How do aliens travel through space

A place to discuss deeper topics

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
JokersAce
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope
Posts: 1388
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 5:00 am
Contact:

Re: How do aliens travel through space

Post by JokersAce » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:51 am

Don't worry, I'm a pop culture trivia whore myself in certain topics...
When the going gets weird, the werid turn pro.
HOW CAN SO MANY YEARS COME TO PASS WITHOUT ANYONE TELLING ME I SPELLED WEIRD WRONG?

User avatar
captainMorton
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope
Posts: 1165
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:47 pm
Location: brampton on CANADA!!
Contact:

Re: How do aliens travel through space

Post by captainMorton » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:24 am

they dont travel through space, space travels around them!

thank you dr farnsworth
[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e387/Shortfingers/captainsigcopy.jpg[/img]
[i][b][size=150][color=green]Who am I to Judge who Struck you down?[/color][/size][/b][/i]

User avatar
WeedGuru_Flow
Red Eye Jedi
Posts: 8728
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:41 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: How do aliens travel through space

Post by WeedGuru_Flow » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:58 pm

If they can travel through space they would require a means to fold spacetime to be able to travel quickly enough not to die during the long voyage.

So unless they are that advanced space travel isn't really possible.
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we would all be running around darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music.

User avatar
andriaSRH
s†☼nër bi†ch
s†☼nër bi†ch
Posts: 6300
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:43 am
Location: welcome to the midwest
Contact:

Re: How do aliens travel through space

Post by andriaSRH » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:24 pm

captainMorton wrote:they dont travel through space, space travels around them!

thank you dr farnsworth
This (Y)

User avatar
WeedGuru_Flow
Red Eye Jedi
Posts: 8728
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:41 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: How do aliens travel through space

Post by WeedGuru_Flow » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:44 am

Nothing can go faster than light, so even if there were alien civilizations out there with the technology for spacefare they would NEVER reach us before either they die or we blow ourselves to smithereens.

Why is that? Because in order to go faster than light you would need every ounce of mass in our universe to have the energy to reach the speed of light, but it is impossible to get that much matter so we will never go faster than light.


What we can do is fold spacetime through a higher dimension and use that as a shortcut, kind of like having an ant on a sheet of paper, the ant is on the left side of the rectangular sheet of paper, in order for it to get across asap you can fold both ends together, the ant can simply cross the paper by taking one step rather than travel the entire distance.
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we would all be running around darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music.

User avatar
AbbyRoad
Ganja God
Ganja God
Posts: 4342
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:09 am
Location: Sarnia
Contact:

Re: How do aliens travel through space

Post by AbbyRoad » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:08 pm

in my imagination the machines needed to fold space thing would be enormous
or palm sized
Image

User avatar
Bubbles
The Green Bastard
The Green Bastard
Posts: 4357
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:10 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: How do aliens travel through space

Post by Bubbles » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:08 am

WeedGuru_Flow wrote:Nothing can go faster than light, so even if there were alien civilizations out there with the technology for spacefare they would NEVER reach us before either they die or we blow ourselves to smithereens.

Why is that? Because in order to go faster than light you would need every ounce of mass in our universe to have the energy to reach the speed of light, but it is impossible to get that much matter so we will never go faster than light.


What we can do is fold spacetime through a higher dimension and use that as a shortcut, kind of like having an ant on a sheet of paper, the ant is on the left side of the rectangular sheet of paper, in order for it to get across asap you can fold both ends together, the ant can simply cross the paper by taking one step rather than travel the entire distance.
you really cant say aliens could never reach us because they cant live long enough.
Image

User avatar
WeedGuru_Flow
Red Eye Jedi
Posts: 8728
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:41 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: How do aliens travel through space

Post by WeedGuru_Flow » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:24 pm

Bubbles wrote:
WeedGuru_Flow wrote:Nothing can go faster than light, so even if there were alien civilizations out there with the technology for spacefare they would NEVER reach us before either they die or we blow ourselves to smithereens.

Why is that? Because in order to go faster than light you would need every ounce of mass in our universe to have the energy to reach the speed of light, but it is impossible to get that much matter so we will never go faster than light.


What we can do is fold spacetime through a higher dimension and use that as a shortcut, kind of like having an ant on a sheet of paper, the ant is on the left side of the rectangular sheet of paper, in order for it to get across asap you can fold both ends together, the ant can simply cross the paper by taking one step rather than travel the entire distance.
you really cant say aliens could never reach us because they cant live long enough.

Actually I can.


You see nothing travels faster than light, the light from other galaxies takes years to reach us, sometimes even millions of years.

So any civilization that has the capability of creating starships would either have to live pretty much indefinitely, would require ships that travel faster than light,which is simply impossible, or would have to use a higher dimension to take a shortcut and end up in our spacetime.


Space and time are linked, moving from point a to point b means moving in time and space.


So no Bubbles, even though I cannot say with 100% certainty that aliens will never reach us in time I can say it most confidently, either they have to live long enough to survive the journey from their end of the universe to ours, need technology that would allow for folding spacetime.



To make my point :

1 lightyear = 5,878,625,373,183.608 miles

If there was a highly advanced alien species/civilization out there, say a hundred million lightyears away from us, so that would be 5,878,625,373,183.608 miles x 100 000 000, and they would launch a mission towards our galaxy then it would take them so very long to reach us that by then we might already be extinct.

Every single beam of light that falls into our eyes is light that has been traveling at least 8 minutes (from the sun to us) while light from stars outside our milky way took millions of years to reach us, those stars might very well be gone!


So now do you see why I find it hard to believe we will ever actually encounter aliens?
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we would all be running around darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music.

User avatar
AbbyRoad
Ganja God
Ganja God
Posts: 4342
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:09 am
Location: Sarnia
Contact:

Re: How do aliens travel through space

Post by AbbyRoad » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:42 pm

im still stickin to the idea that they turn themselves into beams of light in order to travel great distances quickly
Image

User avatar
Bubbles
The Green Bastard
The Green Bastard
Posts: 4357
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:10 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: How do aliens travel through space

Post by Bubbles » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:29 pm

WeedGuru_Flow wrote:
Bubbles wrote:
WeedGuru_Flow wrote:Nothing can go faster than light, so even if there were alien civilizations out there with the technology for spacefare they would NEVER reach us before either they die or we blow ourselves to smithereens.

Why is that? Because in order to go faster than light you would need every ounce of mass in our universe to have the energy to reach the speed of light, but it is impossible to get that much matter so we will never go faster than light.


What we can do is fold spacetime through a higher dimension and use that as a shortcut, kind of like having an ant on a sheet of paper, the ant is on the left side of the rectangular sheet of paper, in order for it to get across asap you can fold both ends together, the ant can simply cross the paper by taking one step rather than travel the entire distance.
you really cant say aliens could never reach us because they cant live long enough.

Actually I can.


You see nothing travels faster than light, the light from other galaxies takes years to reach us, sometimes even millions of years.

So any civilization that has the capability of creating starships would either have to live pretty much indefinitely, would require ships that travel faster than light,which is simply impossible, or would have to use a higher dimension to take a shortcut and end up in our spacetime.


Space and time are linked, moving from point a to point b means moving in time and space.


So no Bubbles, even though I cannot say with 100% certainty that aliens will never reach us in time I can say it most confidently, either they have to live long enough to survive the journey from their end of the universe to ours, need technology that would allow for folding spacetime.



To make my point :

1 lightyear = 5,878,625,373,183.608 miles

If there was a highly advanced alien species/civilization out there, say a hundred million lightyears away from us, so that would be 5,878,625,373,183.608 miles x 100 000 000, and they would launch a mission towards our galaxy then it would take them so very long to reach us that by then we might already be extinct.

Every single beam of light that falls into our eyes is light that has been traveling at least 8 minutes (from the sun to us) while light from stars outside our milky way took millions of years to reach us, those stars might very well be gone!


So now do you see why I find it hard to believe we will ever actually encounter aliens?
:ohjeez: there is limitless possibilities, its only to our knowledge you cant move faster than light, there could be a race of goddamn beams of light as Abby suggested.

i mean.. what if these aliens simply traveled back in time, are actually native to earth but so distant in the future this race looks nothing like we could imagine, and we see them as high-tech space travelers from a distant solar system.
Image

User avatar
wgToonces
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot
Posts: 2783
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 8:57 am
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Contact:

Re: How do aliens travel through space

Post by wgToonces » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:52 pm

WeedGuru_Flow wrote:If they can travel through space they would require a means to fold spacetime to be able to travel quickly enough not to die during the long voyage.

So unless they are that advanced space travel isn't really possible.
Yeah man, this is pretty much it for me. Had a deep stoned thought about this the other night in the snow. Me and koomz went out at 1am to this swing park near his mums house in this really quiet suburb. With about 20 layers on each we trekked through the snow for about 5 mins till we got there. Sat on the swings and smoked a joint of some nice weed each then I started thinking about aliens and how they must actually travel. Like if nothing can travel faster than light then they can't get here just by normal means. They would have to pull space towards them or something like that, but if they could do that, then when they got out the other end then surely they would have aged so much they would be dead? So I kind of dismiss the thought of aliens visiting us now. BUT I just had a thought. What if they've found a way to NOT AGE on the trip through the space holes??? This is getting interesting. Maybe they can pull the point in space they want to go to, to them, step through, and be on the "other side" but they have found a way to not age during the trip...Soo I dunno if that made sense but hopefully I got my point across.
:scratchs:

User avatar
WeedGuru_Flow
Red Eye Jedi
Posts: 8728
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:41 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: How do aliens travel through space

Post by WeedGuru_Flow » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:51 am

Then they would have to be able to keep themselves suspended in some sort of stasis, or cryosleep, which isn't within our own grasp quite yet.


And Bubbles: No there aren't limitless ways, this universe is ruled by fixed laws, in order to travel faster than light you would need every gram of mass in our universe converted to energy, that is impossible.
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we would all be running around darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music.

User avatar
SpRi7e
Ganja God
Ganja God
Posts: 5208
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:48 am
Contact:

Re: How do aliens travel through space

Post by SpRi7e » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:04 pm

yeah unless they are made out of something that doesn't follow the same laws as WE DO.. wasn't there just a post about nasa finding new life that isn't anything that abides by our laws of nature?

I'm with bubbles, I'd say it's ignorant to say there aren't any more possibilities... Just because we haven't discovered the loop holes to our laws, doesn't mean they don't exist. Maybe they can get a massssive energy force from an off combination of chemicals. I think if you learned through the progression of the last 20 years, we have been finding different ways to do things every day that no one would have EVER believed to be possible

fuck, like there could be a living organism that was set up to be able to TELEPORT through space, maybe randomly occurring spasm's in there body that just shoots itself to various locations everywhere. You don't know
Peace Not Greed.

User avatar
AbbyRoad
Ganja God
Ganja God
Posts: 4342
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:09 am
Location: Sarnia
Contact:

Re: How do aliens travel through space

Post by AbbyRoad » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:04 pm

they found bacteria that has arsenic as its basic building block
Image

User avatar
WeedGuru_Flow
Red Eye Jedi
Posts: 8728
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:41 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: How do aliens travel through space

Post by WeedGuru_Flow » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:07 pm

Actually they made them :p but it's very exciting news, this means that the basic building blocks for life are in fact interchangeable and that there might be silica based lifeforms out there.
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we would all be running around darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users