What is reality?

A place to discuss deeper topics

Moderator: Moderators

AbbyRoad
Ganja God
Ganja God

Re: What is reality?

Post by AbbyRoad » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:56 pm

its really hard to explain dude, if you want to get a really good explanation id google/youtube "the 10 dimensions"

but i will attempt a rough summary, anyone feel free to correct me btw

reality/universe is made up of layers which we call dimensions.
the first layers are the simplest. and can best be described as length and width.
the third layer is the one we "live in". made out of length width, and depth.
now this is where things get weird. since we are beings of the third dimensions it is nearly impossible for us to comprehend all the higher dimensions.
personally i always considered the 4th dimension to be duration, not time, but the principle our "understanding" of time comes from...but most people disagree with me. and frankly i cant remember what else the 4th dimension is.
the 5th dimension might be probability....all the possible "futures" we have based in our actions in the 3rd dimension.
i dont remember enough about the 6th-9th to talk about them.
the 10th dimensions is supposed to be all possible universes and dimensions and everything they hold.

some people theorize there is an 11th dimensions. and when you get to the 11th dimension you have to start research string theory.

zERo~Chronic
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by zERo~Chronic » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:04 am

right....i'm sticking with width heighth depth and time personally. its an interesting theory that there could be more than 4 but i don't really see any evidence pointing that way

Ikku
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Post by Ikku » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:52 am

zero, that's because you are only looking at the evidence from your day to day life and not at the evidence coming out of high tech research labs using particle accelerators and looking at the world from the subatomic point of view. Also let me add a little insight on why gravity is known as a "weak force."

There's 4 forces in the universe, two are nuclear and involve the forces holding atoms together, one is the electromagnetic force, and the other is gravity. Compared to the other 3 forces, gravity is incredibly weak, I forget the figure but its several orders of magnitude, like billions of times weaker. A bowling ball plummets from the Empire State building and reaches hundreds of miles per hour, but when it hits the ground, smack, it stops, because the electromagnetic forces holding the ground molecules together are way stronger than the gravitational forces pulling the ball down. We aren't used to thinking that way because of something unique about gravity, it only has one sign. There's no such thing as negative mass, so on large scales like we're used to (day to day life and larger planetary scales as well), gravity adds up big time. All the electric forces end up canceling out because there's positives and negatives and they all add up to 0, except on charged things like a live electrical wire.

I'm not sure how this relates to string theory and higher dimensions, I'm not well read on all that stuff. I do think there's something going on with all those higher dimensions and interdimensional beings though. I think our universe is holographic in a sense that everything is interconnected. If you have a piece of the universe, you have the entire universe. To have 100% of the information about a room, you would have to have 100% of the information on everything outside of the room since things can come and go over time and you can't predict the happenings of the room without knowing everything outside of the room too.

I hope that last paragraph makes sense, I'm having trouble wordifying these thought things floating around the old noggin.
I personally recommend checking oneself for OCD at least once every 5 minutes.

AbbyRoad
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by AbbyRoad » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:37 pm

Ikku wrote:
I'm not sure how this relates to string theory and higher dimensions, I'm not well read on all that stuff. I do think there's something going on with all those higher dimensions and interdimensional beings though. I think our universe is holographic in a sense that everything is interconnected. If you have a piece of the universe, you have the entire universe. To have 100% of the information about a room, you would have to have 100% of the information on everything outside of the room since things can come and go over time and you can't predict the happenings of the room without knowing everything outside of the room too.

I hope that last paragraph makes sense, I'm having trouble wordifying these thought things floating around the old noggin.
this last paragraph actually started my ole neurons firing.

once while tripping on LSA i had the clear impression that our world was indeed "holographic". and i knew why! it was the very layering of the other dimensions themselves that created our psychical world. it was almost like... the rings of a tree. layers alone werent really anything, only the building blocks. but together it makes up a giant organism. in the years since that experience some of the thoughts have lost clarity.

i totally know what you meant about if you have a piece of the universe you have everything.
cause really its all the same stuff. just subatomic particles manifesting themselves to our perceptions as different particles.
and if you believe in the big bang theory, all those subatomic particles were once "one".
you should research the theory of quantum entanglement.

also im having random musings of chaos theory...
but they arent fully formed enough to share just yet, still have to do some subconscious thought on it

Weedguru_Fire_Inside
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Post by Weedguru_Fire_Inside » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:55 am

Granted, all this shit is really, really interesting and every time i read stuff like this, i get super-intrigued. But, if i did start getting into all this, shit, i could waste my whole life looking for something that doesn't even exist/make sense.

In that respect, as far as i'm concerned, reality is the right here - right now life i'm living. I'm not one for caring how people think reality works, or what reality is, when, as has been previously said, reality is only what we percieve it to be. It matters not what you think it is, or what i think it is, or what anyone else thinks it is. It doesn't make a difference to what reality actually is.
Death is the only certainty. EVERYTHING else is variable.

AbbyRoad
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by AbbyRoad » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:25 pm

Weedguru_Fire_Inside wrote:Granted, all this shit is really, really interesting and every time i read stuff like this, i get super-intrigued. But, if i did start getting into all this, shit, i could waste my whole life looking for something that doesn't even exist/make sense.

its way better to be intrigued and read about the universe and how reality is built, than waste your whole life caring about dumb crap like celebrities and sports teams.

Ikku
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Post by Ikku » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:32 pm

Weedguru_Fire_Inside wrote:Granted, all this shit is really, really interesting and every time i read stuff like this, i get super-intrigued. But, if i did start getting into all this, shit, i could waste my whole life looking for something that doesn't even exist/make sense.

In that respect, as far as i'm concerned, reality is the right here - right now life i'm living. I'm not one for caring how people think reality works, or what reality is, when, as has been previously said, reality is only what we percieve it to be. It matters not what you think it is, or what i think it is, or what anyone else thinks it is. It doesn't make a difference to what reality actually is.
I would disagree. I think this is a lie perpetuated by the current scientism hegemony in academia. The life you're living is reality? I think the lives we're living are fiction made up by our brains so we have a coherent picture of reality and can survive, but I do not think that this coherent picture is necessarily accurate. Both neurobiology and subatomic physics lead me to believe otherwise. All of the stuff you think of as "real" is really just symbolic logic bouncing around in your brain.

And absolutely Abby, I think questioning the nature of reality will bring you closer to the truth than simply accepting what's in front of you which includes so much trivial nonsense.
I personally recommend checking oneself for OCD at least once every 5 minutes.

AbbyRoad
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by AbbyRoad » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:22 am

look at you ikku and your fancy university talk and by that i mean i had to google hegemony and scientism.
:rofl:

Weedguru_Fire_Inside
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Post by Weedguru_Fire_Inside » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:33 am

AbbyRoad wrote:

its way better to be intrigued and read about the universe and how reality is built, than waste your whole life caring about dumb crap like celebrities and sports teams.
Yes, because i am terribly obsessed with celebrities and sports teams, lol. I know that half the world are, but please, don't assume the same of me. If that's not what you meant, then fair enough and, i agree.

Like i said, i get terribly intrigued whenever a conversation of this nature arises, but the small picture is hard enough to take care of at the minute, without throwing myself into the biggest black hole of Q&A that ever arose (as like i say, i get terribly intrigued by it.)

And Ikku, that is exactly the type of conversation i cannot be getting in to. I've got too much on my plate to throw some shit like that on it too. I know it's just a conversation on the boards, but that kinda sit stays in my head for a long, long time and has me concentrating on things i, not necessarily shouldn't be doing right now, but things that aren't necessarily in my best interest at present. Maybe when i'm 30 and comfortable (i hope), i'll take it up, but not now. I can't dismiss it though.

Anyway, you've heard my views and i'd rather you carry on with the conversation you were having before i put in my thoughts, as i find, Ikku, your knowledge on this matter to be informative and logical. The way you described the "weak force" of gravity was excellent and helped me understand it perfectly.

See, it's fucking sucking me in already.

AbbyRoad
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by AbbyRoad » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:21 pm

Weedguru_Fire_Inside wrote:
AbbyRoad wrote:

Yes, because i am terribly obsessed with celebrities and sports teams, lol. I know that half the world are, but please, don't assume the same of me. If that's not what you meant, then fair enough and, i agree.
ya i meant most of the world is interested in that kind of shite. i dont know you well enough to assume your part of that flock.
it was worth saying at the time, and its still worth saying.

a lot of people never stop to even consider how complex reality really is. they see the basic 3rd dimension through there weak sense organs, accept this information as stone cold truth and never think to look beyond.

in all seriousness though a Fire Inside,
i dont understand how being interested in this kind of stuff could be detrimental to your life

logically
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope

Post by logically » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:55 pm

Well abby it seemed to me he was saying that he gets so into these thoughts about "reality" and existence that he slacks off from other stuff.

So i don't think he's trying to say it's detrimental to be interested in it.

But for him, it wastes too much of his time at this point in his life.

(sorry if i am wayyyu off here fire_inside, but that's what i got out of it :P )

Exactly
ImageA warrior may choose pacifism, all others are condemned to it.Image

WeedGuru_Flow
Red Eye Jedi

Post by WeedGuru_Flow » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:20 am

Shit I have friends that know absolutely nothing of what's going on outside our atmosphere, which seems kind of ignorant. It's not like life on this planet is that interesting, Space has so much more wonder and awe to offer.
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we would all be running around darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music.

Telejim
Why Hello There !

Post by Telejim » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:33 am

I've skimmed through the posts, i get the gist. This is my second post.

I watched that Horizons documentary a while back and my mind was blown. The part of particular interest is when they were talking about black holes. They explain that information is just as invincible as energy in this universe, meaning neither information and energy can instantly disappear into nothingness. It goes against all laws of physics.

Yet,

Seeing as information can never be destroyed, when it crosses the event horizon of a black hole... where does the information go? A space ship entering that black hole, there is information that it exists in the universe. Information in the minds of humans on board. Information in the computer logs of this particular space vessel, all of which cannot cease to exist. But, black holes are not everlasting. They are finite. Over time they will dissipate and close. When these black holes close, what happens to the information? They are beginning to say that the information may be stored on the event horizon itself, like a bubbles membrane. A membrane that holds all the information in 3 dimensions.

This means that our universe could indeed be a hologram, a projection from the outer membrane of this universe. This sounds completely insane, but they are testing for it. They have a machine to test this! Watch the documentary, it's hard to explain! Seeing as i'm baked, i'll let it do the talking.

It could be the next big thing in physics. Imagine knowing you were a hologram. What would that mean for reality, fate, destiny and the rest? It would bring up serious questions, just like Quantum Physics is doing today.

Weedguru_Fire_Inside
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Post by Weedguru_Fire_Inside » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:58 pm

WeedGuru_Flow wrote:Shit I have friends that know absolutely nothing of what's going on outside our atmosphere, which seems kind of ignorant. It's not like life on this planet is that interesting, Space has so much more wonder and awe to offer.
this post serves as a message to how different people really can be, as i could not disagree more.

AbbyRoad
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by AbbyRoad » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:03 pm

Weedguru_Fire_Inside wrote:
WeedGuru_Flow wrote:Shit I have friends that know absolutely nothing of what's going on outside our atmosphere, which seems kind of ignorant. It's not like life on this planet is that interesting, Space has so much more wonder and awe to offer.
this post serves as a message to how different people really can be, as i could not disagree more.
im going to have to agree with you Fire Inside...

think about it Flow, the ocean floor holds a world that may as well be outer space because of how different it is from life anywhere else on our planet and how little we have explored it.