What are you reading at the moment?

Book reviews, creative writing, essays...

Moderator: Moderators

Trudyagina
Why Hello There !

What are you reading at the moment

Post by Trudyagina » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:41 pm

I just finished "American Film Criticism" by Stanley Kauffman. He does a series of essays in the back on various films that are great.

His insights on "Persona" 1966 are better than most full volume books Ive read on that film. He also did a great essay on "Way Down East" 1920.

I re-read Remarques "Three Comrades" recently because of the showing on TCM. The man has a beautiful way with words and that book never gets old.

Since Vonnegut just died, I was thinking of revisiting "God bless You Mr. Rosewater" as that was my personal favorite of his works.

sugarstalker
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Re: What are you reading at the moment?

Post by sugarstalker » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:11 pm

considering what book to read next, I think it's either going to be Nabokov's Lolita, or Yukio Mishima's Tetralogy the sea of fertility.

recently finished Mo Yan's Big Breasts and Wide Hips which was an interesting read.

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:58 am

Trudging through the first section of Bulgakov's White Guard. Solely on the strength of the wonderful Master and Margarita, and also A Country Doctor's Notebook. Both of which I consider classics of the highest order. Sitting in my living room are A Hero of our Time, Conversations with William Burroughs and Queen Margot. All of which I am incredibly eager to embrace...

Welcome to the site, Trudy. I will have to research this Remarquez fellow...
News, football and ranting
http://thedissolutefox.com/

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:56 am

After labouring though The White Guard, I moved onto Lermontov's A Hero of Our Times, which was brilliant. Since then, maintaining my focus on the russians, I have returned to Bulgakov and am now midway through A Dead Man's Memoirs.

sugarstalker
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by sugarstalker » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:24 am

Recently finished Dubliners, Joyce's collection of short stories about.... people from dublin. Looking for something new now. Any suggestions?

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:33 am

Try Bulgakov, mate...The Master and Margarita. If not, Lermontov's A Hero of Our Time. Both outstanding...failing which, The Place of Dead Roads by Burroughs.

sugarstalker
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by sugarstalker » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:48 pm

Bulgakov, was that the guy who wrote Lolita?

edit: thought that sounded wrong, so I googled it, and I was right. Nabokov wrote Lolita.

I'll check out Bulgakov for sure.

sugarstalker
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by sugarstalker » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:07 am

Ah.. Just got an email from amazon, and my copy of the master and margarita, the prince and the brothers karamazov are on their way and will arrive shortly. Now if only the prince of spring would overthrow king winter's rule and grace us with some much needed warmth and sun.

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:11 am

sugarstalker wrote:Ah.. Just got an email from amazon, and my copy of the master and margarita, the prince and the brothers karamazov are on their way and will arrive shortly. Now if only the prince of spring would overthrow king winter's rule and grace us with some much needed warmth and sun.
The brothers Karamazov will always be one of my favourite reads of all time. Its a faultless, brilliant novel and one which must be read only when you have the time and situation to allow you to dive into the pages and let the rest of your life run by alongside until the final page is consumed. Dostoyevsky doesnt just bring characters to life, he brings a realm to life.

Bulgakov is markedly different. Far more comical.

I suspect you will like them both. And what is the prince?? Or is it a reference to my dear Prince Myshkin??? For which I would repeat the same praise as rendered upwards of here for the Brothers.

sugarstalker
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by sugarstalker » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:32 pm

ah, no, it wouldn't be the feeble minded Prince Muishkin, but rather Machiavelli's book "The prince" where he writes about statecraft and the different kind of principalities etc.

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:10 am

I never found Myshchkin feeble-minded...it seemed a clear aspect of the book that the vapid, disloyal and often cruel society around him saw his Jesus-esque divinity, continued trust in humanity despite the many setbacks, as feeble. I took it as an obvious, rightful stab at the majority of people of that time, and any time really...Myshkin understood when people were skanking him, he forgave and always hoped for the best in everybody. Which I found beautiful. A truly beautiful and pure soul. I have known one man in my life who was as honest as the Prince, simply never lied, to anyone, for anything. I am close to sure he ended his own life a few years back. The world is rarely pleasant and kind to a honest man.

Myshkin was a saint.

Well, that was at least my understanding, Sugar!

sugarstalker
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by sugarstalker » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:20 pm

weedguru_animal wrote:I never found Myshchkin feeble-minded...it seemed a clear aspect of the book that the vapid, disloyal and often cruel society around him saw his Jesus-esque divinity, continued trust in humanity despite the many setbacks, as feeble. I took it as an obvious, rightful stab at the majority of people of that time, and any time really...Myshkin understood when people were skanking him, he forgave and always hoped for the best in everybody. Which I found beautiful. A truly beautiful and pure soul. I have known one man in my life who was as honest as the Prince, simply never lied, to anyone, for anything. I am close to sure he ended his own life a few years back. The world is rarely pleasant and kind to a honest man.

Myshkin was a saint.

Well, that was at least my understanding, Sugar!

I completely agree with what you said. But as you mention, it is how he is being looked at in the book. I guess you might call it childish naïvité.

There were two people in the idiot (as far as i got into the book) that I liked and that was the Prince himself, and Rogozhin. I think you find Rogozhin quite likeable aswell, Animal, but I might be wrong. A very passionate fellow, him.

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:09 pm

You are spot-on, buddy...Rogozhin was easy to relate to. Has The Master arrived yet??? I am nearing the end of Dead Mans memoirs, had allowed my hopes to rise very slightly at the prospect of Hunter's final letters collection finding release in March, after been delayed for 5 years now, but typically...its been delayed yet again. I will probably give Martin Amis my attention, as a dear and intriguing sprite lady has suggested his cynicism and barbed humour mixed with a good heart remind her of me...

sugarstalker
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by sugarstalker » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:15 pm

Oh yes. the Master and Margarita has been lying on my desk for a couple of days now. I have just been busy reading the Prince to prepare myself for my ascension into princedom, you never know when that might happen.

School has also been taking it's toll, so I don't have too much time for reading at the moment. But I am soon done with this semester, and then I will devour both the master and the brothers.

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:21 am

Wayfarers by Knut Hamsun. Hugely enjoyed Mysteries, found intrigue in Hunger and the latest of his work to find me seems equally top drawer.