Grow Room

Ever so proud of your little one? Show the world here!

Moderator: Moderators

homegrownaz
Casual toker
Casual toker

Grow Room

Post by homegrownaz » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:44 pm

Hello,
Figured I'd make a new post for the grow room. I'm a complete novice; I've watched too many videos and read too many posts and/or maybe I smoked too much grass ;)

Anyways I have two rooms. I built this ugly enclosure out of 2x4's. so I have an 8' high 3x4' room. all seedlings and young plants stay on the bottom. Using 24" a grow flourescent and the light from an Aerogarden. I use a 5 gal garbage can as an auto drip system with 18-18-21 nutrients everyday for 2 minutes. 18/6 hour light cycle.

The top section has a 250w autoswitch HPS/MH all in one ballest light. Once a plant reaches 4 nodes, I put them under this lamp. 20 gal auto drip system now using the same nutes. 12/12 hour light cycle. Fan for circulation and an exhaust fan I have piped outside.
-
This image was taken to remind me of my first major mistake. Dont get lazy and NOT install a drain on the top water basin. I'm not sure where 10gallons of water went but the plants survived the soil rinse.

I have another baby ready to shine upstairs.

This is from last month. the plant on the far right is curing now (see my other post). I killed three plants and four were males :( Damn males.. only one female left.
-
So I'm open for ideas and questions.. right now I'm broke though. Need employment. I know the foil has to go soon.. :rastasmoke:

Weedguru Higher
Tetrahydrocannabinologist

Re: Grow Room

Post by Weedguru Higher » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:28 pm

Wow, I'm impressed! Very nice setup you've got there! I might learn a thing or 2 from you cause I've never tried the auto drip system

As you mentionned yourself, the foil definately has to go!

Flat white paint on the walls is a very effective, easy and cheap option for you

Relective materials for the grow room guide : http://www.weedguru.com/forum/viewtopic ... 88&t=26817

The other thing that jumps out at me is the fact that you use fluros...you don't need to man. Stick them straight under the 250 watt HPS. You just don't want the light too close that's all. Only clones need fluros.
You could get waaay better results. It would prevent them from growing out so stretchy like. Look how close together the nodes on mine are and how strong the stem is

Here is a couple pics from a few years back. The grow box is equpped with a 250watt HPS like you

7 days old

10 days old

13 days old

15 days old

homegrownaz
Casual toker
Casual toker

Post by homegrownaz » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:44 pm

Nice pics. my problem is how do you grow babies while your in flowering mode? if I put everything under the hps would I run it 18/6 for a few months then switch to 12/12? I personally would want to grow some plants that are not flowering yet then add them into the mix. Seems like I always have a plant large enough to flower and a seedling coming up.

I also have a 250w Agrosun Metal Halide bulb that I can use in the same ballast to give them the blue spectrum they want, but that goes back to running it 18/6 again. no 12/12..

How high up is your light?

Have you ever seen the video titled "I grow cronic" The dude talks about setting up a nice hydro setup. I took a lot of his ideas into my design. the drip system is cool and very easy to setup.
Basically you have a pump (power head, or fountain style), some hose, an irrigation drip head ($8), and the drip ends. I use .5 gal/hour for the kids and 4g/hour for the adults. Purchased everything from Home Depot. (had a pump from my old aquarium). A digital timer is required as you need 1 or 2 mins of water. I timed my output and 2 mins gives me about 350ml of water with a 4g/hr drip nozzle.
(walmart has the same stuff for the drip system) I'll snap some pics of that setup too.

homegrownaz
Casual toker
Casual toker

Post by homegrownaz » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:59 pm

I made holes in the lid and taped a screen over the holes. I put babies on the lid and I dont want to dirty the water below. the clear hose takes water up top. there is a black drain hose behind that one.
Any pond pump or aquarium pump should be fine. I had to get a pond pump due to how high my plants are from the source.

This is an 8port adjustable irrigation head. they come in all sizes and in non-adjusting.
The clear basin is a plastic under the bed shoebox. I drilled a hole in its side to drain excess water back down to the tank. ( just in case..a tested theory)
Metal to plastic fitting.. Liquid nail is your friend.
-
5 gallon is setup the same way.

homegrownaz
Casual toker
Casual toker

Post by homegrownaz » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:06 pm

btw; my exhaust fan is a snowman. those holiday blow ups people put in their yards.. the fan base disconnects. a little loud but it moves a lot of air.

Weedguru Higher

Post by Weedguru Higher » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:52 pm

homegrownaz wrote:Nice pics. my problem is how do you grow babies while your in flowering mode? if I put everything under the hps would I run it 18/6 for a few months then switch to 12/12? I personally would want to grow some plants that are not flowering yet then add them into the mix. Seems like I always have a plant large enough to flower and a seedling coming up.
You would need to have a separate box or separate compartment for them...you can't flower and veg in the same area at the same time. I didn't realize you had plants growing at different stages...I was thinking it was a one time thing. When I did my clones for my outdoor grow, I had the mothers flowering in the big box, and the clones in a smaller box under fluros. No choice, unless you have a second hps.

homegrownaz wrote:How high up is your light?
I think it was 1.5 ft or so. To know how high to put your light , put the back of your hand under it. If it burns, it's too close. Move down till you find the spot where it doesn't burn.
homegrownaz wrote:Have you ever seen the video titled "I grow cronic"
No, but I'll check it out

The setup and system photos rock...keep 'em coming! Looks like a great system

The blower from the snowman is a great idea...certainly would push air efficently!