Cleaning Your Pipe and Bong

Bongs, pipes, fuckbukets, lungs, vaporizers, grinders etc....

Moderator: Moderators

Weedguru Higher
Tetrahydrocannabinologist

Post by Weedguru Higher » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:35 pm

Below are 3 different methods for cleaning your glass pipe or bong. The same applies to metal pipes, just make sure you disassemble your piece first. There is also a method for collecting the resin in your pipe.

Steps to Cleaning a Pipe with Alcohol

To clean a glass pipe, you’ll first need to gather your supplies. You’ll need a bottle of isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol), sea salt(tablesalt can also be used), a plastic sandwich bag, pipe cleaners, rubber gloves (only because it’s gross), and cotton swabs. You could replace the plastic bag with any plastic, ceramic, or metal container if you like. You can get all this for around six dollars at any grocery store. Commercial glass pipe cleaners can cost anywhere from twenty to sixty dollars. In most cities, $60 can get you some top quality tobacco.

Grab your glass pipe and force some sea salt into the crevices, then place the pipe in the plastic bag or container and submerge the pipe in rubbing alcohol. The rubbing alcohol will help dissolve the resin’s hold on your glass pipe, while the sea salt adds friction and helps scour the inside of the pipe. There are many ways to clean a glass pipe, but this one’s efficacy becomes apparent quickly.

Shake the bag violently while pretending to be electrocuted. I usually keep adding sea salt as it dissolves into the developing black murk. You may have to rinse with hot water and repeat this step a few times to clean your glass pipe thoroughly. To get more leverage, take the glass pipe out of the bag, cover all the holes, and shake it how you’re not supposed to shake a baby. If you don’t need your pipe immediately (papers, alternate glass pipe), you can save yourself some effort and just let it soak overnight.

Use your cotton swabs and pipe cleaners to get any extra debris out of your piece. When I’m done shaking and rinsing this disturbingly phallic glass pipe, I usually have to use a cotton swab to clear the mouth piece .

Now rinse the bowl under hot water one last time. You have now learned how to clean a glass pipe. If the sight of your clean pipe gets your mouth watering for tobacco right away, get rid of the moisture with a blow dryer. Use a lighter to harden and dry any resin that is left in the pipe.

Steps to Cleaning a Pipe With Boiling Water

1. Find a stainless steel cooking pot large enough to submerge the entire pipe with water. Fill the pot three-quarters of the way to the top. Add 3 tbsp. of salt to the water, and stir the water with a cooking spoon. Put the pot of water on the stove, and set the burner to the highest setting.

2. Put the pipe into the pot, when the water boils. Using the tongs, carefully lift the pipe up, and gently place it into the water. Assist in filling the insides of the pipe by turning it on its side under water. When the pipe is completely filled gently place it at the bottom of the pot, and allow it to boil for 15 minutes.

3. Use the tongs lift the pipe out of the water, and allow it to drain completely, after you see the resin and the contents of the glass pipe float up to the top of the pot. Then place the pipe back into the water, and fill the insides. Repeat this process two or three more times, depending on how much resin is seen coming out. When there is nothing else coming out of the pipe, empty it completely then place it on three sheets of folded paper toweling. Allow the pipe to cool down for 10 to 20 minutes until it is cold to the touch.

4. Clean out the remaining resin when the pipe is at room temperature. Take the paper clip and bend it open. Use the paper clip as a scraping tool to remove the excess resin from the insides of the pipe and its bowl. You can enter the pipe through the mouth piece and through the carb if the pipe has one. Have a additional paper towel handy to clean off the resin from the paperclip before re-entering the pipe for further cleaning.

5. Continue cleaning the pipe until you become satisfied with its cleanliness, and the job is finished.

Cleaning With Methylated Spirit and Rice

What is methylated spirit and where can I buy it?

In the UK, Australia, and New Zealand, metho is called methylated spirits.
In the US and Canada its called denatured alcohol, methyl hydrate*, or fondue fuel.
In Europe, it may be called spirits, Brennspiritus or just Spiritus or Ethylalkohol (Germany), alcool a bruler (France), or alcool etilico denaturato (Italy).
It is generally available in hardware stores, supermarkets, service stations, and camping/outdoors stores. Methylated spirits may not be available in some countries due to alcohol restrictions (e.g. Pakistan).

Here is a bong in need of a clean, and here is a very easy way to clean it using rice and methylated spirit.

1. First, rinse it out with cold water to get all the loose stuff out of the way

2. Throw in a handful of uncooked rice and pour in some methylated spirit, cover the holes and shake the bong well in random directions for about 30 seconds or until clean.

3. All the dirt is in the methylated spirit now instead of adhering to the inside of the bong.

4.There will be a bit of loose crap left on the sides of the bong but if you rinse immediately it will not be a problem, I wipe over the outside of the bong using paper moistened with methylated spirit to remove any streaks.

5. Add the water, clean isn't it?

You can also purchase commercial pipe/bong cleaning solutions at your local headshop, but in my experience these homemade methods work just as well .

How to Scrape a Pipe for Resin

We've all been there, out of bud and desperate for a hit. We've all stooped to the same lows; scouring the house for weed, smoking the stems, and scraping the pipe. None of these methods is very satisfying, and worse yet they are all a pain in the ass.

Scraping your pipe is the worst of the desperate options a stoner has. I have learned from personal experience that this can oftentimes end very poorly. Three of my pipes have been broken during resin collecting accidents, and considering how much a glass pipe can cost, this can be very disappointing.

Odds are, you're still planning to scrape your pipe, but before you do, let me say this; DON"T DO IT MAN! ARE YOU FUCKING CRAZY?! No, seriously, don't do it, I have a much better alternative.

What You Need: -A glass jar large enough so that your pipe will fit inside
-Something to cover the jar
-A full supply for 99% isopropyl alcohol (Don't opt for the cheep/weak stuff, it will fail you)
-Another jar
-Some paper coffee filters

Ok, now if you have any inclination to use anything other than glass for your jar and bowl, don't. The process that you will be doing will not work well with plastics (and it could be harmful to your health).
What You Do

1. Put your pipe in the jar
2. Pour alcohol into the jar until your pipe is fully submerged
3. Put a lid over the jar and let it sit for at least a day

At this point you are probably thinking that I'm just fucking with you, but fear not, for the Guru doesn't do that kind of shit. I'm your friend remember.

Now that you have given your pipe a day to soak, the alcohol should look and smell pretty gross. This is good. Go ahead and pull your pipe out of the alcohol and rinse it off. Now don't get rid of the alcohol because you aren't done with it yet. As you will see, when your rinse your pipe out, the end result will be a practically new looking pipe. This is because alcohol is a strong solvent and a damn good cleanser.

Here is the best part, getting back all of that THC that was stuck to the inside of your pipe. If you don't know it already, THC is absorbed by alcohol and other solvents, so the THC that was in your pipe, is now in the alcohol.

Now, do you remember the bowl, coffee filters, and the other jar I told you to get? Of course not, you're probably stoned, that's ok, I don't frown on that, but you should probably read go get those things if you haven't already.

Go ahead and secure a coffee filter in your empty jar with a rubber band or some tape. Now slowly pour the alcohol that you used to clean your pipe through the coffee filter and into the other jar. This will ensure that the bits of soot and what not will be filtered out of the alcohol. After that, pour the now filtered alcohol into your bowl. Have you done all that? Good.

Now just go ahead and leave your bowl of alcohol in your garage or outside (away from the weather) and let it sit. Check back on it now and then, but it should be evaporating. On a hot day in the sun, it should evaporate within a day or two, otherwise a week or so. DO NOT BE IMPATIENT! DO NOT, AND I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH, DO NOT USE A HEAT SOURCE TO INDUCE EVAPORATION, YOU COULD BLOW YOURSELF UP. I said it, that's your one warning, if you burn your house down doing this, it won't be my fault because I told you not to do it.

Once all of the alcohol ( and I do mean all so don't be impatient) has evaporated you should be left with a black goo. It will be very sticky, and have the consistency of toffee. This is hash, use a razor blade and scrape up every last bit. Use it sparingly, it will get you plenty stoned with even the smallest quantity.

Note : You can also scrape your pipe using something like a paperclip, tiny screwdriver, small knife. Heating the pipe with your lighter beforehand will make the resin come off easier.

How to Clean a Bong Percolator

A bong percolator is a sub-chamber that filters smoke through water a second time. This creates a smoother hit, but smoke, resin and other residue can build up and clog the tiny holes. Fortunately, it is fairly easy to clean a bong percolator using table salt, Oxyclean, Coca-cola and denture tablets.
Difficulty: Moderately Easy
Instructions
Things You'll Need:

* Table salt
* Bong stopper
* Oxyclean
* Coca-cola
* Denture tablets

1. Empty all water from the bong and remove the bowl. Pour ½ cup of salt into the bong and fill it halfway up with water. Place a bong stopper into the top of the bong to prevent the water from spilling out.

2. Place your thumb over the hole in the stem where the bowl is inserted to prevent water from spilling. Turn the bowl upside down and allow the water to move through the bong. Turn it right-side up so the salt water moves back through the bong and the holes in the percolator.

3. Remove the bong stopper and empty the bong completely. Pour 1 cup of Oxyclean into the bong and fill it with water. Allow the bong to soak for four to six hours, or until all stains have lifted. Empty the bong and allow it to dry for one to two hours.

4. Fill the bong with Coca-cola and let it sit for 30 minutes to clean extreme stains. Pour the Coca-cola out and rinse the bong several times with hot water to remove sticky residue from the soda.

5. Fill the bong with lukewarm water, add two denture-cleaning tablets and allow it to sit overnight. Empty and rinse the bong thoroughly in the morning.

Tips & Warnings

A wine stopper can be used in place of a bong stopper. Only use table salt when cleaning percolators, as it is small enough to fit inside the tiny holes.
Always clean and handle the bong over a soft surface. This will prevent it from shattering in case you accidentally drop it.

jasonrrr1975
Casual toker
Casual toker

Re: Cleaning Your Pipe and Bong

Post by jasonrrr1975 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:16 pm

To avoid build up, make sure you clean out your bowl after each use. There are ashtrays for pipes out there, like the Kashtray, that make this really easy.

emilyblunt
Casual toker
Casual toker

Post by emilyblunt » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:22 pm

For sleek pipes, I clean it with a cigarette filter. After smoking a cigarette, just remove the cigarette paper and the filter will serve as a foam/sponge. Just use a stick to poke it inside the pipe and it will be cleaned. :)

Weedguru Higher

Post by Weedguru Higher » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:16 pm

^ Good idea...never heard that one before

AbbyRoad
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by AbbyRoad » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:52 pm

cool idea but i would be paranoid of particles from the filter. id have to rinse it out anyways

jennyj
Why Hello There !

Post by jennyj » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:09 am

I think it works better then any other

SykonoT
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by SykonoT » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:03 pm

Basically the last method " when you dry the alcohol for the"
Is the same as making ISO hash oil. Just instead of bud n trim your using the resin.
Very awesome, to those who haven't tried it. I recommend it instead of going about the harder ways.

I love looking back on these threads:)
Bop bop beech