Hot Knives

Bongs, pipes, fuckbukets, lungs, vaporizers, grinders etc....

Moderator: Moderators

Weedguru Higher
Tetrahydrocannabinologist

Hot Knives

Post by Weedguru Higher » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:20 pm

Hot Knives
Unknown Author

Spots (also known as hot knives, Knifers, spotting, Knifies, blades, knife hits, dots or hot knives) is a method of smoking cannabis, where small pieces of the plant (dots or spots) are placed between two very hot knives, squeezed together and the smoke produced is inhaled. Alternatively, hashish or hash oil can be spotted, though this practice is less commonplace than spotting plant material. The term spotting is native to New Zealand and perhaps Australia, in other parts of the world it is known as hot-kniving.

Technique

The knives are generally handled (driven) by a person other than the smoker, who inhales the smoke usually through the mouthpiece of a funnel-like vessel (spottle, bowser or hooter) of some description - commonly a plastic or glass bottle with the bottom removed. Some people will drive spots to themselves, which affords the added danger of having hot knives near their lips. A common technique to smoothen the 'hit' is to store the spottle device (esp. glass ones) inside a freezer for some time prior to the session.
The word spottle come from spotting/bottle.

Spottle

Care should be taken to not touch the edges of a bottle with the hot knives when a plastic spottle has been chosen. Vapors emitted by burnt or melted plastic are highly dangerous and carcinogenic.

Spotting knives are easily recognizable, owing to the discoloration they sustain as a result of consistent, long-term exposure to heat. Often, the knife handles are wrapped in insulation tape to minimize heat transferring up the handles, and to reduce the risk of burns to the driver. Bone-handled knives are often preferred. The most common heat source for spotting knives is a stove-top element. Other heating methods, particularly whilst camping and holidaymaking or when a stove-top element is unavailable, include gas cookers and gas heaters; indeed any other heating device with a grill in which the knives can sit safely can be used. Toasters are not recommended as this can cause serious injury or death by electrocution.

Note the use of a flattened spoon to reflect heat from the elements back onto the spotting knives(last picture). This heat-trapping technique is considered by some to be the mark of a connoisseur. Conversely, many consider it to be unnecessary and an added inconvenience although with a ceramic (flat-topped stove) the reflector serves a useful purpose (Note: ceramic-topped stoves are very easy to scratch).

Glass Blades

Also note the knives are "weaved" under the second outermost coil of the element. The effectiveness of this technique is debatable, proponents would argue this ensures maximum heat transfer from the element to the knives, by ensuring a large area of contact with the heating element and it holds the knives firmly in place. But the movement caused by withdrawing and replacing knives may result in occasional visits to your local hardware store to replace the elements as the continual activity will inevitably cause scratching which can increase the resistance of the heating coil. This increased resistance combined with heat can cause the heating element to fail and break down.

Hot Knives Heating

NinjetteDL420
Bonghead
Bonghead

Re: Hot Knives

Post by NinjetteDL420 » Thu May 27, 2010 6:52 am

Weedguru Higher

Post by Weedguru Higher » Thu May 27, 2010 7:27 pm

Thanks for the contribution Ninjette!

SpRi7e
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by SpRi7e » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:19 pm

holy crotch monkeys.. thank god I shaved.. but yeah, our video is a fairly good tutorial on how to do it the simplest way and I guess a technique or two in there that made it work better for us
Peace Not Greed.

bestfighter
Why Hello There !

Post by bestfighter » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:42 pm

Yeah, talking of hot knives here i really like it. Maybe it can cut anything we want. Thanks bro..

FredyBoi
Why Hello There !

Post by FredyBoi » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:17 am

yeah, hot knives is really cool!! it can cut anything......
Brass Knuckles - "Add an extreme wallop to your punch"

andriaSRH
s†☼nër bi†ch
s†☼nër bi†ch

Post by andriaSRH » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:57 am

NinjetteDL420 wrote:
"Marilyn Monroe? Oooohhhhh!"

:rofl:

logically
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope

Post by logically » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:37 am

I have never toked this way. I have taken marijuana almost every way possible, but never like that.

I would be totally down to try it at least once in my life though.
ImageA warrior may choose pacifism, all others are condemned to it.Image

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:30 am

i remember playing hot knife many times as a kid in kent...a large plastic coke bottle cut in half, the top in my mouth, others burning with two hot knives a lump of resin, and the smoke drawn into the bottle...strong. But since leaving Kent, i have very rarely smoked or even come across resin. The last I knew in brighton was all skunk...and here in melbourne, its all green...sometimes it seems kinda skunk-ish, but nowhere near the crystal covered, ultra pokey standard of brighton cheese.
News, football and ranting
http://thedissolutefox.com/

legalman
Why Hello There !

Post by legalman » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:13 pm

I have a friend that has tried this, great technique. :blunt:

omnific.dc
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by omnific.dc » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:18 pm

Haven't tried spotties in years! Does get ya pretty ripped but.