Animal's Travels 2013

Bring your travel experiences to a wider audience, share the thrills, spills and kills!

Moderator: Moderators

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Animal's Travels 2013

Post by weedguru_animal » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:34 pm

My feet are sweating, my belly looks what I expected, or could be mildly content with, were I closer to 50 years old, not recently 34...My lady lies next to me, snugly sleeping and awaiting my arms around her, and I really should be focusing on the most pressing matter in hand, namely...How are we to reach the beautiful hosetl in the heart of Marrakesh tomorrow after landing in Morocco at 7ish in the evening???

Still, such matters can be addressed in the morning, after a hearty breakfast and nourishing shower.

I have been on the road and rails, in the air and under the water, for just over two weeks now, with almost 3 months still to play with in various foreign climes before I am expected back in melbourne before the start of September. I will aim to update this thread when I get the chance in North Africa, or maybe that will be Andalucia (Cadiz). Until which, I will mention my loose in places, horridly tight elsewhere itinerary>

May 13th...melbourne>London>Kent>Paris>Brussels>Bruges>Brussels>London>Brighton>Croydon(London)>Kent>Marrakesh>Maerzouga>Fes>Tangiers>Tarifa>Cadiz>Seville>Barcelona>London>kent>Bangkok>Cambodia>Vietnam>Laos>Thailand>Melbourne (august 29th).

Any recommendations will be appreciated,
Cheers,
Animal

(PS I will add some photos soon-ish)
News, football and ranting
http://thedissolutefox.com/

sugarstalker
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Re: Animal's Travels 2013

Post by sugarstalker » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:40 am

No love for Scandinavia? so sad... But other than that I would have recommended Amsterdam, that's a lovely city, but it seems that it might be a bit off of your route. I am quite envious of your journeys, especially the ones to north Africa and Indo-china. Make sure to visit the Angor Wat when you're in Cambodia, I have been told it is quite the sight.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... he-air.JPG

Quite the impressive feat of engineering, and in the 12th century at that.

wgToonces
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Post by wgToonces » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:09 pm

Can't wait for photos man!

Good to hear about your travels, as soon as I have the cash I'll be out of Ggow ASAP!
:scratchs:

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:41 am

I'm sitting by the pool in the courtyard of the beautiful riad here in marrakesh, chupi- one of two gorgeous, friendly hounds- is snoozing between my lady and I who are stretched out, catlike on a 4 poster couchbed...this city has been brilliantly chaotic, a grand bazaar of narrow maze like lanes, conniving arab merchants, dancing monkeys, kestrels and cobras posing for photos, rich exotic food, felines everywhere, intense heat all contrasted against the serene oasis of this riad. An hour or two to wait, then a brief hike through the medina to grab a cab to the bus station where we will begin our journey to the sahara...

blackxs
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by blackxs » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:06 am

Out of curiousity, where do you get the money for such extensive travels?
If you agree with the above post, please decrease my karma

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:44 am

blackxs wrote:Out of curiousity, where do you get the money for such extensive travels?
Pretty simple case of saving for a year, researching the cheapest methods and routes through the countries we wish to visit and also possessing a laid back approach to accommodation and general organization. You can save thousands of $$$$$ by avoiding organized tours and hunting out budget digs and local transport which the natives use...

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:51 pm

Last night here in Quy Nhon and I will be truly fucking happy to escape this place which promised so much, but has delivered so very little. This is always a potential problem when traveling without much of a plan other than a general direction of North, and picking up ideas of where to head next from others we meet en route...Sometimes real gems in the rough can be uncovered, but equally possible is to travel hard and horrible, toil and suffer on wooden benches squeezed between boxes and monkey faced natives hellbent on cuddling up to you to make use of the meat on your bones as cushions for their skeletal physiques, then finding the secret, secluded beach actually riddled with shark problems and filth....to cap it off, communication has been near to impossible, resulting in a 2km walk for any edible food I can be close to sure isn't dog, croc or snail. Tomorrow we leave, but have the receptionists understood the incredible importance of my request in google translated vietnamese for a taxi at 8am to the train station 10km away. Taxi>Train>Taxi and then...hopefully we reach the sanctuary of hoi an, a beautiful double bedroom and western toilet next to a patio and swimming pool all set in the middle of a botanical garden, with free bicycles to use and a lavish breakfast served daily...Its (hopefully) worth the suffering of these last 72 hours for the paradise that awaits us in Hoi An...

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:13 am

The medina of Fes is a labyrinth, a maze, a hectic, vibrant bazaar. In such an environment, the ideal lair for a traveler, is a refuge, an oasis, right in the thick of the action. A launching pad for adventures and a home away from home when your feet and eyes and mind are weary, to find solace, relaxation, comfort and a much needed solid slumber.

After our grueling coach trip from Merzouga, during which sleep proved impossible due to a dangerously sick native, retching and vomiting constantly for 10 hours, clearly in need of medical attention...and the heat from our jaunt in the Sahara, still throbbing in my bones, we arrived in Fes in darkness, an ungodly hour, at the central train station.

I was so damn happy to be off off off the bus that it seemed wonderful enough to merely be placing my anxious paws on terra firma. Words had been sent by email to Lawrence and Bernard regarding our arrival.

My hopes are rarely placed confidently in strangers, so after realizing we had arrived rather early, booking our outward train tickets to Tangiers at the station, my elation faded and I began to lose faith...but out of the darkness appeared a car, as described in our correspondence with the Dar Melody owners, and Bernard was quickly flagged down. Salvation in a Bernard!

Sincerely, Morocco can seem often like stepping into another realm, where everyone and anyone is trying to prise gold nuggets from your wallet. You become wary and weary...and suspicious.

So imagine the scene...haggard, happy, then worried, Bernard appears. His english wasn't great but his body language was accommodating in every measure. I tried to speak french, which at first he appreciated, but soon realized I could go, only so far. For no extra fee, Bernard drove to meet us at a horridly early hour, and proved amiable and jovial!!

Arriving at Dar Melody, we found ourselves tardis-esque heading through an ancient door into what seemed like a palace. Lawrence brought us tea, english and coffee. The two of them came across as warm and wonderful hosts.

Our room was fit for visiting dignitaries, four poster bed, gorgeous décor, soaps and aromatic delights aplenty in the bathroom, looking out onto a wonderful terrace, where we were mightily happy to relax, play scrabble and enjoy a great view of the surrounds after a hard day of fighting our way through the souk.

Lawrence kindly organized a guide for a reasonable fee, who gave his best, took us to the best sights, and was clearly well known to the locals. A good price for a good day...I just wish I had asked him to lead us home when the tour had finished (he DID offer!), for my confidence in our whereabouts quickly sunk to unease, soon after parting! Two hours later, after haggling, just to pass the time and take something useful from walking around the same part of the maze for the umpteenth time, we were home in our sanctuary.

Breakfast was sumptuous, help was at hand whenever we desired it and overall, I must say, that Dar Melody, thanks to the beautiful building and top class hospitality, was one of the most comfortable places where we stayed during our four months of travelling.

The position is perfect. The hospitality supreme and very hard to match. The accommodation is plush and perfect. The price is a steal...

Overall, I would heartily recommend Dar Melody.