Ugly dirt weeds

Ever so proud of your little one? Show the world here!

Moderator: Moderators

Weedguru Higher
Tetrahydrocannabinologist

Re: Ugly dirt weeds

Post by Weedguru Higher » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:32 am

Plants can grow tall for several reasons.

Reason 1 is that they are possibly male plants cause they generally grow much taller, with alot of stretching (distance between nodes)

Reason 2 can be because they are rootbound. Which means the roots are starving to have adequate room too grow (pots are too small) MJ plants need 1 gallon of soil per foot of plant height

Reason 3 They are stretching because they lack light

Can you get shots of preflowers on those?

Blunt Docta
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by Blunt Docta » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:35 am

those harvested ones are gorgeous

homegrownaz
Casual toker
Casual toker

Post by homegrownaz » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:21 am

here's some more photos. Today is actually day 6 of the box hang. My stoned mind doesn't keep track of days too well. The stems are starting to be dry enough to crack them rather then bend. Either tonight or tomorrow they will get stuffed in an airtight container. I'm happy that their no longer smelling like a stinky old plant.

Day 6 bug drying upside down.

homegrownaz
Casual toker
Casual toker

Pot size

Post by homegrownaz » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:48 am

I bet my issues are due to small pot size. I start out with a red dixie cup, then transplant 2-3 more times.
I use an auto watering system. If I use a large pot on a small plant I worry that the soil is too damp. So I keep things small to allow the plant to drink what is there. Also I think I over nuited two plants, they got big and then croaked within a week.

Am I wrong by saying if I put nuits in the water, then the soil needs to be nuit free? I think I just confirmed that question. the new soil mix I bought doesn't have nuits. its .07 .01 .03 then I add nuits via the water. I can't recall the nuit numbers, its something like 7-15-12.

The two plants I killed; the soil had like 10-10-10 and I added bloom booster nuit 15-30-15. has to be over nuit that killed them. because the baby plants grow like weeds under the other nuit mix (cant remember the numbers but I know the middle is 15.)

Many many moons ago when I grew some plants, I must have gotten lucky because I grew four large plants. I recall it took forever though, like 9 months. so I quit messing with it. But then I was using CFL bulbs for the babies and a 250hps for flowering.

Now my plants take 2-3 months. Seems like they sprout up quick 3-4 nodes in 30 days then off to the 12/12 cycle where things change every 2 weeks. I still use fluorescent for the babies but I'm using the light from an Aerogarden; which is very bright compared to a CFL. not sure the lumen difference.

Weedguru Higher

Re: Pot size

Post by Weedguru Higher » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:17 pm

What kinda lights are those plants under and what is the lighting cycle you're on?
If you are sure you have a male, get rid of it! The first pic above is a female, but I think you know that already.
homegrownaz wrote:I bet my issues are due to small pot size. I start out with a red dixie cup, then transplant 2-3 more times.
I use an auto watering system. If I use a large pot on a small plant I worry that the soil is too damp. So I keep things small to allow the plant to drink what is there. Also I think I over nuited two plants, they got big and then croaked within a week.
If the leaves burned, then yes it could have been over nuting
homegrownaz wrote:Am I wrong by saying if I put nuits in the water, then the soil needs to be nuit free? I think I just confirmed that question. the new soil mix I bought doesn't have nuits. its .07 .01 .03 then I add nuits via the water. I can't recall the nuit numbers, its something like 7-15-12.

The two plants I killed; the soil had like 10-10-10 and I added bloom booster nuit 15-30-15. has to be over nuit that killed them. because the baby plants grow like weeds under the other nuit mix (cant remember the numbers but I know the middle is 15.)
You want soil with no nutes. If there's nutes in it when the plants are seedlings, they will die. You don't ever want to feed a young seedling. You need to be able to control the intake of nutes, and with pre-nuted soil you can't.

During vegetation you want to use nutes that are highest in Nitrogen content. The numbers 7-15-12 (or whatever) is the N-P-K ratio. The first number stand for stands for N (nitrogen), then P (Phosphorus) and K (Potassium) So you would want the first number to be higher than the other 2. Say like 15-5-5 for example. The 7-15-12 is suitable for flowering, not vegging
homegrownaz wrote:Many many moons ago when I grew some plants, I must have gotten lucky because I grew four large plants. I recall it took forever though, like 9 months. so I quit messing with it. But then I was using CFL bulbs for the babies and a 250hps for flowering.

Now my plants take 2-3 months. Seems like they sprout up quick 3-4 nodes in 30 days then off to the 12/12 cycle where things change every 2 weeks. I still use fluorescent for the babies but I'm using the light from an Aerogarden; which is very bright compared to a CFL. not sure the lumen difference.
If it took 9 months you must have had a sativa strain. Sativas take alot longer to flower than indicas
You can use the 250watt right off the bat for your seedlings. I have never used cfl's or fluros for seedlings. Clones yes, not seedlings. You will have way better results if you do this

homegrownaz
Casual toker
Casual toker

Post by homegrownaz » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:26 pm

I'd say I've been doing some stuff wrong. When does a seedling need nuits like how big? 3-4 nodes?

I just checked the numbers on the nutrient box, its a little higher then I thought. 18-18-21 holy shit I have been nuking these plants. I was buying miracle grow with water control. And I am guilty of using tin foil.
but in my defense, I'm poor right now.. :)

I'll post some setup photos. I have two rooms. I built this ugly enclosure out of 2x4's. so I have an 8' high 3x4' room. all babies with CFL and Aerolite on the bottom 3' section. 5 gal auto drip system with 18-18-21 nuits everyday for 2 minutes. 18/6 hour light cycle

The top section has a 250w autoswitch HPS/MH all in one ballest light. Once a plant reaches 4 nodes, I put them under this lamp. 20 gal auto drip system now using the same nutes. 12/12 hour light cycle. Fan for circulation and an exhaust fan I have piped outside.
-
Tested a bud this morning. Taste not bad a little minty maybe? kind of a mellow head high, can't wait for the final cure process to be done.

Weedguru Higher

Post by Weedguru Higher » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:46 pm

homegrownaz wrote:When does a seedling need nuits like how big? 3-4 nodes?
About 2 weeks of age. And when you do add the nutes, you always want to start off with only 1/4 of the recommended dose, if the plant takes it fine, next time give it 1/2 of the dose, then 3/4 and so on...Too little is better than too much

Can't wait to see the setup photos!

Blunt Docta
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by Blunt Docta » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:05 pm

that harvestd one is amazing lookin man
i so wanna start a grow

homegrownaz
Casual toker
Casual toker

Post by homegrownaz » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:10 am

Day 7 for the box cure. 1/2 the stems snap and the other half bend. So I will give them a couple more days before placing in a jar.

homegrownaz
Casual toker
Casual toker

Post by homegrownaz » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:32 am

Been smoking some shitty reggie that makes me fall asleep.. anyways. the overall yield I'd put at 1/2 ounce. Not as much as I had hoped for but its decent free weed and I loved the whole experience. With the death of that last female plant I decided to redo everything and grow hydro. I figure I already have the equipment. Do you want to see photos of the grow? I'm poor as hell but I want to experiment ;)
Should that go under a new thread?

Here's some pictures of the yield. Its a short lasting head high which I thought when the hairs on the plant went 80% red your supposed to harvest it. Mine were 100% red within a day or two so I switched to pure water no nuits and maybe two weeks of that. Harvested it. (do I type stoned? - lol) I broke down and bought a handheld microscope from china on ebay. I really want to see the tricome color.

These are pictures from my male plant experiment:
I call this one - No water at all for a week or so.

This one I call No water and no light for awhile..

Running dry on everything.

Bubbles
The Green Bastard
The Green Bastard

Post by Bubbles » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:37 am

rofl man, i had a laugh, that weed looks excellent to me but those plants look ridiculous! xD

Weedguru Higher

Post by Weedguru Higher » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:58 pm

homegrownaz wrote:Do you want to see photos of the grow? I'm poor as hell but I want to experiment ;)
Should that go under a new thread?
Yes and yes

And those plants look absolutely pitiful...hehe

(weedguru)scarf
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by (weedguru)scarf » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:12 pm

good work man... i learnt a bit about from this thread :)

when does one start measuring the PH levels... after the nutes?
woah

Weedguru Higher

Post by Weedguru Higher » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:18 pm

(weedguru)scarf wrote:
when does one start measuring the PH levels... after the nutes?
Cannabis is only able to absorb the full spectrum of nutrients it needs if its roots receive them at the right pH. If the pH is wrong no matter how many nutrients you add the plant will simply not be able to get at them. The water, the growing medium and the nutrients will all effect the final pH so first test the water on its own. Then add the nutrient and test again. Finally test the run off from watering your plants to see if it is still at acceptable levels. The final pH to aim for will depend on your nutrients and whether you are growing in soil (6.0 - 7.0) or a soiless mediums (5.2 - 6.5).

(weedguru)scarf
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by (weedguru)scarf » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:21 pm

muchos gracias
but you test before you add?
woah