FIFA World Cup 2010 [South Africa]

Chat about sports you watch or partake in here.

Moderator: Moderators

SToNeR ChRiS
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 [South Africa]

Post by SToNeR ChRiS » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:23 pm

I for one think there was an enormous amount of passion demonstrated by both the players on the field, as well as the fan bases of each respective country. For me, in my short life, my most memorable World Cup was the 1998 World Cup, with every event since then taking a back seat to the championship held in France. If there can be anything said about the quality of the matches at this World Cup, perhaps it can be attributed to evolution of sport. Soccer/Football, just like any sport is constantly evolving. I can't quite place my finger on how the evolution of the sport may have made this tournament any less exciting than previous ones, but I do believe it has something to do with it. Even in a 4 year span, the game changes quite a bit. Furthermore, the tournament was in South Africa, where people expected many negative things to happen throughout the tournament. It is difficult to compare a tournament held in Africa to ones held in Europe, South America, or any other continent for that matter. For the first World Cup on African soil I'd have to consider it to have been a huge success. Out of 64 games at this year's World Cup, I watched 62, saw a sped up re-run of another match, and missed 1. After watching so many games, it's only natural for the games to get somewhat stagnant and repetitive, however I cannot share the same view in so far as to say that I did not enjoy this World Cup!

Way to go Spain... regardless of the quality of the tournament, they truly are the world's number one team. While Brazil (I don't see Argentina as being as strong because of their depth) have a good team, this tournament turned out to pretty much be a European tournament at the end, with three European nations capturing the first three places. With that being said, Spain is not a one hit wonder. They won the Euro Championship only two years ago which proved to be a very exciting and competitive event... possibly more so because I was In Czech Republic and Switzerland during the Euro... and even went to see a match in Bern. Anyway I digress... but the main point was that while it may be interesting to note that Spain won their first championship during the "least entertaining world cup", they are certainly no fluke.
I saw on TV today, this man lost his son, his son died...
So he had him cremated, took his ashes, and then made it into a Diamond ring...
Now he watches his son shine every day.
I just thought about that, while I sit here ashing in this ashtray...

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:26 am

It was no fluke, as you assert, Chris..As happens periodically, with varying lengths of the cycles, teams have a crop of players who are all superb, who gel together and complement each other perfectly. Spain have waited so many decades for THEIR time, and it is NOW. They deserve their title.

My problems with this world cup have been the horrifying and painful lack of ability, for most of the world's best players, to transplant their club form to the national stage. I have never seen a world cup before this one, in which the major powerhouses of the world game, were a fucking shambles...Which made life VERY easy for Spain. Only the germans, of the traditional high quality teams, showed any true vigour, but they lacked fierceness...in short, they lacked Ballack. A crying shame that he wasn't involved, for aligning his incredible talent and constant aggression with the youthful exuberance of the rest of that squad, and the krouts WOULD have gone all the way I am sure....Khedira is a very very poor replacement. The Argies...a team with an attacking unit superior to EVERYONE, if we judge their players on their domestic club form of the last year, simply played the tournament WITHOUT a manager. Their fault...but again, had they included Javier Zanetti and Cambiasso...they would have been a very serious contender. Maradona is not a manager. He had ZERO experience prior to managing the national team. the two players i mentioned, zanetti and cambiasso, are SAVAGE LEADERS on the field...which is exactly what the Argies lacked in this tournament. As to why they weren't picked??? After coming off a domestic club campaign that saw them wipe the floor with everyone both at home and in europe, is most likely, down to the intense ego of maradona. Shameful really...but there is more truth to such a suggestion than most people are aware of. England HAVE several of the world's greatest players. Yet Capello fucked up...He had no PLAN B. And without big Rio, with a damaged team, no beckham, the team was shocking. Many will say that its time to accept, for the english, that we are simply not amongst the world's best, but i disagree...for Gerrard, Lampard, Ashley Cole, Rooney, Terry, Hargreaves, Ferdinand...would likely walk into most of the best teams in the world, when fit. I could even add Beckham to that equation, because he remains one of the finest distributors of the ball in the world, despite his age. A large doese of misfortune coupled with a false sense of security rooted in qualification was to blame for England's shocking showing..France have some truly gifted players, but when you see the team itself, rebelling against their manager mid fucking tournament, you know, that they simply are not Right presently, in terms of Managerial relationship with players, to perform anywhere near their potential....Italy???? Lippi chose not to take ANY of the three most explosive players in Serie A, Totti, Cassano, Balotelli...he played players out of position...and Pirlo, without doubt one of the finest ball players in the game, was dead until deep into the last group game. Lippi MUST shoulder much of the blame for the abortive defence of their title.

Italy, England, France...all fucked. This does NOT happen often. And its not even due to a lack of what the spanish have in trumps; an amazing crop of beautifully gifted footballers...for other issues are clearly to blame. I could include Portugal in the european analysis, because, despite my contempt for the insanely vain Ronaldo, he most definitely IS amongst the most gifted footballers alive, of now or any era...yet he showed fuck all, of the form which saw him score 26 goals in 29 games for Madrid, and rip apart the premiership for several years before...

Lets move to the south americans...I have covered the argies...so lets talk of Brazil. Dunga was a wicked player. But as a manager...loosely like Maradona, what managerial experience and success did he bring to the national stage??? NOTHING...Brazil is a country who exports more quality players than any other country in the world. Their strengths have historically been flair, invention, fantasy...so what does Dunga do with the national team??? He makes them into all he knows; a strictly defensive, solid unit. To have seen the brazilian team in this world cup, an uneducated observer could comment so easily that Brazil is no longer the force it once was...but it IS...hohoohoho!!!...the problem has been DUNGA. He opted for Industry over Flair and Magic. A stupid decision, but an understandable decision, for DUnga was renowned for rigid defensive discipline, in his playing days. Play to YOUR STRENGTHS...is a simple, yet avoided rule, when it comes to Dunga.

So...the argies, italians, english, frogs, brazilians, argies...were fucked before they kicked a ball in anger.

Add to this, the horrendous atmosphere created by the tribal horns, and I hope you can understand WHY, i call this the flimsiest world cup I have seen. And Spain were lucky...they took advantage of an extremely opportune moment, to advance to what they have coveted for years. But the death of Italy, France, Brazil, Argentina, England....??? No chance.
News, football and ranting
http://thedissolutefox.com/

SToNeR ChRiS
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope

Post by SToNeR ChRiS » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:25 pm

I do agree that Spain were definitely lucky to win the overall championship... from the missed penalty kick in the Paraguay game, to Germany playing a somewhat similar style versus them as they did in their 1-0 loss to Serbia. Add to that the fact that Spain's success can be attributed to the internal collapses which transpired to various other teams in the tournament, whether it was through managerial problems or injury and you definitely have a valid point. I believe that had Germany played with the flare they demonstrated all tournament, even without Ballack, they would have likely tore Spain to shreds... easy to say that in retrospect though. In the end, Spain took advantage of all that was handed to them and beat a decently tough Netherlands squad in the final.

I'm glad you pointed out the Brazilian squad, because similar to the Argentinian team, as well as the Ballack comment you made, I truly believe that Brazil would have won the championship had Dunga taken Ronaldinho, Pato... and to a lesser extent in my books Adriano. Prior to the tournament I felt as though they had made a mistake in their selection and it seems to have been the case. Obviously other teams has their problems as well though!

All in all, I understand and agree with everything you have said, but from every tournament there are always memorable moments which can be taken out... and since this is a tournament which takes place every four years, I try to look at the positives... Otherwise I can consider myself to have wasted over 100 hours of my summer having watched a dreadful event. :lol: While I'm not sure this is a good enough excuse, as I keep reiterating, I feel as though this World Cup was always expected to be judged on a somewhat lower level considering it was the first World Cup on African soil. Perhaps it is better that I lowered my expectations PRIOR to the tournament, because the organization of the tournament actually exceeded my personal expectations... In comparison to other World Cups? I agree that the quality was certainly much poorer than past events.
I saw on TV today, this man lost his son, his son died...
So he had him cremated, took his ashes, and then made it into a Diamond ring...
Now he watches his son shine every day.
I just thought about that, while I sit here ashing in this ashtray...

cutthecashflow
Intellecutally Wasted
Intellecutally Wasted

Post by cutthecashflow » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:25 pm

Dan, just for the record, I liked the so called tribal horns.
Get busy living or get busy dying.

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:19 am

Stoner Chris, I am staggered to find another member on these boards who has such a clear understanding and knowledge of the game...and I hope we can continue to debate other footballing matters from here on in, once the hearts of the main leagues start pumping agaon over the coming months. No intention was present in my writing previously, to denigrate the obviously huge experience you had during the tournament, mate...And I am sure, that had i maintained such a dedicated approach to coverage, I would have taken much more from the competition.

CTCF, I am used to, and have a major preference for, the crowd's vocal chords making the atmospheric platform and cocoon for the spectacle on-field to unravel and blossom. As I am sure most players are also...It was just an added irritation, for me, in a tournament in which almost ALL the world's finest players, other than a handful of spaniards, failed to deliver on not their promise, but on the levels of quality they have shown the world week in week out for the last few years.

cutthecashflow
Intellecutally Wasted
Intellecutally Wasted

Post by cutthecashflow » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:00 pm

^I remember England's coach saying they were going to win the whole thing.....

I do understand your situation Dan, just little sleep as of now as might be expected....

I just wish I knew more about soccer and the different leagues. Usually I only watch the world cup and I feel as if I am missing out on so much more.
Get busy living or get busy dying.

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:23 am

cutthecashflow wrote:^I remember England's coach saying they were going to win the whole thing.....

I do understand your situation Dan, just little sleep as of now as might be expected....

I just wish I knew more about soccer and the different leagues. Usually I only watch the world cup and I feel as if I am missing out on so much more.
You ARE missing out, mate! And if you have the time or eagerness, you should try follow some of the english premiership, italian serie A, spanish liga and even the german bundesliga...over the coming season due to begin all over europe in august. Also, keep an eye on the champions league, which should contain, much of the true cream of the crop. For instance, the standard of the champions league football, is superior to that of the world cup, especialy as you get to the latter stages.

Unfortunately of the two teams i follow, the only one with any global exposure, Juve, are undergoing a complete renovation, so likely wont star in anything major for another year or so. I just want a solid showing in Seria A, meaning top four finish, and a decent stab at the europe league.