Digital scale...? Help~!

Got a problem? - Get counseling from the gurus

Moderator: Moderators

Missy Houck
Casual toker
Casual toker

Digital scale...? Help~!

Post by Missy Houck » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:58 pm

I recently bought a $20 digital scale from Xero (Xero X-1 Series Professional Digital pocket scale). The head shop had calibrated it in front of me before I got it. I got home, and tested it out. There are several different measurements you can weigh, and I chose 'grams'. I put a $20 sack on it, and unless I got the world's densest weed it is not reading properly. Before I even put anything on it it went from '0.00' to '-0.05'. Weight keeps fluctuating. When I put my rather small $20 sack on there, it showed it weighed 50 grams! WTF is up with that? Could I be reading it wrong?

Edit

This is what I bought. If anybody here has used one please let me know.

cutthecashflow
Intellecutally Wasted
Intellecutally Wasted

Re: Digital scale...? Help~!

Post by cutthecashflow » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:35 am

Did you tare the scale before using it? That is before setting it on the scale there should be a button to zero the scale out so the numbers read 0.000. If not I would take it back. I always use a Blade scale and have never had a problem, plus you get a cool tray that you can put your stuff in. It works fine for weed, but if your into any sort of powder or chemical I would recommend getting a scale that ways to the thousandth of a gram.

Get busy living or get busy dying.

Missy Houck
Casual toker
Casual toker

Post by Missy Houck » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:36 am

cutthecashflow wrote:Did you tare the scale before using it? That is before setting it on the scale there should be a button to zero the scale out so the numbers read 0.000. If not I would take it back. I always use a Blade scale and have never had a problem, plus you get a cool tray that you can put your stuff in. It works fine for weed, but if your into any sort of powder or chemical I would recommend getting a scale that ways to the thousandth of a gram.

They tested it out at the shop; do you mean if they didn't tare it before calibrating it, it's ruined? Kind of new at this; I hope I didn't waste my money.

Missy Houck
Casual toker
Casual toker

Post by Missy Houck » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:36 am

Ended up taking it back, got store credit and got an AWS AC-100 instead. Cost $20 bucks more, but it's accurate. Tested it out with a quarter (the coin, not a sack) and it matched up. It looks like a smaller version of what you posted. Also found out that the quarter sack I bought it actually .3 oz, so turned out sweet all around lol

cutthecashflow
Intellecutally Wasted
Intellecutally Wasted

Post by cutthecashflow » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:19 am

Well it wouldn't have been ruined, it just might not have been accurate.

Anyway I'm glad you got one that works for you.
Get busy living or get busy dying.

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:37 am

I've noticed that pre-tare fluctuation before with my old electronic scales. Since I have only bothered with it for larger amounts I have rarely been too bothered if the weight is half a gram out for good or ill. And when stoned and weighing, I have often concluded that the scales are so sensitive that they are fluctuating because they are registering the natural spin of the earth...