Buying a new desktop pc

Got a problem? - Get counseling from the gurus

Moderator: Moderators

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Buying a new desktop pc

Post by weedguru_animal » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:04 pm

After finally opening the purse strings for my travels, a knackered netbook and shiny new phone, next on the list is a new desktop PC.

There is likely not much wrong with the old rhino but the routine of backing everything up, formatting the HD then reinstalling fresh linux and windows OS doesn't seem to do too much good anymore, and with a little sack of gold nuggets under my bed, I want to bring work station up to speed.

The screen I have is big enough and lovely enough to keep, the infra red mouse and keyboard fine and dandy so all I need is the box itself. With my budget set at around $500 with room to go up or down I am looking for a chipset and motherboard which will greatly improve the processing speed. Since I have been out of the game for a while and have little idea presently how much processors have improved over the last few years I am hopeful of finding some guidance on here to augment my own investigations in other screens.

I want the system to...
move like lightning
play HD movies with ease
browse the internet
move files
administer weedguru
word processing
solid internet capabilities with good connectivity with my htc one sv phone
run quietly
manage several tasks at once

Since I already own an official copy of windows 7 64 bit I need not purchase an operating system (I assume?) and also I have become consistently impressed and happy with lubuntu and ubuntu. The aim will be a dual boot system.

I will grab my particulars for the current set-up when I return home to Melbourne soon, but in the mean time, can anyone make any useful suggestions in terms of where to buy and what to buy and whether its cost effective and simple for a beginner to put together my own system from buying the main components individually?

Cheers in advance to anyone who helps...
News, football and ranting
http://thedissolutefox.com/

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Re: Buying a new desktop pc

Post by weedguru_animal » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:14 am

Since 2010 I have been using the following set-up:
intel e8400 duo 2 core 3.0ghz
radeon 512mb graphics card
22 inch wide screen acer High Definition screen
320GB SATAII HD
wireless modem
ethernet card
wireless keyboard and mouse
windows 7 64bit Home edition

Presently in my sights is the following-
Processor- 3rd Generation Intel CORE i5 3470 3.20GHz / 3.60GHz Turbo Ivy Bridge CPU. 4 Cores / 4 Threads 
Motherboard- ASRock B75M-DGS All-in-One Motherboard with SATA3, USB3.
RAM- 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz Premium System Memory.
HD- 1TB 1000GB(Toshiba, Seagate or Western Digital) SATA III 7200rpm Hard Drive.
Optical Drive- Samsung, LG, Lite-On Dual Layer DVD Burner with Bunning Software
Graphics Card- Intel® HD Graphics 2500 inbuilt.
Audio- 5.1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC662 Audio Codec)
- Supports THX TruStudio™
LAN- Integrated 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Network LAN port.

No Monitor, mouse, operating system or keyboard...but I have fine upstanding examples of these already in hand.

Does the above seem a good deal at $550AU with delivery???

Would I need to add anything to it to connect wirelessly to the router in my house???

My main tasks are web serving, some dreamweaver work with a website I run, burning DVDs, watching movies, word processing, playing with photos.

Is ebay a good place for me to be looking or can I get more for my money elsewhere...like somewhere local in Melbourne???

Any advice will be greatly appreciated...

Cheers
TGP
News, football and ranting
http://thedissolutefox.com/