Salutations, brethren.

Bring your travel experiences to a wider audience, share the thrills, spills and kills!

Moderator: Moderators

sugarstalker
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Salutations, brethren.

Post by sugarstalker » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:09 am

I come to you now, friends, because the US college system is a pain to understand for a simpleton like myself.

My question to you is fairly simple(I think). When I am looking up courses on the various universities in this ragtag federation of states I can not for the life of me see anything that would indicate whether or not the particular subjects are offered during the fall or spring terms. Could anyone with some experience explain to me how this works?

:RAAAAA:

cutthecashflow
Intellecutally Wasted
Intellecutally Wasted

Re: Salutations, brethren.

Post by cutthecashflow » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:25 am

First, don't call the us a ragtag federation of states and then ask its citizens for help lol. I dont really care, but others who haven't read your prior posts or been around you may take offense. There is a lot of people in this country thqt are overly patriotic. Im sure I could help you as ive been in university for eight years now. I would probably need some more info such as where you are or plan on studying. One look at the website and their curriculum and I should be able to answer most your questions. Feel free to pm me if you dont want that info posted publicly, if you do pm me, feel free to ask me anymore specific questions.
Get busy living or get busy dying.

sugarstalker
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by sugarstalker » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:41 pm

Well, I haven't really found any particular place I want to go to yet. I've been looking av University of California, and Pace University in New York, but that's pretty much it so far. I'm just having a hard time understanding how courses are offered throughout the year.

are all courses offered every semester and then the ones with enough people wanting to follow it are started?? (except what's core curriculum obviously)

I'm studying software engineering, so if you know of any decent schools I'm happy to take suggestions. I don't really care where I go. That's not what's important.

cutthecashflow
Intellecutally Wasted
Intellecutally Wasted

Post by cutthecashflow » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:33 pm

There are about ten University of California's.

Typically speciality classes are offered once a year either in the spring or fall semester. Some classes are offered once every two years due to the limited number of people that need to take them. Others that are more general that a large majority of people have to take are always offered in the fall and spring.\

I'lll look into pace university when I have a little more time. Any specific UofC that you are looking at or would anyplace any cali suite your needs?

I'll also get back to you with a listing of some good schools for software development.

sugarstalker
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by sugarstalker » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:02 pm

shit, I'd got to Mongolia if I they'd send me there. I just want to leave this place for a while and experience a new culture. The reason I've been looking at UofC and Pace is because I've heard about them. (I've excluded the High-end unis like Harvard and MIT)

sugarstalker
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by sugarstalker » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:47 pm

weeeell, I think the US is out of the question at this point.

Now I have to decide whether I'd like to go to Madrid, or Peterborough.. Spain or Canada. hmmmm

any recommendations?

cutthecashflow
Intellecutally Wasted
Intellecutally Wasted

Post by cutthecashflow » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:26 am

If I were in your shoes and wanted to go to a university in Canada these would be my choices in order.

University of British Columbia (I just missed the cut here for my graduate work :( )
York University
University of Waterloo
University of Alberta
University of Calgary
McMaster University
Queen's University
Simon Frasier University

These are based both on lifestyle, climate, and quality of university. Granted Saskatchewan and Manitoba both have good universities, but it gets COLD there. I mean the average temperature where I'm at is around zero degrees Fahrenheit from mid December to mid February, and that is about 200-400 miles south of any university in Saskatchewan or Manitoba. Likewise, since both provinces are so far from the ocean and mountains there is little getting around these extreme winters.

Let us know what you decide to do. Just curios as to why America is off the table? Is it because of our government? Our foreign policy is fucked I'll give you that, but America does have some beautiful parts of it if your into sightseeing.

sugarstalker
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by sugarstalker » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:58 am

see, that makes me sad, because the University that my college has an exchange agreement with is Trent U.

The reason why the US wont be happening is because of the amount of work I have to do, and with the deadline for registering for studying abroad closing fast, it's easier to just go with one of the unis we have an agreement with. Nothing about US politics. Simply a matter of practicality

cutthecashflow
Intellecutally Wasted
Intellecutally Wasted

Post by cutthecashflow » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:30 am

Well its not to say that Trent isn't a good school, I'd just never given it much thought. Trust me, I don't go to a Harvard or anything myself so I know where your coming from. Those were just some of the top tier one's in Canada, but by no means is it a mutually exclusive list.

sugarstalker
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by sugarstalker » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:52 pm

any canucks (that's the term for canadians right) here who's been to university? Is a semester really only 4 months? and do you have summer break from late april 'til september?