Natural wonders

Bring your travel experiences to a wider audience, share the thrills, spills and kills!

Moderator: Moderators

Weedguru_Falkon
King of Kannabis, God of Ganja

Natural wonders

Post by Weedguru_Falkon » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:22 am

I can't remember who created the thread, (maybe spri7e or scarf...?) but post info/pictures of places you find interesting, intriguing, mysterious, surreal, odd, etc of the world.

Methuselah - The World's Oldest Tree

This point is called
The Ancient Forest. Each Bristlecone pine, from young seedling to ancient relic, has an individual character. And in the Ancient Forest, where trees had more than four and a half millennia to develop their character, each tree is a true individual. Every single tree in the Ancient Forest is at least 4,000 years old, many reach 4,500 years and the oldest one – Methuselah – has a confirmed age of 4,768 years which secured its place in the Guinness Book of World Records. In order to protect Methuselah from souvenir hunters and people who would just "love it to death," the forest service does not disclose its location. It only hints that Methuselah is on of the trees right along the trail in the Ancient Forest. So, we took pictures of the most magnificent trees along that trail. Rest assured that each and every one of them is older than any other tree you have ever seen and that one of them is Methuselah.

source

find more sometime :)
Ikku wrote:I personally don't find it to taste plasticy, I think it tastes good. Like fractally flowery hyperspace.

Weedguru Higher
Tetrahydrocannabinologist

Re: Natural wonders

Post by Weedguru Higher » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:58 pm

Awesome thread idea!!

Great Blue Hole: This underwater sinkhole, a system of limestone caves that was flooded after the last ice age, lies 60 miles off the coast of Belize in Lighthouse Reef. The almost perfectly circular hole is more than 1,000 feet across and 400 feet deep, with otherworldly stalactites and limestone formations along its walls.

pkkupo
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope

Post by pkkupo » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:13 pm

Yea man, awesome thread Falkon. That sinkhole and the ancient ominous tree are both pretty damn wicked.

Iguazu falls. Brazil. My buddy Joe studied in Brazil for 9 months and actually got to see the falls in person. Lucky bastard.

Like all dreamers, I mistook disenchantment for truth...

Weedguru Higher

Post by Weedguru Higher » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:42 pm

Red tides are also known as algal blooms – sudden influxes of massive amounts of colored single-cell algae that can convert entire areas of an ocean or beach into a blood red color. While some of these can be relatively harmless, others can be harbingers of deadly toxins that cause the deaths of fish, birds and marine mammals. In some cases, even humans have been harmed by red tides though no human exposure are known to have been fatal. While they can be fatal, the constituent phytoplankton in ride tides are not harmful in small numbers.

weedguru_waffles

Post by weedguru_waffles » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:51 am

ohh cool cool.

Australia: An aerial view of the Great Barrier Reef

Iceland has been famous for its many hot springs and geysers. Although the Geysir's performance has become less impressive in recent times, dozens of other hot springs continue to bubble and spurt in the same thermal area in southwestern Iceland. Amoung the most active and predictable in the group, located in a valley at the foot of a range of volcanic mountains, is Strokkur, the "churn". Every 4 to 10 minutes it shoots a jet of boiling water as high as 100 feet into the sky.
Fluctuations in the water level in its basin herald each eruption. As the turbulence increases, the surface of the water heaves up into a dome, then explodes into a cloumn of steam and water droplets. The clouds of vapour blow away on the breeze, but the water falls back to the basin to contribute to the next eruption.The abundance of geysers is due to Iceland's geological history. In this volcanically active zone, molten magama lies close to the earth's surface, where it heats underground water and powers its periodic eruptive escapes through fissures in the crust.

Weedguru Higher

Post by Weedguru Higher » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:12 pm

Cool pic^

Fire rainbows

A circumhorizontal fire rainbow arc occurs at a rare confluence of right time and right place for the sun and certain clouds. Crystals within the clouds refract light into the various visible waves of the spectrum but only if they are arrayed correctly relative to the ground below. Due to the rarity with which all of these events happen in conjunction with one another, there are relatively few remarkable photos of this phenomena.

weedguru_waffles

Post by weedguru_waffles » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:26 pm

wow!! so pretty!! I want to see one of those!!! :)

Weedguru Higher

Post by Weedguru Higher » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:41 pm

Light Pillars

Light pillars appear as eerily upright luminous columns in the sky, beacons cast into the air above without an apparent source. These are visible when light reflects just right off of ice crystals from either the sun (as in the two top images above) or from artificial ground sources such as street or park lights. Despite their appearance as near-solid columns of light, the effect is entirely created by our own relative viewpoint.

Weedguru_Falkon

Post by Weedguru_Falkon » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:21 pm

Some part of the image linking/posting on this forum doesn't work right. I see "image" A hell of a lot...
Ikku wrote:I personally don't find it to taste plasticy, I think it tastes good. Like fractally flowery hyperspace.

Weedguru Higher

Post by Weedguru Higher » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:49 pm

Weedguru_Falkon wrote:Some part of the image linking/posting on this forum doesn't work right. I see "image" A hell of a lot...
Ya me too. Do you see image in this thread? Cause I don't...I posted elsewhere some pics and yesterday they were fine but today they say image..

Weedguru_Falkon

Post by Weedguru_Falkon » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:47 am

Your light pillar post says Image at the bottom.

pkkupo
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope

Post by pkkupo » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:40 am

Odd, I can still see all of them...
Like all dreamers, I mistook disenchantment for truth...

Weedguru Higher

Post by Weedguru Higher » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:35 am

Very strange....

Weedguru_Falkon

Post by Weedguru_Falkon » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:36 am

Could be the origin of the links... Countries and all.

Weedguru Higher

Post by Weedguru Higher » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:46 pm

Mammatus Clouds

True to their ominous appearance, mammatus clouds are often harbingers of a coming storm or other extreme weather system. Typically composed primarily of ice, they can extend for hundreds of miles in each direction and individual formations can remain visibly static for ten to fifteen minutes at a time. While they may appear foreboding they are merely the messengers – appearing around, before or even after severe weather.