Colorado legalizes Marijuana

Have any news that needs publishing, or want to comment on a current article? Post here

Moderator: Moderators

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Colorado legalizes Marijuana

Post by weedguru_animal » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:21 am

Last week was a momentous week, the beginning of the end, perhaps, of a national depravity – the "war on drugs". The voters of Colorado and Washington passed measures to legalise marijuana, amounting to local shifts, for the moment. So we shouldn't delude ourselves that the country will be transformed overnight, but the public thinking, the public spirit is being transformed. Finally, there is a growing realisation that this "war" has produced nothing but a legacy of failure. And who wants to be associated with failure?

Let's be clear what we're discussing here. Not in question is the ravaging impact drugs can have on individuals – too many of us know people who have suffered in this way. But we need to see addiction for what it is – not a criminal matter but a public health issue, and a huge social issue, especially for the young. In fact, instead of a "war on drugs", better to call it a war on children.

In many parts of our country, a child strays a little at 14; tries a drug, can't think of any way to pay for it, and then sinks into the underground economy. Before long, he has a strike on his record, a strike that will be with him for the rest of his life. So you have a cycle of degradation, starting at 13, 14, and he never gets out of it. We now know so much about child development, the importance of the early years, how communities develop. Instead we eviscerate neighbourhoods, we strip away the infrastructure that once provided towns with resources.

And with this "war", we're talking about the erasure of a population – which was once black America, now just poor America. These are people removed from the official American story – just last week the millions of them locked up, often for non-violent drug-related crimes, did not participate in our democracy. So, at the very minimum, you are taking the poor away from the levers of power.

There is a new consensus that the economic view is becoming more influential in shifting attitudes on drugs, that the amount of money saved from policing and the amount gained through taxing legalised drugs is swaying opinion. Obviously we would all shudder to think we live in a country where only the economic collapse of a depravity like this should bring about its end. But I think it's also true that what's happening is more complicated – economic calculations meeting up with humanitarian concerns. So you have the likes of Grover Norquist, the conservative founder of Americans for Tax Reform, and Chris Christie, the Republican New Jersey governor, finding unlikely bedfellows with Russell Simmons and Danny Glover, producers on my film. All see a failed approach.

When I set off to make my film, I wanted to speak to people all over the country touched by drugs. The users and dealers and family members; but also judges and police and wardens. I expected to be a sort of court reporter, capturing an argument between these two camps.

In fact, everybody sounded like a victim. The people who work in the penal system want those jobs like they want a hole in the head; they are doing work they take no pride in. Ultimately, there are very few people who want to work in a system whose success relies on a churn of your fellow humans to lock up. And, of course – in class terms – there's far more commonality. Prison guards would tell me that they had relatives in prison, high school friends. And, hauntingly, everyone had a story about how broken the system was.

But there's a shocking fatalism in play. What I found was lots of people saying: "Eugene, I know the system is broken and I wish you well. But dream on, it is so vast and has so much bureaucratic thrust you're deluding yourself if you think it can be fixed." But these wardens would then say: "But until you do, I have to do my job, and by God, I'm an American and I'm going to do it better than the next guy."

Admirable in one sense, but it greases the wheels for the continuing operation of the machine. So a judge will quite sincerely tell you how he has no choice but to imprison a non-violent person for 20 years because of mandatory sentencing – and he's right – but then, over lunch, he'll tell you how much he regrets doing so. For a country founded in revolution, we have become spectacularly unmoored from the notion of revolutionary behaviour. Instead, we keep the bodies moving through the system.

I'm not going to pretend that the collapse of the "war on drugs" would transform life chances overnight for those born poorest in America. But, if you were to stop kneecapping many communities, you would free them to at least get their feet on the ground in normal ways. You could also save such a tremendous amount of money that you could ask yourself: what could I do that would plant a tree? What could I do in the neighbourhoods that would actually foster the values that built civilisation and would help young people find pathways other than those that end up in addiction?

Progress is not going to be made immediately on the national stage. Obama, I'm sure, would recognise the logic in the film, and then he would do what he has done for the past four years – he wakes up with the Washington machine. Four years ago, I met with his team; they said all the right things. Don't talk about a war on drugs, they said. You don't have a war against your own people. But, still, they've carried on in the same way.

What will bring about change is public demand. The public has to boo and hiss politicians who pander in this way – who say they are being tough on crime when they are destroying communities. We need to tell them that we won't let them vilify our neighbour to keep the penal system running. We will do that if we recognise that drug-mongering is no more substantial than WMD-mongering. And we know how that turned out. Americans have been an impressionable lot, but we're becoming less so. Bit by bit, we're realising that the "war on drugs" makes no sense. And, if we let politicians know this, they have no choice but to become smarter and answer our demands.

taken from >
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... -marijuana
News, football and ranting
http://thedissolutefox.com/

omnific.dc
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Re: Colorado legalizes Marijuana

Post by omnific.dc » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:15 pm

Totally. It's only a plant..and what it's a drug? Please..

Weedguru Higher
Tetrahydrocannabinologist
Tetrahydrocannabinologist

Post by Weedguru Higher » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:44 pm

A step closer, to worldwide legalization!

COMMON QUESTIONS ABOUT LEGAL WEED IN COLORADO?

Now that A64 has passed and been signed into state constitution, how much pot can an adult possess in Colorado?

Adults age 21 and older can possess up to an ounce of marijuana and grow up to six plants privately.

So, if an adult possesses more than an ounce, what will happen to them?

They will still be penalized, unless they are a medical marijuana patient. Medical marijuana patients are allowed to possess up to two ounces, and more in some cases.

How many plants can be grown by an individual? How many can be flowering? Does size matter? What if those plants grow more than an ounce?

Under Amendment 64, adults 21 and older are allowed to grow up to six plants, with only three of the plants being mature, flowering plants. The adult is allowed to privately possess the usable harvest from those six plants (which may be more than one ounce). It should be noted, however, that the harvest of those six plants must remain on the premise where it was grown.

Can an adult buy recreational marijuana from a dispensary?

People that are not registered medical marijuana patients may not purchase marijuana from dispensaries. Only medical marijuana patients can purchase marijuana from a dispensary.

Where can a person obtain marijuana legally at this point?

Adults 21 and older can cultivate up to six marijuana plants in their home. Or they could accept a gift of up to an ounce of marijuana from another person 21 or older.

Does A64 pertain to Colorado residents only or can tourists enjoy the benefits?

There is no residency requirement under Amendment 64.

If stopped by the police, what will happen if an adult 21 or over has an ounce or less of pot on them in the state?

They will not be penalized or arrested for marijuana.

Can an adult smoke pot in public? How about in the privacy of their home?

No, an adult cannot smoke marijuana publicly. Amendment 64 provides that nothing shall permit consumption that is conducted openly and publicly or in a manner that endangers others. Adults are able to consume marijuana in their homes, but their landlords could act to restrict this action.

If a tourist obtains legal marijuana in Colorado, what happens if they carry that marijuana beyond state lines?

Marijuana still remains illegal at the federal level. If someone transports a controlled substance across state lines, they could face felony prosecution for their actions. They could also face prosecution in the state they are bringing the marijuana to.

If an adult works at a so-called "drug-free" business, are they protected under Amendment 64 to still consume marijuana if it doesn't effect their work?

By its terms, Amendment 64 allows employers to prohibit use by employees only in the workplace. While employers may restrict use, nothing in the Amendment specifically authorizes discipline or termination simply for off-duty use. Terminations may give rise to legal claims, especially if off-duty exercise of the Constitutional right does not interfere with job performance.

How would an adult best avoid federal interference in growing their own legal marijuana for personal use?

An adult over the age of 21 should strictly adhere to the rules promulgated under Amendment 64. Given a recent comment made by President Obama, law enforcement priorities should not be directed at those in compliance with state's legalization laws.

So, even though it is now legal in the state, could a person growing the legal amount of marijuana and/or possessing the legal amount of marijuana still potentially be charged with a federal crime? Is this any different than the risks that medical marijuana dispensaries/patients deal with every day already?

Potentially that is possible. However, in light of a comment made by President Obama, enforcement priorities will not be directed at people in states that have recently passed legalization initiatives. These risks are similar to those dealt with by dispensaries and patients every day.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/1 ... 22101.html

omnific.dc
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by omnific.dc » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:21 pm

Literally down here most are breaking the law, but despite that it is less dangerous in Colorado but people, like neighbours can still report.

cutthecashflow
Intellecutally Wasted
Intellecutally Wasted

Post by cutthecashflow » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:48 pm

I'm headed to Denver in March I'll be sure to let you all know about this new and exciting cultural experience.
Get busy living or get busy dying.

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:40 am

Perhaps you could take a photo diary of sorts, CTCF?? a WG eye and lung view of Denver's progressive drug laws...

cutthecashflow
Intellecutally Wasted
Intellecutally Wasted

Post by cutthecashflow » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:31 am

If I can borrow a camera from someone then I sure will. I suppose the camera on this phone would work, but it's the uploading process that becomes a real pain.

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:09 am

i look forward to consuming your welcome reportage, CTCF...

cutthecashflow
Intellecutally Wasted
Intellecutally Wasted

Post by cutthecashflow » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:47 am

Members of congress are currently meeting and will soon vote to determine if what Colorado and Washington are doing is actually legal o a federal level, if so expect more states to follow suite.

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:17 am

One of the very few positives about the US government (combined with the UK) having a huge say in Australian politics could well be this legalization issue. I know little of the laws here...so...I will consult first Wikipedia->

Cannabis is the most widely used illicit drug in Australia, with a reported one-third of all Australians aged 14 or older (33.5%, about 5.8 million) having tried cannabis and 1.6 million using it in the past year.[1] It is estimated that 750,000 Australians use cannabis every week, and approximately 300,000 smoke it on a daily basis.[2] Australia has one of the highest cannabis prevalence rates in the world, and research shows that Australia's indigenous population has higher levels of cannabis use. Although cannabis is illegal in Australia, the country has largely avoided a punitive drug policy, instead focusing on harm-minimisation strategies and a treatment framework embedded in a law-enforcement regime. There are high levels of support for cannabis legalisation in Australia.

Interesting. Definitely a subject I need to do more research with, if only to find out which states are further along the lines of decriminalisation.

Yet...to return to my original point; if the legalization cause improves in the US, it will add pressure and momentum to the legalization cause here. I doubt it will have any/much effect in the UK, for they are much less controlled by the US, more controlled by the commercial interests which own the government which seem quite different to the military-industrial-media-pharmaceutical complex which owns and runs the US government, at least the parts of it that Tel Aviv don't control. At the end of the day, the people running the systems we live in are focused 100$ on wealth accumulation. If weed becomes a legal moneymaker, expect other governments to follow suit sharply.

cutthecashflow
Intellecutally Wasted
Intellecutally Wasted

Post by cutthecashflow » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:43 pm

I imagine that it's starting to gain popular opinion because the old guard (generation above my dad) is starting to die off. I spoke with my old man on the phone the other night and he thinks soon it will be nationally legal, followed by a global consensus for westernized nations.