorblade, so we were contemplating using a spoon. Your gonna follow directions so you should have a razor blade, but take a look at the consistency of our oil right now. it looks pretty wet, dont you think? if its like this then throw it in the freezer for about a minute.

So after it's out of the freezer, if your batch needed it, it's time to get your razorblade and start scraping. Dont wait to do this, do it as soon as you can after cooking, and after the freezer if yours needed it, it's much easier to get off when its hasnt dried.

Now no matter how hard you try you cant get all of it. you will get alot of the stuff in the middle and on the flat parts, but where the pan curves up it is practically impossible. There's a few solutions to this.
1.after you've got all you can with your razorblade, whipe a nug in all the left over stuff on the sides. You can just load it up in a bowl right there, or you can keep them. I've kept my wiped nugs for days. when they dry they look kinda weird and sticky, but you wont care when you smoke it.
2. If there is alot left over just pour a little bit of alchohal in the pan and tilt it around all the edges, it takes it right off and absorbs it. Recook the alchohal and repeat the scraping process.
3. if your gonna do it again, just leave it in and make it your official hash oil pan. it will go into the next batch you cook.

Anway when you got about this much on your razorblade

Take your other razorblade and scrape from one end to the other, repeating the process untill it balls up and you can put it somewhere. If you have a small container with a cap that you think will work go for it. I only had a bottle cap at the time.

See how sticky this stuff is? just use your razorblades and you should be good. DO NOT touch it with you fingers. All that does is waste a snap and get your fingers all sticky.

As far as making the oil goes, thats it! you just learned how to make some potent, full melt oil to impress your friend with, or just get really high by yourself. Oh and believe me, you will be getting really high, This stuff is the real deal. A fat bong load of this stuff always leaves me with my my head in my lap, eyes closed, spinning around in a fat head rush.

All there's left to do now is smoke it! You can free base it if you have the means to do so, one of those little crack pipe things work pretty well. The easiest way to do this is get your container or whatever your keepig your oil in, and a paper clip. Unfold the paper clip and get a nice snap of oil on the end of it. Take a lighter to the middle of the unfolded paper clip and position the snap right above a bowl full of weed. If you watch the oil it will start to get a little more liquid looking

And eventually if you dab it on the bowl if weed it will just slide off the paper clip. This stuff is Sticky and kind of hard to work with, so take your time and be careful.

Just look at that nice snap of oil, dark brown with a little light brown in it, wouldn't you like to be smoking this?

Can anyone say full melt?

And to end it just a little wiped nug

Once you are good at this whole hash oil making thing, you can try using good buds. it's easy to make batches with as little as a gram and get a good amount of oil out of it once you get the hang of it. I tried making oil once with some really good afgooey once, and what do you know, It was some of the best oil I ever made. The quality of the product+How well you cook it= How good you hash oil is.

Another end note, practice makes perfect. I cannot stress this enough. So much of the process can be improvised to come out with different results, eventually you just get your own thing down.

Another thing, if you use alot of trimmings/bud, you can try re-soaking it and repeating the whole process again, theres usually another batch left.

Now go out there and make some hash oil! I hope there is atleast of few of you who will try this. PM me if you have any questions, It's a little different when not making as much, and it's hard to tell how much bud/alchohal to use. I also probably left something out. I'm ripped.
Peace.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:15 am 
Ganja God
Ganja God

How much hash oil would you get out of a 1/4 of buds?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:48 am 

Not much...

Quote:
Plant Material-|-Recommended amount Butane-|-Estimated Yield
1oz High quality bud-|-12oz-|-3-6g
1oz Average bud-|-10oz-|-2-4g
1oz low grade bud-|-9oz-|-2-3g
1oz high quality trim leaves-|-12oz-|-3-5g
1oz trim & leaves-|-10oz-|-2-4g
1oz fan leaves-|-8oz-|-1-2g

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:52 pm 
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

I tried making this last night!!!it came out a nice colored green I did the 30second wash once n I was wondering,is it supposed to b like a thick sticky liquid?I made it around 3am and it's now 11:48am and I ddnt cook it I just let it evap on it's own but how long before I can actually smoke it and also how long before the alcohol should b all evaperated????I'm ready to get twiztid on this but idk if I should trust that all the alcohols out,I made it into a somewhat ball before I went to sleep and when I woke it was flat on the plate n liquidy ??? Any help will b appreciated and Ty for takin ur time to help me !!!!love the website btw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:45 pm 

Welcome to weedguru!

Ya, it should be a thick sticky substance...it shouldn't be a liquid though, it should be somewhat firm, thick and sticky kinda like molasses

If it's really warm where you are just the room temperature can liquify it though. I've got some right now in front of me and it's way more sloppy now than this morning..(.it's 98F ) If you want to harden it back up just pop it in the freezer for a few minutes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:26 pm 
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Yea it's like a molasses type Texture now,I also tried making sum and I pour it onto a ceramic plate and I put a pot on an electric griddle and stuck the plate on top to heat and evap the alcohol and I had it set to around 350degrees r so,and I ended up with all alcohol drying and my hash oil kinda turned black lol I ddnt try it yet but I will soon!!!thanks for the help and the tut:)! I lm quitting on my bbias to pop out the soil I'm using a 400watt mh on them and I'll b usingthe supper cropping methods I have eight seeds in the dirt,I germinated them and after they opened a lil bit I stuck them maybe a 1/2 -1 inch n the dirt,I'll try and keep every one updated on them when they start,its my firs. Grow with the mh and hps lights

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:27 pm 
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Waiting on my babies*****not quitting lmao

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:56 pm 

Hope to see a grow journal up in the Your Baby section of the growing forum!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:45 am 
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Don't worry lol u will

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:13 pm 
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Damn I used the coffe filter and kinda squeezed it like an idiot and some came out the top and now a have a tiny bit of weed n my oil witch it on the griddle on top a boiling pot of water lol that sucks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:14 am 

There's always a bit of trial and error with anything in extraction methods....you'll know better for next time

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:51 am 
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Yeaa true lol its all good I was trippin hard on that oil I made yesterday so I thought it was funny at the time and it ok n e ways I usually just mix it with some green after its made and take some good hits of plus it is rlly easy to handle it if it has a layer of ground bud on it

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:35 pm 
Casual toker
Casual toker

I've done this before with Everclear alcohol. Same process. Keep in mind, this process can be dangerous. Make sure to be in a well ventilated area.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:10 pm 
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Im curious, I was taught that alcohol absorbs a small amount of THC. This is a large reason why alcohol should never be used as bong water. I am curious then if it releases the THC before it evaporates out, or if there is just a little loss?

I really want to try this though, but I dont have any of the right tools, and a ridiculously small amount of weed...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:12 pm 
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

I no this is old but to answere it,alcohol shouldn't be used as bong water because it is dangerous to inhale iso r any alcohol,unless ur tlkn about drinking alcohol then it still isn't good n besides y not just dink it instead of wasting it?the alcohol evaps not the thc/hash oil