I need PC help!

Technical / Computer related discussion board.

Moderator: Moderators

Weedguru Higher
Tetrahydrocannabinologist

I need PC help!

Post by Weedguru Higher » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:17 pm

I know this is the wrong forum, but I wanna be sure everyone sees it..I'll move it to Tech later

Alright, here's the deal.

My girlfriend is a car mechanic and for awhile shes been wanting to buy a special PC program for mechanics called AllData...it's basically all kinds of repair info for all makes and models of cars. It costs a fortune though...a copied copy from someone woulda cost about $400... There is a main program along with about 16 DVD disks that you need...Depending on the car you request, the program tells you which info disk is needed. Disk 1 and 2 is GM, 3 and 4 is Ford etc...

So, I managed to find the installation disk (main program) in the form of a Torrent. It needs a key to work but I managed to get around it using a crack (the instructions came with the program). The program worked, but I still needed the DVD's. The disks in form of a torrent woulda taken me like 3 months to download cause of lack of seeders. Lucky for us her boss had a second copy of them and gave them to us. So, the program works perfectly.

Now, here's my questions.

I want to make a copy of the whole thing, program and DVD's. The DVD's are between about 2 and 3 GB each. What program do I need to copy them and how long will each disk take to copy?

Next..I have a laptop with 1 DVD drive that can copy...so this means I have to copy the disk to my hard drive then copy it onto a new DVD I assume?? How long does that take per disk?

Next...The main program, can I copy that easily or not? Can I just slap it onto a USB key or a disk or what? Seeing that it needs a key, will copying it work? Will it work on another PC?

Next...what's the difference between cheap DVD-R and more expensive ones?

Next..If I needed good ones, what brand is recommended? The ones I have are Memorex..50 DVD for 9.99.

Hope my terms are correct cause I know this stuff just in french terms hehe....If I am making no sense please ask

Thanks

Weedguru Higher

Re: I need PC help!

Post by Weedguru Higher » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:59 am

Anybody? Somebody?....

C'mon folks....I need to figure out how to copy this damn thing asap....

Weedguru has to have an answer for me....

Please?

God damnit....I'll delete the tech section if nobody has an answer for me lol.....whats the point of a tech forum if there's no techies here??

Ok, so the deleting thing is a joke....I'm a little drunk right now haha

Is there a forum anyone knows of where I could get answers if you guys can't help?

Forget the fact that it's a mechanic program nobody has ever heard of....imagine it being a pc game or something normal...same difference in the end

+++ Karma for correct answers to my dilema!!

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:12 am

http://btjunkie.org/search?q=DVD+rip&c=3

DVD-R you can use once. DVD RW you can record on, multiple times. As far as I know, you can buy DVDs of better quality, and also, of larger storage.

I have used a few programs in the past for such demands...though it takes so fucking long to convert a DVD to a .avi or .mpg that it has proven quicker to simply download torrents of the files in question, though this does not seem possible for you...so try shampoo...http://ineedfile.com/shampoo-dvdrip.

(weedguru)scarf
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by (weedguru)scarf » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:55 am

my approach to this would be to not use discs as they wear out after a while.
instead.... copy all of the dvd's to your harddrive... 3-4gb will probably take 10-15 minutes per disc
depending on the speed of your machine.

so 15 discs was it? 45gb? or there abouts? and the program.
i would then place it all in a zip file or iso file and keep it stored on an external harddrive, you can pick up 60gb pocket flash drives pretty cheap...

this would be the route i would take, simply because i think its the most full proof.

as far as programs to rip data from dvd;s i think most burning software does it... i use ashampoo.
woah

Weedguru Higher

Post by Weedguru Higher » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:30 am

Thanks guys..

Hadn't thought about what you said scarf..

(weedguru)scarf
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by (weedguru)scarf » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:38 am

no problem :rastasmoke:
woah