FIFA World Cup 2010 [South Africa]

Chat about sports you watch or partake in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Weedguru Higher
Tetrahydrocannabinologist
Tetrahydrocannabinologist

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010 [South Africa]

Post by Weedguru Higher » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:42 am

(weedguru)scarf
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by (weedguru)scarf » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:20 am

lego rocks
woah

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:07 am

I pretty much gave up on the world cup after seeing italy huff and puff but fail to blow the kiwi house down, soon after I saw England do likewise against Algeria. So I missed the demise of both my teams connected to me by blood. Thankfully so...I could have, and did, predict Italy's shocking showing prior to the world cup. But still...I was shocked....At how Lippi, consistently played players completely out of position, and altered formations. The group stage of the world cup is NOT the time to be doing this. And most of the blame for Italy's shock exit falls at his feet. As for England...Lampard's goal was so obviously valid that its no surprise that after that incident the english mental fragility went spiralling downwards into embarassment...My ONLY interest from this world cup has been Messi telling the media, that Rooney is the best of the best, the one player, with fire in his eyes, who would play the same, whether paid 1$ per week of 1million$ per week. Other than this...too many players have burned themselves out during the domestic seasons, resulting in, for my money, the least entertaining world cup I have ever seen. And I have been watching since 86'.
News, football and ranting
http://thedissolutefox.com/

(weedguru)scarf
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by (weedguru)scarf » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:52 pm

thats a pretty fair assessment,

i was thinking a similar thing about messi... he's here for the pride of a nation, not for personal glory.
I think Argentinians have and still do always play at their most passionate for their nations...
nabaldian in tennis... manu ginobli and the world number 1 ranked nation in basketball.
the ever improving pumas of the rugby world...
woah

(weedguru)scarf
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by (weedguru)scarf » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:56 pm

i meant to mention that the Japs and Paraguayans... have bored me to no end with their slow moving, almost stagnant game.
Defensive, but no passion without theatrics
woah

cutthecashflow
Intellecutally Wasted
Intellecutally Wasted

Post by cutthecashflow » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:41 pm

Well, I'm Dutch so there still is a little hope left for me.....
Get busy living or get busy dying.

(weedguru)scarf
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by (weedguru)scarf » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:37 am

go the orange!!
woah

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:19 am

You are quite Right about the argies, mate...their sense of national pride is exemplary, even if they go about their business with more often than not, rather vicious playfulness and trickery, they allign this with intense talent. The brazilians are different. For they generally play very similar for both club and national teams. And some of the reason for this is that football to them is as powerful as their religion. My hopes for England, which were fairly high before the world cup, were based on the fact that we have some of the world's best players...in Terry...Ferdinand...Lampard...Gerrard...Rooney. My main concern had been the goalkeeping situation, which was proved a correct apprehension in the first game. Still...the problems run deeper. Gerrard and Lampard could play for ANY team in the world, but not in the SAME team. For they naturally focus on very similar channels. Asking them to play side by side, or even in the same midfield creates problems, for inertia of instinct takes over any conditioning of the national team coach, for if they play in their positions for 50 games for the clubs, and do damn well, how and why can anybody expect them to change. This is a failure on the part of Capello. Though...he was unlucky. Green's mistake in the first game truly took the wind out of their sails. I mean...we score a beautiful goal, then give away an awful goal. The teams who have done well, are teams who have their best players fit AND a team which knows its role, knows how it works, and is very accustomed to playing together. England didnt have this, at all...mainly due to injuries, but also due to the fine form during qualification failing to force capello into solving our major problems...in terms of how to use lampard and gerrard. Who is best for the wings...who is a worthy backup partner to Terry/Ferdinand. Also between the sticks...lastly, Defoe should have been integrated into the team, the starting team, a long time ago, OR, we should have looked to a 4-5-1. 5 in midfield makes it perhaps possible to deploy both gerrard and lampard, and Rooney is perfectly capable of playing on his own. In fact he naturally can do this, because with the pace and skill of Joe Cole and Ashley Cole, the forward runs of Gerrard/Lampard, he ALWAYS has support...the future of english football is fine. though we wont be seeing gerrard, lampard, ferdinand, maybe terry, james, in the european championships in 2012, we have plenty of decent young players coming through. the only problem i see, is that the premiership is the number one football product, with the most money, and a despicable amount of foreigners, which makes it harder for english players to come through at the big clubs.

Italy's situation is different. Lippi REALLY fucked up. My beloved Juve had their worst season for 1500000 years. but still...such is their quality, chiellini and buffon had to go, and i would have taken grosso, for he is ONE player, who regardless of club form, ALWAYS plays well for his country. Taking marchisio and camorenesi, was strange. Marchisio...was one of the few juve players who showed promise during the season, yet lippi deployed him as a trequartista, then as a left winger...though his game is TOTALLY about box to box central midfield play. As for Camo...he had a shocking season, and should not have been taken. Storari, who juve grabbed recently to take Buffon's place whilst he is injured for 5 months...would have been a better backup than marchetti. Cassano's ommission was stupid. He is paying for his crimes of yesteryear, for the last two seasons, he has behaved himself, and been consistently quite brilliant in Serie A. With no Del Piero, Totti, Cassano or Balotelli, Lippi had no magic in the squad. and it showed.

I have no despair for the future of italian football. For while its time to say farewell to Gattuso, Pirlo, Cannavaro, Zambrotta...there are certainly some wicked players coming through...Balotelli...Cassani...Bonnucci...Pazzini...Ranocchia...Prandelli will put these pieces together, no doubt.

SToNeR ChRiS
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope

Post by SToNeR ChRiS » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:25 pm

Well it looks like the finals are Spain versus Netherlands, with the 3rd place matchup being Germany vs Uruguay. It's wayyyyy too hot for a prolonged post here, but I expect the final placings to be the following:

1) Spain
2) Netherlands
3) Germany
4) Uruguay

Good luck to all!
I saw on TV today, this man lost his son, his son died...
So he had him cremated, took his ashes, and then made it into a Diamond ring...
Now he watches his son shine every day.
I just thought about that, while I sit here ashing in this ashtray...

(weedguru)scarf
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by (weedguru)scarf » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:49 pm

fair call ^^^
woah

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:09 am

It has been my least enjoyable world cup since I began watching in 86...A distinct lack of passion, and quality, nod doubt the players were hindered by desperately consuming season finales with their respective clubs, and also, those damn african trumpets made every game painful on the ears, for their sounds were louder than the crowd. Awful custom by a truly fucked up country. My most despised moment of the world cup was seeing Merkel kiss the rapist and fraudster, Zuma, as Germany pummeled the argies...she should be not only ashamed of herself, but fucking shot.

weedguru_waffles

Post by weedguru_waffles » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:38 am

The Octopus Oracle was right.
yep spain won.

pkkupo
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope

Post by pkkupo » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:11 am

Pwnt. They deserved it. (Spain that is)
Like all dreamers, I mistook disenchantment for truth...

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:20 am

Well...iwould have preferred the dutch to win, as they play, for me, more attractive football. Its rather fitting, that in the least entertaining, the most befert of quality and passion, world cup, Spain finally get their trophy...

(weedguru)scarf
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by (weedguru)scarf » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:03 pm

it was quite an ugly match
woah