Higher's 2007 Indoor Grow - K2 from Nirvana

Ever so proud of your little one? Show the world here!

Moderator: Moderators

Weedguru Higher
Tetrahydrocannabinologist

Post by Weedguru Higher » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:46 am

Ok guys, this was my last indoor grow from 2007. It was posted over on another more growing geared weed forum during my absence from weedguru. I would like to share my experiences with you all so I'm just gonna sorta copy parts of my grow journal over here, so if things don't quite make sense that's why.

12-24-2006, 05:30 PM

I used a regular two door cabinet and made some modifications. I took off the side panel and used it to make an extension on the box. The sides and back I replaced with regular plywood. I wanted the box wider, but to still look fairly normal. The extra compartment on the side is where the stanley blower is house and some of the ducting.

Originally (before I knew what I was doing) I was lining the walls with foil but then quickly switched to white paint upon learning it was much more effective.

The light is a 250 watt HPS.

The stanley blower is exhausting the air through some ducting and into a Mountain Air can filter. Intake is passive. Temps with lights on is between 80 and 85 degrees in the dead of summer.

The cabinet is hidden away behind closet doors and the ballast sits outside the grow box on the closet floor

Weedguru Higher

Re: Higher's 2007 Indoor Grow - K2 from Nirvana

Post by Weedguru Higher » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:47 am

12-24-2006, 05:41 PM

The strain I am growing is K2 from Nirvana.

A classic strain, K2 is a long-standing, reliable commercial Dutch strain known for its easy cultivation, as opposed to the other White strains that it is classified with. White Widow, for instance, is similar to K2 in its production of small forming plants equipped with tight, compact buds. Yet, K2 is much more simple to grow than its other white siblings.

K2 is an indica and sativa cross which carries with it a pleasant, spiced, fruit-like taste and a tangy aroma. K2 gives a very zoneable high that affects the smoker quick. K2 is a very strong plant.

When choosing to grow K2 plants indoors, it takes to using the Sea of Green method best as well as does growing K2 hydroponically.

K2 can also produce extremely high yields in limited spaced environments. K2 is a short, stocky plant, which produces white flowers within eight to nine months of harvesting. An easy grow for experienced growers.

I ordered the Nirvana Seeds from DrChronic..he even added in a freebie 10 pack of seeds

All 5 seeds were germinated in under 48 hrs using the cup of water method

The germinated seeds were placed in Pro-Mix soil which consists of the following :

Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss (75-85 % / vol.)
Perlite — horticultural grade
Vermiculite
Dolomitic & Calcitic Limestone (pH adjuster)

Rhino1973 wrote:K2 is one of my favorite strains from Nirvana. Well worth the cheap price. :) I actually still have a momma plant that is well past a year old now and it still produces as many clones as I could ever need. You will really like this strain. But be careful about mold. The buds are so dense that mold can become a major problem.

They are also very hungry plants. Don't be afraid to give them strong doses of nutes starting early on. They will love you for it.

Weedguru Higher

12-24-2006, 06:33 PM

2 days after planting, the 5 seeds have popped through the soil

Then what the seedling look like 24hrs later

It's beginning to look a lot like cannabis...

3 day old seedlings

Weedguru Higher

12-29-2006, 06:31 PM

Tomorrow morning these seedling will officially be exactly 1 week old !

So far things are running smoothly *knocks on wood* Rooting is going well as I can see a root tip through the drainage holes at the bottom of the pot.

Sadly I lost most of my notes from last year's grow so I have nothing to compare with . What I'm trying to recall is at what point did I start feeding them nutes? Seems to me it 2 weeks or 3 weeks of age? What do you all think is best?

Weedguru Higher

Post by Weedguru Higher » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:48 am

01-01-2007, 01:05 PM

Look at the progress these babies have made since the last pics 2 days ago! The first set of triple leaves is out

I'm noticing right away how much fatter these leaves are than the ones on my previous Northern Lights grow.

There's a little bit of funny curling of the leaves going on. I'm not too sure what that's all about, but I'm not too concerned about it cause other than that the plants look perfectly healthy. It's odd cause some curl up and some curl down, whereas others just have a slight twisting too them. I'm thinking it might not be a specific problem, just something strain related. Could that be?

Weedguru Higher

01-03-2007, 08:42 AM

This morning I awoke to find that one of my plants has some funky yellowing spotting/blotching happening on the leaves. It's the strongest most vigorous plant(and probably a male but anyways..) I'm not too sure what is it..is this nutrienct defiecency?

The plant is 10 days old and has not yet received any nutrients

Could somebody please help me diagnose the problem?
Freakshow68 wrote:You might want to mix up some 1/4 strength nutes and givew them some. I'm not familiar with Optimum Hydroponix - it doesn't look organic, but it looks like decent enough stuff. Therefore, if your plants are showing a deficiency, feed them. I downloaded the feeding schedule and checked out the website - can't find a a list of what nutes are in the Optimum Grow A&B. With chemical nutes it's easier to burn your plants -so go easy with it. If you find what's in it, post it so we can see, ok?
I've got 2 other people telling me it's a magnesium deficency..could that be?

Anyhow, I gave them a 1/4 does of nutes. Wasn't planning on feeding till like next Monday, but if they're hungry they gotta eat! These plants seem alot bigger than my NL plants were at the same age. Which I guess would explain why they are hungry

Freakshow68 wrote:If it is a Mg def, that's easily fixed. Just pick up some epsom salts, add 1/2 tsp to a gallon of water and use that next time you water them.
If your nutes are too hot, you'll see yellowing on the edges of the newer and/or growing leaves. If that happens, don't feed them for a bit and only give them straight water.

Weedguru Higher

01-03-2007, 11:59 PM

Yes, I think I'll pick up some epsom salts tomorrow. Does anyone happen to know what they are called in french? And what department would they be found in?

I can't seem to find any information anywhere as to what exactly is in these nutes. My last grow I was using the BC bud line of nutes. Come flowering though when I went to buy the flowering nutes, they didn't have any left. The guy said he wouldnt have any for a week. My plants were too hungry to wait that long. So the hydro store guy recommmened I use this optimum hydroponix. It's made in canada and looks very professional. Both hydro stores in town carry it, and they only carry good stuff..the cheapo stuff is at walmart and the nurseries. I had never heard of it before though, most all my local grow buddies use BC Bud

So I have two almost full 1 litre bottle of Optimum flowering nutes left over. I figured I'd just go buy the veg ones and then I'd have flowering to complete the cycle

What I just fed them now is leftover BC Bud veg nutes from last year. Gonna drop by the hydro store tomorrow since it's my day off

Weedguru Higher

Post by Weedguru Higher » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:49 am

01-05-2007, 05:36 PM

Well, the good news is that the damage seems to have stopped progressing. I gave them a nice foliar spray of epsom salt yesterday and today. You can see in the pics that one plant has spots and leaves that are still cupping upwards. How often do you suggest I mist them with the epsom salts? I won't be watering for atleast another 2 days maybe 3.

Today they are 13 days old from the time they sprouted

Weedguru Higher

01-08-2007, 06:56 PM

All the new growth on my plants show no more deficencies whatsoever. There's one plant though, that is a little bit too over ferted. It's much darker than the other(the true darkness doesn't show up in the pic) and the leaves are clawed as you can see in pic 1 and 2. it's not burnt tho, so I'm just gonna let it be

They are 15 days old and have 5-6 nodes. The farthest between nodes is around 1 cm .Their height varies between 3 and 5 inches

Now all I gotta do is wait for them to be taller so I can take some clones and get the sexing done. Hopefully this will be an easy to clone strain.

Weedguru Higher

01-17-2007, 12:07 PM

It always amazes me how fast MJ plants can grow! The rate at which the side growth overtook after removing the main stem for clones is incredible.

Here we are at 24 days now. I did some LST on one of the plants that was growing much taller than the others (The one I suspect is a male)

Weedguru Higher

Post by Weedguru Higher » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:50 am

01-22-2007, 07:37 PM

Folks, I need some advice. In these pics you see plants about 36 hours after a 3/4 strength dose of nutes. They are still awfully yellowish for my liking. To me, they need more food still right? I've never had such hungry plants..I just can't get that nice dark green. I'm wondering how to go about feeding them more? Do I have to wait till the next feeding to give them more or can I water in more now?

The plants are 4 weeks and 2 days old. They have been fed 3 times already, first feeding being at about 10 days old, and one every week after. Went from 1/4 dose to 1/2 and then now 3/4

Weedguru Higher

01-26-2007, 07:54 PM

I am such an idiot...my plants are rootbound, that's what the problem is.

I was preparing some stuff to transplant the clones into larger cups tomorrow morning, when it hit me. I checked and there is one huge tangled mass of roots. I didn't want to transplant until the sexing was over but I guess I'll have no choice. Can't leave them like this another 2 weeks.

I'll get some pics up tomorrow of the whole process

01-27-2007, 10:13 AM

Here's some shots from the transplantation process.

01-31-2007, 08:32 PM

The transplant and the added fish emulsion has done wonders for my plants. They are growing to beat the ban and healthier color is coming back

Edit : I've topped them a couple times already

Weedguru Higher

02-04-2007, 07:45 AM

Hey guys, thanks for all the positive feedback! The good vibes are paying off, the plants are looking better and better. I'm beginning to see alot of darker green on the plants.

Gah, something is wrong with my cam only 2 of the worst pics turned out . Oh well lol

I'm gonna try and remember to get some pics without the hps next time I water

Weedguru Higher

Post by Weedguru Higher » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:51 am

02-05-2007, 08:42 AM

Here's those pics without the HPS just as I promised!

These were taken minutes ater a watering so the plants are kinda dry and droopy looking.

I picked off a bunch of yellow dying leaves in an attempt to get more circualtion throughout the plants. There's a few too many plants in the box atm..

I was thinking of changing my plans. Originally I wanted to keep a mother, so that's why I took clones for sexing. Didn't want to reveg a mother. But upon further thinking, I think I'm not gonna keep a big mother, just keep a few clones and grow another mother. Which means I can flower these mothers immediately. I have time constraints..in fact I'm already behind really. If I flower now they will be ready for harvest around the end of April. Oh dear, oh dear, I should have started them sooner! Doesn't leave me much time to get the outdoor clones ready...Oh well, I'll figure something out

Weedguru Higher

Post by Weedguru Higher » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:51 am

02-06-2007, 05:29 PM

Here they are 24 hrs into flowering!!

I just had to show them off cause they are looking really good today, after perking up from yesterday's watering