Jaw Pain

Got a problem? - Get counseling from the gurus

Moderator: Moderators

SToNeR ChRiS
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope

Jaw Pain

Post by SToNeR ChRiS » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:18 pm

What's good in the hood everybody? Last week (on 4/20) I had my wisdom teeth removed. All was relatively good and in about 6-7 days I felt a lot better. I didn't smoke for a week and focused my attention more on the pain killers and antibiotics I was given to ease me through the process. This Friday (2 days ago) I felt much better and decided to roll a small joint up and toke. Within about 5 minutes I noticed a pain surrounding a few teeth on the bottom left side of my jaw. I couldn't quite put my finger on it but then I remembered that on one of my checkups prior to the wisdom teeth extraction, the dentist had noticed that I had a cavity between the first two molars on my left side. I immediately thought that this was what was causing the pain but was pretty annoyed that the pain had to happen right after I felt like I had healed from the wisdom teeth extraction. That night, I went to bed and woke up feeling even better the next morning. All the pain had gone.

Yesterday I didn't really feel like smoking but by the end of the night I didn't have much to do and a friend wanted to play some FIFA so I figured why not roll another one up? I smoked while playing and by the end of the game I noticed that my whole bottom jaw was hurting. It basically felt as though every tooth on the bottom level had a toothache. In addition, after I brushed my teeth a little more blood than usual was coming out when I spat out (smoking thins the blood... but it doesn't really explain why I was bleeding in the first place).

Even before the week had passed, I had read many horror stories about dry sockets and how smoking soon after a tooth extraction can cause it. But for the most part that only happens when you smoke within the first few days of having your wisdom teeth extracted. In addition, I imagine that to be a lot more painful than what I'm going through.

In the end, I think I'm just going to lay low for awhile and not smoke. Though I'm sure I could get away with putting gauze over the area where my teeth were extracted and covering any tender spots that smoke might be getting through, it's just not worth the trouble to me.

I guess my main question is whether or not anyone around here has ever experienced or heard about anything similar to this? If so, do you have any suggestions?
I saw on TV today, this man lost his son, his son died...
So he had him cremated, took his ashes, and then made it into a Diamond ring...
Now he watches his son shine every day.
I just thought about that, while I sit here ashing in this ashtray...

Ikku
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Re: Jaw Pain

Post by Ikku » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:43 am

I haven't heard about anything similar but yea you're doing it right, just gonna have to lay off the smoking for a while. I'm sure in time it will stop happening. Never had any teeth pulled but I imagine that's a pretty deep injury and probably takes a bit longer than a week to fully heal.
I personally recommend checking oneself for OCD at least once every 5 minutes.

Weedguru_Fire_Inside
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Post by Weedguru_Fire_Inside » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:40 pm

I can't say i've seen anything similar, or heard of anything for that matter.

The only thing i can offer advice on is the bleeding. I had bleeding gums a few years back because i didn't used to brush them enough. My teeth would be brushed 2x daily at least but i never used to take the brush high up my gums. I was told by my dentist to brush my gums as much as i brush my teeth. After a few weeks, all the bleeding had stopped and i was fine,
Death is the only certainty. EVERYTHING else is variable.

SToNeR ChRiS
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope

Post by SToNeR ChRiS » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:19 pm

Yeah I didn't really expect anyone to have any experience with this because as far as I can tell, this is a pretty unheard of occurence. But thanks for the replies! I'm going to try smoking with gauze covering the areas that were operated on today and see if that works out.

The weird thing is that I feel completely fine when I don't smoke. I went yesterday without puffing and have very little to complain about pain wise today. I guess that it's pretty obvious that it's the smoke that's causing my pain. All I can hope for is that this doesn't last for too prolonged a period because the pain really is terrible.

Edit: About 21 mins later. I just smoked with gauze in my mouth and as far as I can tell only after a few minutes is that the pain isn't as bad as the other few times so that's definitely great news. The bad news is that the gauze I pulled out on the right side had quite a bit of blood on it when I took it out. Clearly the blood has very little to do with brushing but more to do with the fact that the clot hasn't fully healed. I'm not really sure what to make of the situation, but as long as there's no pain I'm fine with it. I'm sure it will heal fully in no time.

Edit: A few hours later. Still bleeding a little bit when I spit... I think I have a small infection to be honest. Going to continue taking my antibiotics and if this doesn't help, back to the dentist I go. The funny thing is that this is definitely somewhat unrelated to the jaw pain. I'm just a mess!

Ikku
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Post by Ikku » Tue May 01, 2012 3:32 pm

I would imagine the smoke is irritating the wounds and reopening them. I don't know why you'd jump to the conclusion of infection as long as you've been taking your antibiotics. Gauze + smoke sounds like it would make your gums super dry and it'd be easy for the wound to crack open again.

SToNeR ChRiS
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope

Post by SToNeR ChRiS » Tue May 01, 2012 10:53 pm

Well that's the thing... After about the 6th day, I felt much better and so I stopped taking my antibiotics. I had been given 21 pills for a 7 day period and still had about 6-7 left when I stopped taking them. So I guess it's possible that the smoke and or eating food caused a small infection because there was a little bit of pain around the area near the back of my mouth... the same area where blood was coming from. That's why I came to that conclusion.

I think your theory is perhaps even more likely though and it would definitely cover both the bleeding AND the jaw pain, which was the initial reason I started this thread. My thought process was that the smoke was entering the wounds and making direct contact with the bone and in turn causing my pain. So by the same token, it's very likely that the smoke also irritated the very same wounds and reopened them, thus causing bleeding.

I kind of feel like I've been going in circles here though so like I first said, I'm going stop smoking for a couple of more days until I finish my antibiotics. If I start bleeding again after I smoke the next time, then I'll just go to the dentist and get it diagnosed.

Ikku
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Post by Ikku » Wed May 02, 2012 2:22 am

Best of luck Chris. Have you tried vaping at all?

AbbyRoad
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by AbbyRoad » Wed May 02, 2012 10:29 pm

i got wicked dry sockets when my wisdom teeth were removed.

the worst part was i didnt smoke up for a week and i didnt create suction in my mouth. but i do grind my teeth at night :(

SToNeR ChRiS
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope

Post by SToNeR ChRiS » Thu May 03, 2012 6:46 am

That really sucks Abby. Were you on the morning after pill by any chance if you don't mind me asking? I hear that really increases the chances that a woman will develop dry socket. How long did it last and was it really as terrible as I've heard?

As for vaporizing Ikku, I wish I had a vape. Once I get a steady income going here, it's definitely going to be high up on my chain of things I want to purchase. Certainly would have used it in this situation.

And finally... as for me.... I'm feeling great right now. Smoked with gauze tonight and am feeling higher than I've been in quite some time without any bother. I learned a lot from this but to anyone who ever goes through something like this as well, my main advice would be to finish your antibiotics even if you're feeling great. It seems so obvious now, but they really do give you a specific amount in order to allow you to fully heal. After a few days of not taking any, I ended up finishing all but one of them and definitely think that that was the solution. That, and smoking with gauze over the wounds.

Happy times.