Tennis

Chat about sports you watch or partake in here.

Moderator: Moderators

SToNeR ChRiS
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope

Tennis

Post by SToNeR ChRiS » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:45 am

I used to have a thread on tennis with a bunch of pictures of tennis matches I went to and updates about specific battles, especially ones in majors. Unfortunately the thread got deleted awhile back and there's never been another one created. It sucks because there was a lot of detailed descriptions about past matches. Anyway that was a little bit of a high rant but the Australian open is currently in the Semi Finals so I thought no better time than now to recreate a thread about one of my favorite sports out there. I know there are a lot of people who find tennis boring, I remember a few of you mentioning that at least, but when the majors come around there truly isn't a greater individual sport.

I haven't been able to catch as much of the Aussie Open as I would have liked because I am in between moves right now but the Semi Finals in both the women and men's bracket seems to be pretty good. Right as we speak I'm watching Sharapova (4 rank) play Kvitova (2) and it's 5-4 Sharapova in the 3rd set. Kvitova has my Czech heritage so I should be rooting for her but I am rooting for Sharapova for a... variety... of reasons. Earlier today Azarenka (3) beat one of the greatest champs of all time Clijsters (17) in three sets (6-4, 1-6, 6-3). Annd Sharapova just finished Kvitova off 6-4 in the third. That leaves us with an Azarenka vs Sharapova final.

In just over an hour one of the greatest rivalries of all time will be renewed on the men's side (Federer (3 rank)/Nadal (2)) in the first semi-final. This is what I'm truly looking forward to... The second semi is just as good with all of the top four seeds making it to the semis (Djokovic (1) vs Murray (4)). I'll keep updated once those matches are complete.

Anyway I'm not sure there are a lot of people on here who follow tennis but if anyone does feel free to chip in about anything related. If not, I'll just talk to myself. I swear.
I saw on TV today, this man lost his son, his son died...
So he had him cremated, took his ashes, and then made it into a Diamond ring...
Now he watches his son shine every day.
I just thought about that, while I sit here ashing in this ashtray...

SToNeR ChRiS
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope

Re: Tennis

Post by SToNeR ChRiS » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:30 pm

So in the end Victoria Azarenka defeated Maria Sharapova in the final with EASE 6-3, 6-0. As a result Azarenka became the world's number 1.

The men's final was much better, with it being probably one of the 3 or 4 best finals I've ever seen. Novak Djokovic (1) defeated Nadal in 5 long sets, making the longest final in Major history at 5 hours and 53 minutes. He won 5-7, 6-4, 6-2, 6-7, 7-5 to capture the title.

Now I only 3-4 months until the next major. :)

Brocke
Why Hello There !

Post by Brocke » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:26 pm

Tennis is my most favorite sport and my favorite tennis player is Roger Federer and Rafael nadal is also good and my favorite events are Australian open,Wimbledon,Cincinnati and World tour finals London. and my most favorite encounters are Fedal encounters and most favorite and memorable match is World tour finals final 2010.

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:07 am

SToNeR ChRiS wrote:So in the end Victoria Azarenka defeated Maria Sharapova in the final with EASE 6-3, 6-0. As a result Azarenka became the world's number 1.

The men's final was much better, with it being probably one of the 3 or 4 best finals I've ever seen. Novak Djokovic (1) defeated Nadal in 5 long sets, making the longest final in Major history at 5 hours and 53 minutes. He won 5-7, 6-4, 6-2, 6-7, 7-5 to capture the title.

Now I only 3-4 months until the next major. :)
A shame I missed most, if not all of it this year, Chris...for I have been a fan since playing as a kid. I like Federer, am no fan of Nadal, and also enjoy Tsonga. Murray doesn't appeal to me, and he is scottish. I refuse to sudden jump from English to British, solely in order to cling onto some success.

What did you make of this year's australian open???
News, football and ranting
http://thedissolutefox.com/

SToNeR ChRiS
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope

Post by SToNeR ChRiS » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:09 pm

This year's Aussie open was a great tournament.

The women's side saw many upsets which has been lacking in the recent past with players like Serena Williams steam rolling over the competition time and time again. In the end, Azarenka was able to defend her title against the valiant effort of China's Li Na, who always seems to find her wind in this "Asia-Pacific" major.

The men's side was a little more straight forward and once again the defending champ Djokovic managed to pull off the final in 4 sets against Andy Murray. There certainly seems to be a pattern emerging because since Wimbledon of last year the finals have been Federer-Murray, Murray-Federer, Murray-Djokovic, Djokovic-Murray... with the winner's being on the left side. This is not to say that I am unlike you, a huge Nadal fan, because I prefer Federer as well, but the tournament seriously lacked Nadal's competitive spirit. The top 4 (Djokovic, Federer, Murray & Nadal) are all still firmly ahead of the rest of the competition. Ferrer, who was the 4th seed due to Nadal's lack of participation got demolished in the Semi-Final.

All in all though, like I said, the tournament was great!