Crime and Punishment.

Book reviews, creative writing, essays...

Moderator: Moderators

sugarstalker
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Crime and Punishment.

Post by sugarstalker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:46 pm

By Fyodor M. Dostojevskij.

A truly fantastic book. I did not think I would enjoy it as much as I did. But the insight that is being presented into the minds of the people is astonishing.

The way our protagonist (or should it be antagonist?) is portrayed offers me, atleast, a distaste for his behaviour, but at the same time I sympathize with his internal struggeling. I, don't really know what to say about it. I just thought it was a fantastic read.

Other than that I picked up a book called the Prague cemetery, by a gentleman called Umberto Eco. I'm about halfway now and... I'm not really sure what to say. The extreme anti-semitism and racism I find distasteful, even though I know it's pretty much what the book is about. He fills his pages with descriptions of the characters dining experiences and thoughts about Haute cuisine that I can't see the point to, or relate to. I might be missing something here but so far it has not captivated me in the same way that I had hoped. So much for taking advice from the staff at the bookstore.