New Laptop

Technical / Computer related discussion board.

Moderator: Moderators

Dr. Greenthumb
Stoned Immaculate
Stoned Immaculate

New Laptop

Post by Dr. Greenthumb » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:18 am

I'm shopping for a new laptop for school. I don't want to spend any more than a few hundred dollars on it. I have a portable 320gb harddrive i keep all my stuff so i don't need alot of memory. It's going to be used mainly for looking up things online, writing up papers, and later on i have to use some kind of medical data entry program.

At first I looked at netbooks but I was told they don't have external drive ports and they're just as expensive as laptops. I'm gonna go to the store tomorrow and do some hands on comparing.

Just wanted to hear what you guys had to say as far as brands go and what's been good to you. The one I have now has lasted me 5 years but I need something that runs smoother and has better battery life.

“Cannibalism? Racism? Dude, that’s not for us ... those decisions are better left to the suits in Washington. We’re just here to eat some dude!”
-Charlie Kelly

Bubbles
The Green Bastard
The Green Bastard

Re: New Laptop

Post by Bubbles » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:06 am

whatever you do, do not buy a dell laptop.

WeedGuru_Flow
Red Eye Jedi

Post by WeedGuru_Flow » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:38 am

I have a HP Pavillion, very good laptop, not too big either,harddisks will always be inthere because a computer boots it's Operating system from it, but then again I'm no expert.

Best to just inform the salesman of what you want, have him give you a couple of models, go back home, check them out(they'll tell you anything to get you buying) and decide!

Good luck buddy!
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we would all be running around darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music.

13laze
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Post by 13laze » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:45 am

Dr. Greenthumb
Stoned Immaculate
Stoned Immaculate

Post by Dr. Greenthumb » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:16 pm

anyone else had a problem with dells? Mine has lasted me quite a while, except for the battery> I have to keep the thing constantly plugged in.
“Cannibalism? Racism? Dude, that’s not for us ... those decisions are better left to the suits in Washington. We’re just here to eat some dude!”
-Charlie Kelly

SpRi7e
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by SpRi7e » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:23 pm

Dells are good.. if you want to spend extra money on their brand name. Dell's are just way over priced for their performance

I actually have a dell from 7 years ago that's still running smooth.. but I could have gotten it WAY cheaper if I knew more about computers at the time
Peace Not Greed.

(weedguru)scarf
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by (weedguru)scarf » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:25 pm

Im using a sony vaio now and loving it... you pay alittle extra but it seems to be worth it

my first thought was to just have a netbook... im suprised there are no usb hubs.
surely there are some on there?
woah

Dr. Greenthumb
Stoned Immaculate
Stoned Immaculate

Post by Dr. Greenthumb » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:06 am

^Yeah that was what really turned me off them to. That and the minimal price difference between it and a regular laptop.

I still gotta go to best buy to get a feel for the different ones and see if they have any netbooks with usb ports. I'm guessing they do.
-Charlie Kelly

(weedguru)scarf
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by (weedguru)scarf » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:45 am

it would surprise me greatly if they didnt.
woah