Weights, Measurements, Prices and Mathematics

New to cannabis?? Learn the ropes in here...

Moderator: Moderators

Weedguru Higher
Tetrahydrocannabinologist

Post by Weedguru Higher » Wed May 05, 2010 11:36 am

Unknown Author

I find it funny how many people email me and ask me what a good sack should weigh, without even telling me the state or country that they live in, as though there is a government agency that publishes a national price guide for dealers.

But when I think back to my early days of dealing, I realize I didn't quite know how dramatically prices and quality could vary just going from one town to the next. However, having a grasp on fair weights is very important to a beginning drug dealer. It's best to ask people. Get a few different perspectives from people who have sold or bought pot in your area.

In the United States, pot is usually bought in ounces and pounds. (I imagine Canada and every other country in the world uses the metric system.) One of the most common quantities to purchase is a quarter pound or "Q.P." A Q.P. is obviously the same as four ounces (sixteen ounces in a pound, remember?) and weighs 112 grams. In my area, a Q.P. runs about $800-$1000 for decent British Columbian hydroponic weed, and less for the occasional time when we have Mexican ditch weed.

An ounce should weigh 28 grams, in my area running about $260. An eighth of an ounce, usually just called an "eighth", should be 3.5 grams. In my area, an eighth costs $40. $40 and $20 (sometimes called a "Dub") sacks sometimes are not weighed to their technical weight. If you plan on under-weighing an eighth at 3.3 grams, for example, it's not appropriate to call it an eighth, because technically it's not. This comes back to ethics and honesty. I suggest telling the customer and apologizing every time you sell an under-weighed sack. As with $5 sacks ("nickel bag") and $10 sacks ("dime bag"), their weights vary greatly from person to person as well as city to city.

When you first start figuring out how you're going to run your business, sit down with a calculator and figure out all the mathematics of it, and how much you need to weigh your sacks in order to make the amount of profit you wish to make, and how much you expect to make per deal. If you suck at math, get another dealer to help you. This sounds elementary, but I've seen people get confused and lose money because they didn't have a confident grasp of the mathematics of drug dealing. Obviously, if you weigh your sacks too light, people will start shopping somewhere they can get a fair deal (unless you hassle tourists day in and day out) but if they're too heavy, you won't make much money.

In my area, an ounce runs around $240-$280. At $40 for eight eighths, that comes out to $320 with a profit of $40-$80. I usually figure a %10-%20 profit is reasonable, depending on how many deals you had to make.

For most professional dealers, a twenty sack is not worth the time or the risk in order to sell it. At 1.7 grams (approximately half an eighth), your profit is usually going to be less than $5 or $6. Since every deal you make is possible to attract the cops (especially if you deal out of your home), the more sales you make, the more risk you're taking, so obviously, the larger sales are more important than the smaller ones. Once you get to the point where you're making more than a couple sales a day, my recommendation is to start refusing to sell anything less than $40.

http://dahustla2.tripod.com/id24.html

binsk420
Why Hello There !

Re: Weights, Measurements, Prices and Mathematics

Post by binsk420 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:39 pm

wow. that reallly sucks for you guys in us. i w as like wtf. light sacks? heavy ones? like wtf. us its straight up 10 bucks a gram. andyou get the full 1 gram you paid for. and for me I pay 20 bucks for an eighth. 80 bucks a half ounce. & about 150$ an ounce

Ilovetoroll
Why Hello There !

Post by Ilovetoroll » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:32 am

Dam. I can get an ounce to $285 and that's cheap for where I live.

Weedguru Higher

Post by Weedguru Higher » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:41 pm

I didn't write that article...

I can get an ounce of some outdoor weed for $100-$120 and some real good indoor grown stuff for $160 :D

omnific.dc
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by omnific.dc » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:29 am

nice..

blackxs
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by blackxs » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:42 pm

binsk420 wrote:wow. that reallly sucks for you guys in us. i w as like wtf. light sacks? heavy ones? like wtf. us its straight up 10 bucks a gram. andyou get the full 1 gram you paid for. and for me I pay 20 bucks for an eighth. 80 bucks a half ounce. & about 150$ an ounce
Its not a US-only thing

I live in the US and this has never happened to me more than once. I get shorted, I call the fucker, tell him to give me the shit he owes me - 3/5 times it happened they gave me at LEAST an extra gram to make up for trying to short me. Then I never called those dealers again.

This happens in Europe too. People get shorted everywhere. And 10 "bucks" if that is euros, translates to the same exact prices we are paying.

Plus in Europe people put glass shards in your weed and have some nasty chemicals they put in it. Especially in the UK this is very bad and all too common.
If you agree with the above post, please decrease my karma