Juventus - La vecchia signora

Chat about sports you watch or partake in here.

Moderator: Moderators

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Fiorentina 1-2 Juventus

Post by weedguru_animal » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:08 am

Two teams who are both clearly short on confidence. With us looking far worse off mentally and tactically than our opponents. We won due more to luck and the difference in quality of two or three players in key positions, than through any semblance of a decent performance.

Admittedly, Diego put his goal away nicely, though he could very easily have been flagged offside, Grosso's strike was beautiful, in terms of both creation and execution, and Marchisio chould have put the icing on the cake with our only other clear cut chance of the match. But still...

Our passing game, as a team, remains appalling.

We created far more width than normal, with Diego and Candreva as an attacking duo of offensive midfielders, though Trez's movement was slow and barely visible. Especially in the second half this 2-1 routine, with Iaquinta and also Marchisio pushing further forward and wider, we seemed more likely to cause problems for our opponents, than with a very static Trez as the target man.

Defensively, we were scarey. Legrotaglie seems solid in certain siutation, but is slow, fouls far too much in very dangerous positions, and much like the rest of the back four, hooves the ball EVEN NEAR THE START OF THE GAME. This hooving, just OUT, AWAY, is not the sign of a team confident of keeping possession, or doing something with possession. And its obvious why DIego especially has gotten angry, bitter even, over the months, as he looks, at times, like the ONLY player in the team who is capable of both receiving the ball in space and also finding a team-mate with hs return pass. Anyway, onto ratings:>

Manninger. 8/10. Didn't falp dangerously at anything, made several decent saves, especially one at point blank range from Gilardino. I saw that madness in his eyes...And once again, have regained my faith in the austrian lunatic. Solid and fearsome.

De Ceglie. 3/10. His passing is awful, positioning inadequate, tackling suspect...He has no natural talent as a footballer. But he certainly looks the part! and can run...

Zebina. 5/10. Either he is still miles away from match sharpness, or simply, over the last two seasons, his quality has dropped, deteriorated, and whilst he is strong enough to make fine challenges, and not as clumsy as Legro, his passing is woeful and the tendency to hoove, more suited to a schoolyard than the Juventus squad.

Legro. 5/10. Strong, slow, far too many fouls which a more confident fiorentina would have punished us for. The christian soldier needs to be put out to pasture. The sooner the better...And it makes me angry whenever I see him, and Canna smiling on the bench, when we have Ariuado, at another club.

Chiellini. 7/10. Guilty of clearing the ball straight to the opposition on several occasions, but also, he was head and shoulders above everyone else in our team defensively. Quality in the tackle, tried to spark something going forward, and had the pace that Legro lacked, the positioning that de ceglie will never learn, and the heart that is missing from most his team=mates. Not a vintage performance, but an effective one. ANd as the commentators said...'without him, the juve defence would be in constant turmoil'.

Melo. 6.5/10. No glaring errors, covered his midfield area obediently, and seems more comfortable with two other midfielders nearby, candreva and diego, who both want the ball and look for the ball. Coped well with the jeers...

Momo- 6/10. Wicked pass for the Grosso goal. Tried to get involved too much going forward and fucked up 9 times out of 10. Lacking his usual bite in the challenge...lethargic, but his assist was ultra important.

Marchisio. 6/10. Anonymous in the first half but came to life in the second period. Needs to show much more to continue to add substance to his reputation as one of the most promising central midfielders in Italy.

Diego.6.5/10. Took his offside goal with typical brazilian panache, was involved in almost all our decent moves going forward. Got bashed around but took it all on the chin. For the first 45 minutes he seemed our only player capable of passing and then looking for a return pass. Distrubution was okay, but affected like all others by a series of mistakes.

Candreva. 6/10. Less technically gifted than Diego, but his work rate was exceptional, and he never stopped trying to get us moving in offence. The jury remains out on whether he is worth keeping, but for now, in the absence of Gio and Camo, I am glad we have him the ranks.

Trez. 4/10. Lifeless. Lack of running and interest. Despondent character unable to find space. At best...still lacking match sharpness.

SUBS
Grosso- 8/10. Whether it was his introduction or Zach's team talk, we were a different outfit entirely when he entered the fray. Much more solid defensively and potent in the attacking third than the totally feckless De Ceglie. Took his goal superbly. In fact...the right flank of the fiorentina attack almost went dead as soon as Grosso appeared. Needs replacing, but on this evidence, is clearly our best option at left back.

Iaquinta. 6/10. Huffed and puffed and kept the fiorentina defence on their toes. Made good use of the whole breadth of the pitch, pulling players out wide to free up space in the middle. Encouraging signs, good to see him back.

Overall...we remain close to awful. And it is not just a problem of mentality. For players like De Ceglie and Legro, and Zebina, are shockingly short of the required quality at this level. We can take heart from the second half performance, and the bottom line is WE WON. 3 very important points. Which I would not have expected under Ciro...and yes...all without DP.
News, football and ranting
http://thedissolutefox.com/

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

The lack of a Proper Leader...at Juventus...

Post by weedguru_animal » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:43 pm

I don't see Caceres as possessing even a hint of Montero's brutality. The youngster has heart. Of that I have no doubt. And I like it. Especially in a team which lacks heart...But Montero was a pure savage. A man whose glance alone could cause unease not just amongst an opposing team, but the world as a whole. We have NOBODY in our present squad, who possesses such zeal for total subjugation of all before him...

melo indeed enjoys making challenges which take both ball AND player. In fact, he seems more determined to focus on this, than what he will do next. He would be terrible at snooker. For like my maltese shitsu wolverine puppy, he lives totally in the NOW. And this is shown most clearly, on those occasions, thankfully which we are seeing now, more plentifully, when he actually makes the kind of challenges, those occassions, when he does win the ball, and what he does next, is to yet again live in the moment...and try something spectacular, like a 40 yard crossfield ball to a half dead Trezeguet.hohoho! I love him.

Chiellini, yes, seriously enjoys taking the ball, and also the muscular confrontation, but he is not mean, like Montero.

Legro is a serious christian. I need not elaborate...other than to add...that its a disgrace that we have a board and manager who allows a man to be included in the squad, AND THE FUCKING TEAM, who sincerely believes that if he behaves like a decent, pliable choirboy, that god will take his genitals, give him a harp, and allow him to sing holy!holy!holy! for eternity. I just don't want someone like that in a football team I love dearly. Its wicked to have nice people in the world, and despite his niggling fouls, he always seems nice, but in a football team, battling for major honours, nice is lame...

Buffon has majestic integrity mixed with bravery, but again, is hardly likely to seriously scare people.

Momo DOES hurt people, but more often than not, completely unintentionally, and due, solely, to his shocking sense of timing. I have seen him take out OUR players almost as much as opposing players. And he rarely means to...

Which leaves? nobody...no proper leader. Nobody to look to and just know...that he will not only NEVER GIVE IN, but his mere presence is upsetting to the opponents.

I wouldn't want to play against Montero. But I would love to play against the present Juve squad, just avoiding Melo, and also Momo...and when i say, i wouldnt want to play against Montero. I mean, even if i was in a team of 11 against JUST MONTERO.

Looks cannot kill, but Montero CAN.

Playing against Montero, was literally, putting your life in the hands of a madman. Most people who value their existence, decide to give in, when facing such an End, often in view of thousands of people. Like a restrained christian, given to ravenous lions in the colloseum, as the crowd roars on with deafening bloodlust. Who wants to go out like that? Maybe easy-E, if he was still alive, but nobody else.

Having a player like that in your team, the fear factor, is gold dust...just look what wimbledon did, with Vinnie, that nasty little nazi Wise, and Fash the Bash. I would love to see those three playing in our first XI.

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Pavel Nedved

Post by weedguru_animal » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:43 pm

he was a human dynamo, who not only lived the cause, but fought the cause, and alligned it, with, for the majority of his career, quite superb technical abilities. To face a player technically superb, in an east european sense, who ALSO possesses the hunger, drive, zeal, of a true Berserker is a harrowing experience for all but the most vigiliant and capable of defenders...

Nedved, was that rare thing...A Technically gifted Warrior. There are very few players like him. Of the Now, or yesteryear. And to some degree, he was an enigma. his loss from our squad this season, has hit us much harder than most people seem to ponder or realize. For does it not seem more than mere co-incidence, that...one of the most intensely spirited players in the world game, leaves us, and our first period without him, shows the least spirited Juventus I have seen in 15 years of following the club?

SToNeR ChRiS
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope

Re: Pavel Nedved

Post by SToNeR ChRiS » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:26 am

(Y)

Like you said, there are not many players who have ever played the game and had such a presence at the midfield position. I hate comparing him to Zidane because they have quite different styles, but they both could control and distribute the ball unlike most players in the world. Nedved had speed and a driving force that made it seem like he knew no bounds. I'm proud to say my father's of Czech descent and therefore needless to say he was one of my favorites, especially on the international level.
I saw on TV today, this man lost his son, his son died...
So he had him cremated, took his ashes, and then made it into a Diamond ring...
Now he watches his son shine every day.
I just thought about that, while I sit here ashing in this ashtray...

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Re: Pavel Nedved

Post by weedguru_animal » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:02 am

It warms me to know there is a fellow comrade of proper football in this green jungle, Chris...

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Juventus 1 0 Cagliari

Post by weedguru_animal » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:41 am

It was the first game I have watched us play for many months, in which we looked at least equal to our opponents. Perhaps even better in some areas of the field. Which isn't to say that we looked decent...It was more a mixture of a lethargic cagilari showing and a welcome increase in solidity on our part.

It obviously adds hugely to the spine of the team having both Chiellini and Buffon back on the field, for they are both world class, and would improve any team they suddenly returned to. Both had fine games, especially Chiellini, who I am happy to see so fired up and fit.

Melo was looking decent and up for a fight, though did give away one or two weak passes, and succumbed to the same Hoof and Hope tendencies of his team-mates in the second half. Marchisio gave a decent showing. he seems to be improving technically, or becoming more confident on the ball.

Camo made a few wicked passes, and also had one quality effort on goal...but should have been rec carded for raising his elbow very obviously and intentionally into the face of an opponent. His attitude and inconsistency are aggravating to endure...but still...its obviously good for the team to have at least one player in midfield whose passing is, at times, very high quality.

Playing De Ceglie on the left flank is a stupid move. Because he finds it exceptionally hard to dribble past opponents, always ending up with his head down, protecting the ball. What he does have, which is useful at times like this, is determination, and fair pace. But his lack of offensive talents makes the side very unbalanced in midfield. Giovinco should have started, but perhaps, Zach, like me, see's it safer to play two poor left backs on the left flank, rather than one poor left back and a lightweight, but very skillful and pacy left winger.

Cannavaro did fine, Zebina worked hard and made no glaring errors. Iaquinta is very rusty, and Amauri seemed his usual useless self.

A draw may have been a more fair result...but...their only real chance came from a toepoke after a lucky rebound. Other than that, Buffon was not troubled...Whereas we COULD and perhaps SHOULD have scored more than just one.

Hardly a performance of promise and skill, but a definite improvement on last week's mauling at the hands of udinese.

Buffon 7, Zebina 6.5, Canna 6.5, Chiellini 7.5, Grosso 5, Melo 6.5, MArchisio 7, Camo 5.5, De Ceglie 5.5, Iaq 5, Amauri 5....Poulsen 6.5, Giovinco 6.5.

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Inter 2 0 Juventus

Post by weedguru_animal » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:59 am

I was actually heartened and moderately impressed by most of our first half performance. Inter made better chances, but we had a couple of chances also. We were NOT second to every ball. We fought as well as Inter fought. Marchisio and Melo in the middle were both in fine form. It was one of my favourite 40 minutes or so of Melo this season...perhaps the same of Marchisio, as both were true central midfielders, cleaning up at the back, moving the game left, right, forward.

Momo was wretched. His best moment of the game came after yet another truly shocking Give Away pass. His recovery was perfect, but when a player's best moments are recovering from his own awful errors, he obviously doesn't offer anything positive to the team. The more mistakes he makes, the more frustrated he becomes, the more likely he is to pick up cards and get sent off, and conribute largely to another loss for our team. I used to love him, but not now. His passing game has become far more hurtful to our cause than his tackling and athelticism aids our cause. He is ONE of the very few reasons, my opinion of Benitez isn't dully rock bottom, because the dirty spaniard had the intelligence to realize, obviously, that Momo cannot play as part of a team which wants to pass fluidly and rapidly.

Diego...it was cool to see him back, and yet again he showed that of all our players he is the one hardest to steal the ball from, as well as without Camo, his passing is the best on the field.

DP...up for it, but up against it also. Especially with an overly static, headless chicken Iaquinta as his strike partner.

Both centrebacks, I thought, were quality.

As others have suggested...it was our fullbacks that really cost us. Zebina and Grosso are of a level that even the lower ranking teams in Serie A, would have to be desperate to use as starters.

Overall...I take some pleasure from the definite increase in spirit, from the last few weeks to last night. There was an obvious difference, but then again, I expected it, as we were playing our most bitter of rivals. And there is more than historical jousting at the top to consider...there is also the recent revelations and ongoing caliopoli trials.

The only swipe at Zach is aiming for the point once Momo got sent off and replacing a poor Iaquinta with an even poorer Amauri.

wgToonces
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Re: Inter 2 0 Juventus

Post by wgToonces » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:26 pm

Dude....Bro....Man...LOL...WTF....OMG...

Football is gay :P

Please don't ban me :P
:scratchs:

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:34 am

I can't ban you for being unfortunately confined by your bloodlines, mate...Truly, its not YOUR fault...when it comes to failing to appreciate a sporting spectacle, to many an art, a passion, which connects most of the globe more fruitfully and constantly, than any other common thread...

(weedguru)scarf
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by (weedguru)scarf » Mon May 03, 2010 2:34 am

your thoughts on inter's 10 man defensive workings against barca for the final of the champions league my friend?
and Mourinho's comments post match?
woah

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Fri May 14, 2010 8:11 am

I dislike Mourinho, as a man. He is disrespectful, disgustingly arrogant in a typically portuguese manner, but...he knows footall. Of that, nobody can have ANY doubt. The barca Inter matches were interesting to me, for Barca are the greatest ball playing team in the world, and I am sure if there was a world league, including national teams, then they would be second...to...Inter! For Inter are the most powerful machine of football, in the world.

'Mourinho studies football, he always has done so. And he studied Barca very well indeed. Realizing that there was no point in trying to play them at their own game. so instead, he played to his team's strengths. It was classic catenaccio, and I am most pleased that Barca were exposed MORE as a bunch of pathetically childish moaners and divers, than 'a team who plays the beautiful game'. Inter were marvellous. Their tactics were spot on, their focus spot on, their resiliance spot on. I greatly enjoyed seeing them play Barca at THEIR OWN GAME, and come out victorious...all this talk of 'anti-football' annoys me. The way to beat the spanish is to shut up shop, and to beat them down to the floor. Let them whine and whinge and cry...I was very pleased to see them put down.

I AM a football purist. Having studied and followed passionately primar;ly the italian and english games, but also the european scene as a whole and the international game, for many, many years...I appreciate Chiellini taking out man and ball, as much as I appreciate Messi taking on 3 players and then beating the keeper from 30 yards/....

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Juventus Renovation Time...

Post by weedguru_animal » Mon May 17, 2010 7:07 am

Finally its ended...a season of nothing but misery and horror. Now is the time to begin rebuilding, starting with stripping away the dead wood, isolating our key foundations and adding fresh, eager blood to the ranks.

Heading through the squad, separating the Useful from the Wretched:

Buffon-
Injuries have prevented him finding enough momentum to gain maximum potency, but still, when has has played, he has proven invaluable. EVERYTHING must be done to try keep him. He deserves better than what he has been given by the board...Another 3-4 years at the top level, and unless we have a world class replacement lined up, we cannot lose the best keeper in the world...KEEP.

Manninger-
A competent reserve for Buffon, and will be fine for another season...KEEP.

Grygera-
More dependable defensively than our other right backs, but still, far from high quality. I doubt he is on huge wages. If an offer comes in, fine, sell him, but if not, useful to keep as a squad player...KEEP/SELL IF ANYONE WANTS.

Zebina-
He has had his chance this season, after so long out injured, to show us what he can do...and he has done nothing of note. SELL/RELEASE.

Sali-
Works so damn hard, and could be kept as a squad member, but i'd be happy to see him sold...more often injured than fit. SELL/RELEASE.

Chiellini-
Player of the season. More dangerous in attack than our strikers, more solid at the back than the rest of our defenders put together. KEEP.

Canna-
Shown decent form in patches, but far too slow for the top level. SELL/RELEASE.

Legro-
If only he was as passionate and focused on Defending as he is on Jesus Christ...A good man, but a poor defender. SELL/RELEASE.

Grosso-
Waste of a signing last season. Has shown very little reason to even consider keeping him. Old and lacking consistency. At least he can cross, and shoot, but he does so too rarely. SELL/RELEASE

De Ceglie-
he has been given more than enough playing time to stake a claim for a long term role in our squad, and he has fucked it. Clueless defensively, passing pathetic, all he offers is pace. We MUSt stop using defenders who aren't naturally talented in defence. SELL.

Caceres-
Shoddy tactically, terrible at positioning, seemingly less than certain in the air...but showed great heart when the rest of the team were spiritually atrophied. Nowhere near good enough to warrant 11m, but perhaps deserves more time with us on loan...I wouldn't be at all bothered if we let him go, nor excited if we kept him. Shame we didn't get to see him at centreback...LOAN/RELEASE

Marchisio-
In our worst season for 300 years, one of the few bright spots was the improvement of Marchisio. Deployed too often in a system which simply didnt work, he tried hard, tackled well and added in fleeting flashes to our offence. KEEP.

Melo-
Too decent for Fiorentina before, and for Brazil still now, to call him a poor player. It has appeared that he has been asked to perform more of a playmaker role for the team than he is naturally suited to doing. His game is industry, not flair, yet I have seen him countless times trying to express flair in an offensive manner. Still young, we spent BIG on him, and hopefully our new manager will get the best out of him, which can be very high quality. KEEP

Momo-
Injury issues may have derailed his need for momentum and form, but he has been hopeless and a liability too often this season to ignore. His distribution has been atrocious. Doesn't seem happy, and should be sold, as we have others who can play in the anchor man role far more competently. Its simply too late now to teach him how to pass in a straight line over even small distances...SELL.

Poulsen-
Definite improvement on previous season. Seems similar to deschamps...a water carrier. Does nothing special, but keeps things clean and tidy at the base of midfield. By all means, sell him if a decent price is offered, but he is an acceptable squad player. KEEP.

Camo-
he costs us a bomb, has been far from brimming with joy or fit, all season. Its time to lose him and his huge wage. He has been wonderful over the years, but not now. We can not continue to be a halfway house for dying footballers on their way to hell...SELL

Giovinco-
Criminally underused. We seem so much more alive when he is on the field. I just hope that our new manager sees him as a player to truly offer a chance...because he has what so few of our players possess; trickery, speed, flair. KEEP

Diego-
Deployed in a formation which demanded of him more than any player could provide. A demoralizing first season in Italy. Obvious quality on the ball. We invested heavily in him, for good reason...WE as well as him, deserve another chance, to see what he can really do...KEEP.

Candreva-
Lots of potential, but to reach how high a level, is yet to be determined. Direct, likes to shoot, decent pace and feet. He has been eager to impress...Not yet worth what we seem to have been quoted, as in 7m-ish for half of his rights, but perhaps we could loan him again, or swap him for some of our dead players...LOAN/KEEP(for players, not 7m for 50%)

Amauri-
Nothing short of woeful, from the start till the end of the season. Propped up our attack in the previous campaign, and played a poor man's Trez fairly well, grabbing a half decent haul of 6 yard tap-ins. However, his form this year, even when taking into account our squad form as a whole, has been disgusting. He can't hold up the ball, can't shoot, can't dribble. What kind of team perseveres with a striker who can't shoot??? A losing team...SELL/EXECUTE

DP-
those flashes of brilliance are becoming increasingly rare. Too important to the club to cull, but must surely be ushered into a substitute's role for next season, if we are to seriously make moves to improve and renovate. DP still has some class, but he is too weak and too slow to trouble all but the most mediocre of defenders. Reluctantly...KEEP.

Trez-
Injured too often, earns huge money, never got the chance to gain match sharpness...He has been a magnificent striker for us over the years, but now his time is UP. SELL.

Iaquinta-
Made his presence felt both before and after his lengthy injury. Works like a trojan, can shoot...we should keep him, unless a large offer comes in. Definitely useful. KEEP

No need to review reasons for our dismal season performance, as we are all aware how painful it has been, so why duplicate more misery eh...its time now to be excited once again, and to hope that Agnelli will make some sweeping changes in order to start redirecting us away from the graveyard of former european greats, and back towards the pinnacle, domestically and in european competition. Its time to put some Pride and Class back into our performances on the field.

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Forza Juve

Post by weedguru_animal » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:06 am

MArotta half term report...

Regardless of whether our signings appear presently as 'scudetto material', they have strengthened our squad. It would be better to accept that our squad last season was nowhere near scudetto material. Neither was our management, or president.

What I am looking for, as always, is PROGRESS. And the transfers so far, seem like progress to me. Camo had to be culled. He was costing us a huge amount of money, and hardly ever played. When he DID manage to play, he was nowhere near the force he once was. Our team lacked width last season, not only due to tactical choices of ferrara and Zacheroni, but due to the haggard state of Camo, the constant fear preventing Giovinco's chance to shine, and who else do we have, who can play on the wings???? Sali???? We NEEDED wide players. We have Pepe, who I am certain will prove much more useful than Camo of last season, and who knows, maybe he could become our new di livio...Martinez showed wonderful form in the latter part of last season, at a club which is definitely far behind us in terms of overall talent. What's to say he can't continue that form with us, when supported by better players???? What I like about him mainly is that he seems to enjoy rising to the occasion. It makes me think the greater the challenge, the more he relishes taking part, testing himself. Pepe's attitude also, seems spirited. Indeed he is more industrious than creative...but...we needed wide players. we needed an injection of spirit. Those two have helped us on those counts. We may well be still in the hunt for Krasic, and I assume that Del Neri is willing to give giovinco a chance to become one of the four wide players needed...two starters, and two challenging them from the bench.

Our right back situation has been shocking for a long time. With only grygera goblin ever showing me a sense of competence. Motta has shown great promise in the past, represented his country at several levels since his youth, and remains young enough to improve much more. He isn't going to cost us much, and even if he doesn't become amazing, he is a definite improvement on what we have had to put up with in that position for several seasons. Add to his arrival the purchase of Bonucci, who along with ranocchia, appeared very much like a real contender to become a fine player. Again, we needed reinforcements at centreback...and grabbed one of the brightest prospects in Italy. I assume, that we will still be looking for an experienced centreback, to add to the Bonnucci, chiellini, legro mix. Two starters, two challengers from the bench.

You can look at last season and blame our demise on the management, and on injuries...but its wiser and more accurate to add to the list of culprits : a squad in dire need of strengthening on the flanks, both in midfield and defence and in the middle of the back line.

Has marotta not already strengthened LW/RW/RB/CB????

All that is left to make me satisfied is a Left Back, additional experienced quality centre back...and perhaps finally, some readjustment or replacements in attack. I hope that Amauri can be sold. Trez can stay, if his body is going to hold out for another season. Iaquinta, whilst lacking intelligence on the field, has wonderful determination....still, we would ALL be happy if we grabbed Dzeko, though it seems more likely we will plump for Krasic.

Essentially, I see Marotta as doing a decent job. He has improved us already, and we must all bear in mind, that its very hard to transfer top players during the world cup...so who knows what our new transfer mogul has up his sleeve. He strikes me as a man who keeps his cards close to his chest.

Forza Marotta. Forza Juve.

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Re: Forza Juve

Post by weedguru_animal » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:23 pm

Youth Team:

first team coach :Giovanni Bucaro
26 July 2010
Bucaro: «I want to grow together with the team»

After a first week of work in Vinovo, and waiting to leave for Chiusa Pesio – where today it starts the summer retreat -, Primavera’s new trainer Giovanni Bucaro spoke in exclusive to Juventus Channel. «It’s not for everybody to get to such an important club, therefore it’s normal to be a little thrilled. But it’s a thrill that will soon be over, I feel ready to start this adventure».

After so much soccer as an athlete (at Foggia, in Serie A, the highest point) and some seasons as a trainer, now it’s time to try with the boys. Starting immediately from an important team such as Primavera bianconera: «Juventus for me is an arrival point as well as a starting point. I want so badly to do and to grow as a trainer. A desire that I want to transmit to all the boys who will work with me».

For this new adventure, Bucaro will be helped by goalkeeper’s trainer Claudio Maiani and by the athletic trainer Mario Rotondale. A first class staff to work hard since the beginning: «We need the maximum effort, but not only for these first training sessions, but for all the season. Targets? It’s normal that such a prestigious club wants to win, but our main target must be the one to grow up and make these boys improve».

Our new youth coach, Bucaro, doesn't sound too impressive, but perhaps there is more to him than the report states. His main attributes seem to be :Young and keen...when I would be expecting and hoping for 'highly experienced with success at other top clubs'.

Then there is this chap...who seems to have an important role, doing what exactly I am unsure.
Giovanni Rossi

He is 44 years old and was born in Marina di Carrara. Giovanni Rossi, the new Youth Sector manager, came from Sassuolo, where he was sports director. Now he is ready for a new exciting challenge, proud of having been called by Giuseppe Marotta.

Speaking to Hurrà Juventus, he told the story of how he was a player and then a manager and of his first days at Juventus, a club which invests a great deal on youngsters: «This is how it should be. Besides, during a world economic crisis, it is the route that all clubs should undertake. Juventus is already used to this, because the Juventus youth sector has a great tradition». The objective? «Forging players of Juve standard – continued Rossi. – Usually in a great team it is not easy for the youngsters from the youth team to find room, but Juventus in recent years showed the contrary, and not to speak of young players of Juventus playing in various other Italian clubs. The nursery is important, both for an eventual role in the senior squad as well as the possibility of having players to exchange».

Asked what impressed him the most in his first days at Juve, Rossi had no doubts: «The general context and the fact that the club is so well ahead when it comes to facilities from the Juventus Center in Vinovo to the stadium which is being built». Amongst the first persons he met at the headquarters was Gianluca Pessotto, with whom the work relationship will be very close: «I did not know him. I got to know him here. The thing that struck me most about him is his love for Juventus and the total availability he has for this club».

What did Rossi do at Sassuolo that persuaded a much bigger club to purchase his services?

And then Pessotto. The last I knew of his role at the club was directly connected with youth development. I mean him no disrespect. Always seemed a decent chap and gave his all for the cause when he played for us. But I question the wisdom of using a man who threw himself off a building due to a calciopoli fueled depression to inspire our youngsters. Someone very lacking in mental strength, and experience, at best. Which was strange to me, as he seemed at least constantly eager, as a player. For youth development,I would choose a man who can lead, demand respect, and has an ability to instill in young minds and hearts, passion and warrior like grit for the game. And obviously talented skills and tactical coaches alongside him. Pessotto, is nowhere near any of those characters.

I guess I am just a little surprised. to see in our youth setup, such a lack of coaches and organizers who have succeeded brilliantly, in similar roles, at other clubs in the past.

# Goalkeeping Coach: Alessandro Nista
( Preparatore dei portieri
Terminata la carriera agonistica, si è dedicato alla preparazione dei portieri, dapprima con il Torino e poi dal 2007 alla Reggina.[senza fonte] Nella stagione 2008-2009 ricopre lo stesso ruolo nel Grosseto. Nell'estate del 2009 passa alla Juventus come allenatore personale di Gianluigi Buffon e preparatore dei portieri della primavera.[1][2] A seguito dell'esonero di Ciro Ferrara, diventa allenatore dei portieri della prima squadra al posto di Michelangelo Rampulla.)

# Fitness Coach: Mario Rotondale
(can't find much on this guy)

Its the first time I have taken a detailed look at the staff filling these roles at the club. So I cannot say if its normal to have such relative novices, in such key positions. The only coach I remember other than Managers, was the ex marine Ventrone...and was with, i am sure, with the senior team.

First Team Squad

Deputy coach - Francesco Conti
Born in Chiavari on August 30th 1962, Francesco Conti lived his long career as a professional player in the minor leagues. A Midfielder of excellent technique and a good vision of the game, after various championships in C2 and C1, with Imperia, Francavilla, Sanremese and Fano he joined Ravenna, during the season ‘91/92. This is where he met Luigi Del Neri, and under his guidance obtained a historical double promotion, from C2 to B. The collaboration with the new Juventus coach goes continued also with Nocerina, during the ‘94/95 and ‘95/96 seasons. Conti ended his career as a player with Endella, but, he immediately began his career as trainer thanks to Del Neri, who summoned him to Verona, where he became the Chievo deputy coach. This was followed by the experiences with Porto, Roma, Chievo again, Atalanta and Sampdoria, before joining Juventus.

Basically tied to Del Neri. So the best I can say is that his measure of success must be judged similar to his boss. Is he a talented man, or simply Del Neri's mate???

The same can be said of
Fitness Coach-Roberto De Bellis who has worked closely before with Fitness Coach -Luca Alimonta

Goalkeepers’ Coach Claudio Filippi
Having graduated from the ISEF Statale of Rome in 1989, he has been a professional trainer since 1994 and a UEFA trainer since 1997. Claudio Filippi is one of most acclaimed and qualified goalkeeper trainers in Europe
he appears more the type. We have the best keeper in the world, he deserves the best trainer.

"Everything is proceeding well. We had a slight setback with Manninger but it was brilliantly overcome. The lads are adapting, want to work and this is the most important aspect". The goalkeeper coach Claudio Filippi, spoke of the situation on Juventus Channel.

After nearly a month of work he got to know his “pupils” and is more than satisfied with their response: "I had already coached Manninger for a year in Siena and so I knew him well while with regards to Storari I saw him play many times and therefore I already knew his characteristics well. Obviously, however, after these weeks both the positive and negative aspects came to light. Which are they? I will not tell you".

"Two players like them are a great example to youngsters like Bonassi and Costantino, who while training with the Senior Squad have the chance to improve because play at this level is much faster to that which they are used to".

In order to train the goalkeepers how to intervene on fast balls, Filippi often utilizes a shield with which to deviate a cross towards goal, stimulating the reflexes of the lads: "It is used to create handicap situations for the goalkeepers- he explained -. If they manage to solve those during training they will have an advantage during the matches".

"We try to vary exercises as much as possible to make the lads attentive. The possibilities are multiple even because we are trying to create situations which will be encountered during the match".

Finally a thought goes to Gigi Buffon, the great absentee: "A goalkeeper of extraordinary abilities. We await him with open arms".

Maurizio D'Angelo
Field assistant

What does a field assistant do? And if the man had any talent, why was he at Sudtirol before we grabbed him??

I know its normal for a manager to bring in his own coaching staff. I had just hoped that their CVs would be more colourful and encouraging, especially those in charge of the youth sector.

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Juventus 3 -3 Sampdoria

Post by weedguru_animal » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:29 am

Storari- 6.5. Made a few decent saves preventing at least two more goals. Commanding in the air, decent positional play. Solid.

Chiellini- 6. His usual aggression in the tackle, strode out of defence a couple of times, but didnt make his presence felt in attacking set pieces. Still needs time to marry Bonucci, but his job is made so much harder with De ceglie next to him, as he has to cover both centre back and left back positions.

Bonucci. 6. Fairly solid, especially in the air. It didn't help his cause that Motta was having a bad day at right back.

Motta 4. He didn't seem physically ready for this game. Off the pace. Passing was average, less useful offensively than in previous showings. Much to learn.

Marchisio 6.5. It is going to take time to decide upon and gel together our prime central midfield duo, but there were signs in this game that the Melo/Marchisio combination could work. Took his goal very well indeed, i was so happy for him as well as the team. Could do with more tackling, but at least his passing game is returning to his feet.

Melo 7. Made a few errors in the first half, but then grew into the toughest man in midfield. Showed good stamina, good pace, good tackling, and played the ball simple when called upon. In this form, he looks like a different player. Long may it continue.

Pepe. 7. The little man is finding his feet in our team. Swapped flanks twice in the game, and looked more effective on his less favoured left side. Scored a goal, created other chances. Consistently decent deliveries, good pace, his spirit and tenacity is welcome.

Krasic. 7.5. Its taken less than two games for the Serb to start showing the kind of form which we paid 15m for, and chased all Summer. Once he had found his rhythm, he was a greater attacking threat than I have seen in our squad for seveal seasons. he loves to run at players, has the skills, can cross, and his acceleration is intense. Could have scored at least one, but once he moved from pilot flame to anywhere near full blast, he was borderline unplayable. Very impressive. Likely to be a thorn in the side of many teams we play.

Quagiarella. 6. I am happy to see a little pace up front, especially when the slowest player in Serie A, DP, is starting. Moves around too much to play as a target man, but worked hard for the cause and did create problems for the Samp defence.

DP. 4. Other than his free kicks, two of which were mighty close, he was a ghost on the pitch. Completely inneffective, outmuscled in every physical confrontation, won nothing in the air. With Amauri injured and Iaquinta returning slowly from injury, why not give a youngster the chance to lead the line??? As shown by his free kicks, DP still has huge talent, but such is his ultra frail physique and complte lack of pace, he should be on the bench, at best.

SUbS:
grygera goblin 5. Added better positioning to the right back position, but as with the opposite flank, right fullback remains an area of weakness for our squad. Which is a shame, bearing in mind that the fullbacks in our system create the base for our wingers to forage forward.

Iaquinta n/a

Aquilani n/a

Conclusion.

We put more decent balls into the box in that game than we did in any game I watched last season. Admittedly we weren't playing an Attack From the Flanks formation last season...but still, we had only one player who could cross, Camo, and he was poor and injured all season. If Pepe and Krasic can improve upon and maintain this kind of form, Amauri is going to score plenty this season. I was hugely impressed with the wingers, especially Krasic...Also Melo did very well. I expected DP to be shocking, and was annoyed when Del Neri didnt sub him, for Martinez perhaps...It was a strange move to take off our most obvious threat, but I suppose he needs time to adjust. Still...when he is on fire, we should let him burn people until he runs out of fuel. And he looked far from running low when subbed.

I can see Del neri's logic in changing to a 4-3-3, giving both Aquilani and Iaquinta some time to start regaining match fitness. But I personally would not have changed formation or our wingers, who were both causing problems for Samp.

Our most serious problems, remain what they were last season. BOTH fullback positions. Its horrible to be finally seeing such improvement in our offensive play, then see all the good work done by krasic and pepe and melo, rendered pointless, by our constant failings at fullback. Motta can do better than that, but De Ceglie can't. That is his usual form. Why not give Traore a pop when De Ceglie is out of his depth??? As for the right back position, its more sturdy with Motta and Grygera, but still a massive weak point. BOTH fullback positions should have been greatly improved over the summer, especially the left side. This was clear to everyone who saw us last season. If Grosso is still with us, better he starts than De Ceglie.

It was an exciting match, which had me on the edge of my seat...my heart was racing. Encouraging signs all round. We can fight for 4th, at best 3rd, this season. But we must be patient. The wingers seem potentially wicked. Melo is proving his worth. Marchisio slowly regaining form. Quag, Krasic, Pepe, Bonucci, all seem like decent signings...I would add in Motta, but he seems presently inconsistent.

Early days, but I enjoyed that draw. Good passion. Signs of the new system working. What more can I expect...