13 inch notebooks

Technical / Computer related discussion board.

Moderator: Moderators

(weedguru)scarf
Ganja God
Ganja God

13 inch notebooks

Post by (weedguru)scarf » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:09 am

Anyone have any reccomendations..
I want something above 2GHZ, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD or above.

Have been looking at Asus, Sony and Dell.

woah

weedguru_waffles

Re: 13 inch notebooks

Post by weedguru_waffles » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:18 am

get a macbook pro!! :)
(15" is the best though, especially if you are doing any sort of design, the bigger the better :p)

(weedguru)scarf
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by (weedguru)scarf » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:32 am

Thanks Waffles.
The reason i want a 13 inch is for the portability... as i have a 22inch screen to connect to when working on CAD etc.

I am not opposed to Macs, but feel that they cause so much grief with having to run multiple boot ups for certain programs..
I would rather stick to a PC
woah

(weedguru)scarf
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by (weedguru)scarf » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:35 am

I think im going to get this one... or the model above it
http://www.sony.com.au/product/vpcs113fg
woah

weedguru_waffles

Post by weedguru_waffles » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:38 am

(weedguru)scarf wrote:Thanks Waffles.
The reason i want a 13 inch is for the portability... as i have a 22inch screen to connect to when working on CAD etc.

I am not opposed to Macs, but feel that they cause so much grief with having to run multiple boot ups for certain programs..
I would rather stick to a PC
whaa? I run about 3-4 adobe programs and on top of that 4 other programs, never had a problem with it.
The only thing that sucks... is the battery. It only has 300 charges.... (which lasted me two years) but the new macbooks have about 1000 charges...

(weedguru)scarf
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by (weedguru)scarf » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:17 pm

doesnt seem like a lot of chargers... what if you leave the power cable in and work for long periods time..
I know everyone with a mac in the course struggle to run Rhinoceros 3D modeling... Im not sure about 3DS Max as it is recently become an adobe product...
but having said this a lot of people still have them, as does the uni itself.
woah

Liles
Bonghead
Bonghead

Post by Liles » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:41 am

All macs are overpriced, in my opinion and experience.

People flock to them because they think they're different, cool and seem to believe everything apple shove down their throats, but in reality it's only the OS that's different.

Also I love it when people think macs are better than PCs, what silly silly people...

Aesthetically pleasing though I must say.
[img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Liles.png[/img]

weedguru_waffles

Post by weedguru_waffles » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:49 am

Liles wrote:All macs are overpriced, in my opinion and experience.

People flock to them because they think they're different, cool and seem to believe everything apple shove down their throats, but in reality it's only the OS that's different.

Also I love it when people think macs are better than PCs, what silly silly people...

Aesthetically pleasing though I must say.
not exactly. I bought it because of my program. It has a more user friendly interface. Although when I first began to use a mac I hated it with a passion!!! I didn't know where anything was, and was even against buying ipods (still am...) my macbook is the only thing I have by apple, and I don't regret getting it. It runs much faster than my pc... or any pc that I ever used, runs al my programs simultaneously smoothly... I love it. Although I doubt I'd ever get a mac if I wasn't in a graphic design program....
Although I still do use a PC but that's at work only...

The only thing that I'm really not that happy with is the battery life, but since I am still under warranty, they changed it for me free of cost... and my 1st one lasted me two years... so I guess that's not too bad. But like I said, the new macbooks have thousand charges compared to mine, which was only 300...

BTW iPAD really?? iPad really, why not the iTab. It seems like a waste of money. Unless you want to read BOOKS woooo then its a must have! lol Plus the name itself... just put together 4 iPod touches together!
(weedguru)scarf wrote:doesnt seem like a lot of chargers... what if you leave the power cable in and work for long periods time..
I know everyone with a mac in the course struggle to run Rhinoceros 3D modeling... Im not sure about 3DS Max as it is recently become an adobe product...
but having said this a lot of people still have them, as does the uni itself.
Yeah... I leave it plugged in a lot of the time, but I do travel with it a lot... pretty much daily to school and back...
3ds max... never tried running on my mac, although I do have a really old version of it on my PC.... which I never really end up using anyways... I tried to self teach it but failed... and gave up, and never looked back lol.

Liles
Bonghead
Bonghead

Post by Liles » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:51 am

A mac is a PC, that's why it's silly to think they're better.

Also I did miss out the good programs they have, as the wise Rasta red-eye said: "Logic would piss all over cubase"

weedguru_waffles

Post by weedguru_waffles » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:08 am

^ eh?

Program wise... I have some that you probably wouldn't, technically I was supposed to buy them, but I have awesome friends who just gave me the CD with the keys and installed it for me haha :)

I like the computers and the operating system, the price and company is poop tho.
I bet if Windows... and Mac were at the same price, you wouldn't care which one you got! hah.

Liles
Bonghead
Bonghead

Post by Liles » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:12 am

weedguru_waffles wrote:I like the computers and the operating system, the price and company is poop tho.
I bet if Windows... and Mac were at the same price, you wouldn't care which one you got! hah.
My Windows was free, so I think I'd rather stick with that.

But I would never go mac, I'm a computer hobbyist, I build, run and tweak my system for funsies and you can't do that with a mac.

Also what's the eh for? :|

(weedguru)scarf
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by (weedguru)scarf » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:35 am

So liles, if you were getting a 13 inch notebook for autocad, modeling work... what would you get?
My previous two have been asus, but they dont have an attractive 13 inch version
woah

weedguru_waffles

Post by weedguru_waffles » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:30 pm

Liles wrote:
weedguru_waffles wrote:I like the computers and the operating system, the price and company is poop tho.
My Windows was free, so I think I'd rather stick with that.

But I would never go mac, I'm a computer hobbyist, I build, run and tweak my system for funsies and you can't do that with a mac.

Also what's the eh for? :|

nevermind lol.

Weedguru Higher
Tetrahydrocannabinologist
Tetrahydrocannabinologist

Post by Weedguru Higher » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:49 pm

The "eh" is a canadian thing :)

Liles
Bonghead
Bonghead

Post by Liles » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:55 pm

Weedguru Higher wrote:The "eh" is a canadian thing :)
Silly Canadians :D
(weedguru)scarf wrote:So liles, if you were getting a 13 inch notebook for autocad, modeling work... what would you get?
My previous two have been asus, but they dont have an attractive 13 inch version
I don't do laptops/notebooks so I really couldn't give you a recommendation from experience, but what's your budget? I'll ask around my nerdy friends to see what they think'll do the job.