Purplera1n Grow Journel - Budget

Ever so proud of your little one? Show the world here!

Moderator: Moderators

Purplera1n
Casual toker
Casual toker

Purplera1n Grow Journel - Budget

Post by Purplera1n » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:44 am

FIRST TIME EVER GROW
DIY Homemade Setup I made:

3 x 42 watt CFL 2700k for each plant

* Autoflowering Strain: Short Rider (Feminized)
-Expected Height: Short but bushy
-24 Hours per day of light 4 weeks in grow, switch that to a 18/24 light cycle

(Don't worry there is alot of ventilation)

Cost of whole setup: 25 GBP
Cost of seeds: 10 GBP (For 3)
Total Cost of grow: 35 GBP

Information:

The plant pots are balanced on things, but stable. When they hopefully sprout and get taller, i will just lower the pots. But the lights will stay at the same height due to they are hooked onto a clothes rail in a wardrobe, 3-4 inches away. So as they get taller, just lower the pots. So don't worry.
Last edited by Purplera1n on Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

flagg
Bonghead
Bonghead

Re: Purplera1n Grow Journel - Budget

Post by flagg » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:20 pm

Welcome mate ..they seem big pots to start seeds off but i`m just a learner .. you will soon get proper advice from the lads on this site .. happy growing :rastasmoke:

SpRi7e
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by SpRi7e » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:42 pm

pretty decent setup for auto flowering strains.. I have a few comments/questions though.. You say 3x42 watt lights per plant, I only see 2 per plant, also I would HIGHLY recommend adding a 6500k or two per plant. Even though autoflowering strains start flowering early doesn't mean there is no veg. stage, and that needs 6500k lights or it won't grow strong.

You should be fine with size dimensions you have for an autoflowering strain, BUT like flagg said you started em' off in too big of pots, those should be your finishing size pots, not for seedlings, but it will work.

What type of soil are you using and do you have any nutrients? When I grew autoflowering plants, they grew slow and without nutrients stayed very small. I wouldn't spend too much money on them because you won't get much of a high yield out of these, but it's a greatt beginner strain.

ps. your box looks pretty well made, I would highly suggest using mylar, or a coat of white paint for reflecting the light on the plants
Peace Not Greed.

Weedguru Higher
Tetrahydrocannabinologist

Post by Weedguru Higher » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:30 am

Great to see you've gotten things rolling Purple!

Like Sprize mentionned, you should definately add in some mylar or white paint if you can, and ya those pots are a bit big....it's not necessarily a dramatic thing but you gotta be real careful not to overwater which will cause root rot.

SpRi7e
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by SpRi7e » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:33 am

If you use pots that size, you might as well keep the same one for the whole grow.. they won't need to be transplanted
Peace Not Greed.

Weedguru Higher

Post by Weedguru Higher » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:39 am

What size are the pots anyways?

Purplera1n
Casual toker
Casual toker

Post by Purplera1n » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:53 pm

Thankyou for the positive feedback so far! :)

The largest pots I could find, I was thinking it was a bad idea potting them in big pots but I'm seriously use less repotting any plant, always end up ripping the roots apart trying to get it out of the first pot.

and with the lighting question, there is a total of 42w per plant. I wish I could have had 3x42w for each plant :( lol

But yeah, it's very cold here right now. So heat is okay, very humid and breezey. They've nearly all sprouted, will stick up a photo when they all have sprouted :)

SpRi7e
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by SpRi7e » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:10 pm

when transplanting small plants, it's best to use a plastic cup that isn't necessary to break by accident, just push in on the sides a little to loosen the soil, put your hand on the top of the pot with your fingers covering most of it and turn it upside down and give it a smack or two. When the pot is rootbound, all the soil will plop right out on to your hand, you shouldn't have to yank at it whatsoever. Then when it's out, you break up the bottom roots by gently sliding your fingers across it to loosen the roots up, replant...then water it (I always use root stimulator solutions when transplanting to get rid of root shock)

My favorite way to do it is to transplant it when the smaller pot has very dry soil, it will come out very easily and has way less chance of ripping roots since it doesn't have as much weight holding it there. Anyways if you ever need to transplant, I hope that helps.

The one pot SHOULD get you through until the end with these plants, but after 1.5 months or so you should start checking the soil's pH (ESPECIALLY if you are using nutrients)
Peace Not Greed.

(weedguru)scarf
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by (weedguru)scarf » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:59 pm

hey man... welcome man...
im agreeing that it is a nice looking setup... esp for the cost.

i look forward to seeing the grow man... i was thinking of getting the lowryders as well at some stage to grow, the seem to be quick growers... i will be interested to see how quick :)
woah

Purplera1n
Casual toker
Casual toker

Post by Purplera1n » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:40 pm

Thankyou guys! :-D

The last of them to sprout is showing only alittle and i can't get it on my camera :S (Samsung SGH-J700i = shit lol)

But when it pops up and i can get it actually noticeable/visible, i shall post a pic up immediately! :)

btw, i just got these today... and they are the bomb.
:rastasmoke: :rasta: :maniac: :hessam: :rofl: :sleep:

SpRi7e
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by SpRi7e » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:47 pm

ha! I was just talking about transparent papers last night.. only used them a few times, they're pretty cool, more so a novelty thing though in my opinion
Peace Not Greed.

Purplera1n
Casual toker
Casual toker

Post by Purplera1n » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:55 pm

I'm buying a pack each for my mates and 2 joints worth of bud each, and it is white widow :D and I can't wait to smoke it.

(weedguru)scarf
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by (weedguru)scarf » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:00 am

yeah they are kinda cool.. :)
woah

Purplera1n
Casual toker
Casual toker

Post by Purplera1n » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:38 am

Right folks, Here are the photo's of all 3 of them. Just wish to say thankyou everyone for the advice and especially Higher for helping me with info on the setup needed.

Comments/reviews of 3 of the sprouted would be very appreciated.

Purplera1n
Casual toker
Casual toker

Post by Purplera1n » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:36 pm

I'm thinking of attatching a 20w 2700K for each plant extra. So it gets a sorrounded and ontop light source. I'm currently making a box of some sort, with a very shiny reflective surface that will incorporate the light fixture. Just drawing up plans now. Do you think thats okay?