New grow-need help

The place to seek help for sick plants, and general growth related topics

Moderator: Moderators

brentski
Why Hello There !

New grow-need help

Post by brentski » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:07 am

I understand why separating the male from the female plants is so important. I just can't tell what mine are. The 'feathers' between the branches and the stalk are not 'white' but are not green either,somewhere in between. 1 good thing is that there are no nodules or nutsac's (at least not yet.)
How long might I expect to wait until I'm able to visually determine the sex of a plant? (so I can separate males from female )
However,The last thing I want to do is to throw away a perfectly good plant ,so I'd want to make sure.

Thanks again
Brentski

Weedguru_RyaNayR
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope

Re: New grow-need help

Post by Weedguru_RyaNayR » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:17 am

Hey welcome to the forums! Sorry no one's replied to you yet, our active member-base is pretty lacking right now...

How far along are they (how many weeks)? Usually it takes about 2-3 weeks of having them in the flowering stage (12/12 hour light cycle, usually) to even begin to see the first signs of gender in the plants. Here's my advice: Don't look for the males, look for females, they are a lot easier to tell. You will clearly see what can only be described as white hairs coming out of the nodes. There will be no mistaking it. They'll be white, fuzzy, hair-like things. The Green pointy things you see coming out of the nodes are just part of the stem. where the node opened up, like the skin, ya know?

Anyways I hope this helps.

brentski
Why Hello There !

Post by brentski » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:39 pm

Thanks a lot for the reply. Both were planted about 4-5 weeks ago. I can't tell much between the 2 yet except that one is bigger all the way around for a plant that was planted on the same day as the other.I just stuck them in crap dirt,never expecting them to grow.Next thing about a week later,the little buds broke through. With everything I've read, you should be able to tell plants apart much sooner with a magnifying glass.
So I sent away for a jewlers loop that I should receive today. If you have any other suggestions,they'd be greatly appreciated.

I currently have them planted in big pots that get normal sun all day as they sit on a window extension in my kitchen. So they get the outdoor sun without being outside. Is there anything in particular(other than the white feathery buds on the female plant) I should be able to see by looking through the jewlers loop or anything in general?

Well I got the loop and all I can see (at least so far) is that there's nothing more than new leaves growing between the main stalk and each branch.
No buds, nutsac's or anything that approaches round shaped items.
At the same time,there aren't any white leaves either.
Just more leaves growing between the stalk and branches

Thanks so much,
Brent

Weedguru_RyaNayR
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope

Post by Weedguru_RyaNayR » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:44 am

Ok wait, you only planted them a month ago? They shouldn't be anywhere close to budding yet. You can't tell what sex they are until AFTER you put them into flowering by decreasing the hours of daylight they get. You have to have them in 18-24 hours of sunlight for the first month or two, or however long you want to let them grow leaves for before they start growing buds. the more leaves you got the bigger the buds will be. Then you put them into 12-14 hrs of light... If you're using the sun, then you are totally dependant upon your current season and will have to wait until the sun is in the sky for long enough, and then plant them around then, and when the days get short enough they'll bud. I'm not sure what will happen if you plant them when the days are shorter already... they might just take a long time to grow and maybe bud a tiny bit, until the light cycle is corrected. You can add hours of artificial light or artificially decrease it by putting the plant in a dark room.

Hope that makes sense.

brentski
Why Hello There !

Post by brentski » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:33 pm

Maybe 5-6 weeks but probably no more.As I was never expecting them to grow,I don't really recall what date I planted them.
At least I'm planting them near the longest days of the year.As I live in San Diego,CA. they get good sun all day long on my indoor window extension.
There,they are at the mercy of the outdoor weather.
In San Diego, at least,we have beautiful and sunny almost every day.

The days are slowly getting shorter now as the sumer solstice was about a month ago,months go by but it'll be a while for a dramatic difference in the length of days. I'll wait another month or so and one day,I'll hopefully get a sign of what sex they are(pray for female)

Are there any certain things I should know or do in regard to growing indoors, with regual,outdoor light, Should I make a darkroom out of a closet as I've been told there are certain periods where the plants have to be in total darkness,with no light whatsoever. Is this true?

Thank you,
Brent

Weedguru_RyaNayR
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope

Post by Weedguru_RyaNayR » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:38 am

Ok, right now in CA the sun rises around 6:30 AM and sets around 7:30 PM. That's pretty much exactly 12/12.

So, if you just want them to flower, not grow leaves, all you have to do is leave them in direct sunlight for as long as the sun is up. And then put them into a dark room for the night (just away from street lights and house lights and such).

What you were told about the dark period is partially true. They need to be in relative darkness compared to the daylight... They work the same way your eyes do.. So if there is a tiny bit of ambient light (just like there would be from the moon in nature), it's fine as long as it's much less than the day time. Know what I'm saying?

But yeah, I think it's a common problem in this latitude... People don't realize that these plants need a lot of sunlight in the early stages, and that the North American latitudes never provide more than 15 hours. They never even get to veg, and they end up being grown in flowering conditions from the start... :ohjeez: