Science saved my soul

A place to discuss deeper topics

Moderator: Moderators

WeedGuru_Flow
Red Eye Jedi

Science saved my soul

Post by WeedGuru_Flow » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:36 am

Take some time to actually look and listen to this, then share it with your friends.

Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we would all be running around darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music.

Weedguru_Fire_Inside
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Re: Science saved my soul

Post by Weedguru_Fire_Inside » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:57 pm

great fucking find Nick, i found that inspiring and thought provoking. i'm gonna watch it again later on and find similar videos.

thanks man.
Death is the only certainty. EVERYTHING else is variable.

wgToonces
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Post by wgToonces » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:05 pm

Very very good video...I enjoyed the swear words and the down to Earth tone of it all. Fucking enjoyable :)

It was actually beautiful. Nice music to it too.
:scratchs:

Bubbles
The Green Bastard
The Green Bastard

Post by Bubbles » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:38 am

man... while i was watching this i totally thought about something. We dont know for sure if were the only intelligent shit out there or not, so no matter what until we find life we can consider ourselves both alone, and not alone.

WeedGuru_Flow
Red Eye Jedi

Post by WeedGuru_Flow » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:05 pm

I like it because, even though the man speaking in the video might not be a true scientific genius, what he says feels right, I also like that he doesn't simply bash religion but kind of works his way around it.

Some of those things, like us stepping out of supernova's gave me shudders down my spine, or watching the light from distant stars giving us a direct link to the surface of another sun.. yeah.
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we would all be running around darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music.

helenF9867
Casual toker
Casual toker

Post by helenF9867 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:52 pm

If there is anything for me to believe in, it would be science and reason. They're the more convincing ones compared to culture, beliefs, institutions, etc.

leprechaun
Bonghead
Bonghead

Post by leprechaun » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:11 pm

Thanks for finding this thread, i would never have come across it otherwise, the video's a cracker. Nice to know we have about 30billion years left.... However, if we are to last that long, we must take heed of Malthus and keep a watchful eye over our ever growing population.
Four star familiar.

WeedGuru_Flow
Red Eye Jedi

Post by WeedGuru_Flow » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:44 pm

Our ever growing population is becoming a problem as we speak.

The issue with the world is that even though all is there for us to manage our resources responsibly the general mindset and outlook on things is way too narrow.

We have the technology to create efficient and clean energy, we produce more than enough food to feed the world two times over but our ways of handling things leads to squandering on a massive scale.

We throw out food that isn't spoiled yet, we fail to see that even if we share everything with the ret of the planet we will still live in excess ...

I however doubt humanity will wake up in time, world leaders are too short sighted to see the big picture, or those who do are too afraid to stick their necks out, or too addicted to the power they enjoy in their present positions .

Ikku
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Post by Ikku » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:05 pm

I agree with some of your points. But as far as producing enough food to feed the world two times over, there are other considerations. If that food was more evenly distributed, the population would just increase until food was considered a scarcity again. The population will always tend to outstrip the food supply. That's one of the basic driving forces for evolution.
I personally recommend checking oneself for OCD at least once every 5 minutes.

omnific.dc
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by omnific.dc » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:03 pm

Interesting topic..but now the world is growing people are, well there's so many genres of people..to me coz of this disability, people just aren't treating the same..are people just getting dumb? English is my second language, amazing that people understand me.

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:31 am

Some interesting avenues he drags the mind along. But there is a scientific arrogance which is both bothersome and a spoiling factor, to a reel of knowledge which could be wowed at, make people dumbstruck, but the narrator seems to go further than the dumbstruck state/aim/effect. He takes on the pedagogue role. Which when not tempered with love, with feeling, which is massively, what sets us apart from the rest of the animal kingdom...it becomes abrasive and grating. Its not intelligence which sets us so apart from the rest of the animal kingdom, its our feelings and how they govern our minds and bodies...This chap seems unwilling or uninterested in focusing upon such things.

A thought provoking effort, but lacking Feeling, when every human I have ever met, is governed in some way, by Feeling. Not ever solely...thinking.

To think along the lines he thinks and educates us to think is valuable in some analytical sense, but without any appreciation of the way we FEEL, his words ring hollow and vapid. I am not missing his passion, his devotion, to his knowledge, to his suggestions from his knowledge. I simply don't find any Heart or Spirit about his delivery, in his voice. I am about Spirit and Heart and everything that makes them glow and burn...
News, football and ranting
http://thedissolutefox.com/