Best sativa and beginner advice please

The place to seek help for sick plants, and general growth related topics

Moderator: Moderators

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Best sativa and beginner advice please

Post by weedguru_animal » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:00 am

I have a few samples of feminized seeds...Nevilles Skunk. Critical Haze. Early Queen X Afghan Haze.

In the past my favourite strains have been Haze variants. Nothing has ever come close to the joy and endless chuckles produced in me via Green Haze I had for a while in Manchester in the late 90s...Since then, mainly in Brighton I found heavy skunk. My several trips to Amsterdam and elsewhere have offered a few new highs, but none come close to that brilliant, light headed, energetic for mischief Green Haze routine. I guess it is fair to say I prefer massively the Sativa strains. Which of the above strains has the highest sativa content???

Also...Is there any point me trying to grow a plant or three in pots with good soil and natural sunlight??? Must I spend big on lights and other items to create a worthy smoke??

The climate here is MELBOURNE...Spring presently.
News, football and ranting
http://thedissolutefox.com/

Weedguru_RyaNayR
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope

Re: Best sativa and beginner advice please

Post by Weedguru_RyaNayR » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:55 am

Can't say much about which strains are more Sativa... People just give them catchy names. But going on intuition, I'd say the 'Early Queen' or 'Nevilles Skunk' names *sound* more sativa-like to me personally...

As for growing, I think if you have a good idea of what you're doing, you can do it with minimal expenditure & using easily obtainable supplies.. But you've gotta know what you're doing ahead of time. Plan to have the plants sprout and grow in abundant sunshine, and plan for the light to reduce... You also have to make sure they are getting the most direct sunlight possible.

My point being, just plan out everything. Know how it works, and you will succeed.

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:30 am

Okay, mate...I will continue my research in these very forums and hope that you will pop back regularly over the coming weeks to offer advice and guidance as my tiny seeds blossom into a pungent forest.

Weedguru_RyaNayR
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope

Post by Weedguru_RyaNayR » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:06 am

Okay, Sure thing! I'll make it a point to stop by here frequently and offer my advice to help you along with your endeavor into the art of Skunk-Botany.

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:16 am

I have placed twelve seeds between 4 moist paper towels, between two plates and carefully positioned them in a drawer in the kitchen. Also purchased 6 small black pots and a 10 litre bag of Seed raising mix...
http://www.scottsaustralia.com.au/osmoc ... tting-mix/

Is that enough to get me started??? Is that potting mix okay to use??? Would the plates be better off in my room on my PC case??? (its surely warmer in the room, with me and oscar often in there and the desktop running most the time...but less dark, unless the plates seal the light out)

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:21 am

Seeds chosen-
6 Early Queen X Afghan Haze
6 Neville's skunk

Strain: Early Queen
Breeder: Mr. Nice
Type: indica/sativa
Flowering: ~49 days

Family of breed: Early Californian blends with a touch of Mexican, Early Pearl x Early Girl x Super Skunk
Breeder: Nevil and Shantibaba's
Preferred medium: bio and hydro, indoors outdoors/greenhouse
Expected yield: indoor 500-550 g/m2 g/h & outdoor 500 g/plant
Flowering period: Expect flowering time indoor of 42-56 days. In the North/hemisphere September and in the South/hemisphere March to April.
Recommendations: For the inexperienced growers to the most advanced. Especially for greenhouse growers worldwide or short outdoor seasons.
Special Notes: A winner of hearts for its economic quick returns and practicality. A full-flavored product to be enjoyed wholeheartedly.

Strain: Afghan Haze
Type: mostly sativa

Heritage: Afghan Haze
Family of breed: Afghan x Haze (origins of Thai/Columbia)
Breeder: Nevil and Shantibaba`s
Preferred medium: Bio and Hydro, Indoors and outdoors/greenhouse
Expected yield: Indoors 350/450 g/m2, G/h and outdoors 350/450 g/plant
Flowering period: 10 weeks from the onset of flowering,mid October if the climate is suitable in the northern hemisphere and April in the southern hemisphere.
Recommendations: For the grower who is keen to learn about Haze hybrids... so preferably not first time growers.
Special Notes: This strain won a lot of hearts over the passed few decades as it was a staple in the early 90`s when Nevil conceived it at The Seedbank.

Strain: Neville's Skunk
Type: mostly sativa
Flowering: ~70 days

Heritage: Neville Haze x Afghan Skunk
Family of breed: 12.5% NL5, 37.5% Haze, 25% Afghan and 25% Skunk
Breeder: Nevil and Shantibaba
Preferred medium: bio and hydro, outdoors/greenhouse
Expected yield: The yields expected will dramatically differ depending upon the phenotype you decide upon but it would be expected to range from 450grams to 650 grams per square meter. Outdoors or greenhouses will allow this seed to blossom to its full potential…with a s
Flowering period: This hybrid will have phenotypes in it that can be finished in 9 weeks, and most will go an extra week or two. In an outdoor grow in the northern hemisphere it will be ready mid to late October. In the southern hemisphere it will be expected in late March
Recommendations: An excellent plant for a darkened greenhouse setup where 1 plant can take up to 2 square meters at harvest.
Special Notes: The potential of this combination of genetics will prove to the world that there is a God... in the shape of a plant. Talk about a Burning Bush!

Weedguru_RyaNayR
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope

Post by Weedguru_RyaNayR » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:45 am

I would definitely say put them on the PC. As long as it's warm to the touch without being hot. With the plates and paper towels, it should be dark enough for them.

Be sure that the paper around the seeds is loose enough to allow air in while keeping them moist. And the air in the plates should feel warm and moist, but not so much that it condenses on the top plate...

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:57 am

will do, maestro...

Weedguru_RyaNayR
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope

Post by Weedguru_RyaNayR » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:10 am

Oh and that seedling mix soil seems okay to me. Do you know the N-P-K of it? I couldn't find it listed anywhere on the website.

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:37 am

No dice...I have tried and failed. Do we...and I will use WE now as you are in this my old friend...do WE go with what I have in hand if/when the little ones germinate or should I seek something different for the medium to home the seedlings?

Weedguru_RyaNayR
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope

Post by Weedguru_RyaNayR » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:42 am

Well, I think they'll be okay with the pots and soil we've got... Our light source could be a problem though. If what Google's telling me is correct, the daylight hours in Melbourne are only about 11-12, so we would need another source of light to fill in at least six more hours, to get them growing properly. A couple of desk lamps equipped with 75 or 100 Watt CFL bulbs would do the trick...

That's what I did with mine the last time I attempted a grow, and I got pretty decent results with that method. (Having them in sunlight, then putting them under cheap CFL's at dusk)

That would make it possible for an 18/6 hour light-cycle...

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:40 am

Plenty of action between the plates over the last 24 hours...planted 10 germinated seeds in small black pots which I filled first with the potting mixture, patted down loosely with my hand, added a trickle of water, left a while, then placed the seeds in holes an inch deep, with the tap root pointing down. Have placed all pots on a tray inside the house to keep them warm. All okay so far?

Weedguru_RyaNayR
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope

Post by Weedguru_RyaNayR » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:03 am

Perfect! They should be sprouting sometime within the next 48 hours. (Y)

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:27 am

Many, close to all of the ten pots I planted have sprouted above the surface with their spindly stems and two leaves...What now! I am keeping them inside, by the window during the day, and in whatever room has the most light during the evening. Is it important/ essential for me to purchase a flourescent bulb????Do they need watering yet?? Should I be adding some plant food/ nutrients????

Weedguru_RyaNayR
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope

Post by Weedguru_RyaNayR » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:02 pm

Check to see if the soil looks/feels dry, they probably need to be watered today. You'll have to judge for yourself how much water they need and how often they need to be watered, based on observations. The plants will give you signs to go by, when they're dry the leaves get droopy and soft, when they have enough water they will perk up and be somewhat firm.
It's best to give them a good soaking, and let it dry out quite a bit, then water again. You'll get the idea of the routine.

As for nutrients... For now they're fine in the seedling soil, it should have sufficient nutrients for them to feed on until probably around the time they outgrow the seedling pots (how big/small are these pots exactly?) Once they're starting to get growing a lot, possibly 2-3 weeks from now, they should be transplanted into larger pots with a high Nitrogen soil mix. You can probably get some generic high nitro soil at the local gardening store or some place like that.. That, or mix your own soil and nutrients, there are some soil mix guides/recipes online... But you shouldn't really need anything fancy until flowering time..

As for the lights... Maybe not essential right now, but I think they'll need something in a couple of weeks if we're to keep them from growing too tall and spindly. Ideally, we want them to grow out as much or more than up.. more light = less height = more leaves = bigger buds, basically.