School...The Academic Realm...What do you/ did you study???

Sit down, skin up!

Moderator: Moderators

Grrrl

Re: School...The Academic Realm...What do you/ did you study

Post by Grrrl » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:45 pm

My academic record started off relatively well 9 gcse's grade B and above, then it went down hill for a bit, I did terrible at college, I just hated it, it was an over the top othordox catholic college with nuns, a chaplaincy (great spliff rolling spot that) and mandatory prayer (or spliff in the neighbouring park as it were for me), I deliberately failed my compulsory R.E AS level exam by writing an essay of disdain against the amibguity of a question and about structured religions lack of objectivity and how most people use it as a social status booster. I pulled a similar stunt in my German A level exam. I came out of college in the end with C in english language, D in pyschology and a D in art and design. But the art classes sucked, the tutor was a paint by numbers bob ross type, who had little appreciation for anything that broke the mould and wasn't a Richter or Turner rip off.

I went off into the big wide world on my own then for a while, learnt some valuable and some painfully harsh but necessary life lessons, had my own cleaning business for a time, then credit crunch hit, so I thought fuck it I'll go uni. Did a fine art degree, came out with a 2.1, which weren't too bad considering my attendance levels were below 70%, and family health issues detracted my full attention. Had I been younger when I went to uni I dont think I would have done so well, I wouldn't have taken it seriously enough, and been drawn too far into the social aspects of things, rather than fulfilling the real purpose of my being there.

Wasn't really thinking of my career prospects when I choose the subject for my degree, pretty narrow scope for employment really - teaching, art therapy, designer etc. I just wanted to do summat that could stimulate my mind and I could channel my attention into and enjoy.
Recently after deciding a life in social care is not a wholly desirable future for me, I decided to sign onto a supporting teaching and learning in schools level 3 course so I could get a job as a teaching assistant / learning support assistant. It's a distant learning course, but recognised by ofsted and the other relevant education boards, and involves a 50 hr placement in a school. Should have completed it by April pending all goes well :)
I do want to resit my German A level, partially cos I don't handle failure so well even if it was on my own terms, also I do enjoy learning/ speaking other languages too. I wouldnt mind doing a few other language courses too, prolly Spanish, maybe Dutch or Italian. The main driving force behind that I suspect would be an intense desire to vacate the UK on a permanent basis, I hold no love for my home country, its culture, values, attitudes and especially the majority of the natives. I figure the more languages I'm competent in, the more likely it is I can find a valid escape route.
Me importa un pimiento...

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:00 am

Wicked read, Del...Its a welcome treat to hear your voice flowing from the screen. And I hope the distance learning course is moving forward reasonably. My own open uni routine is proving bothersome. Bullshit long distance lecturer, obsequious students congregating in virtual lounges and causing me to spit bile into words for them all to shrink away from and aim to return when the coast is clear.

My own fault, for choosing Professional Writing. If I continue, after finishing this dud course, I will definitely focus more on an editing qualification, editing and proof-reading, useful skills especially here in a country where the literacy rate must be sinking slowly but surely to levels of countries around the globe where english is not the mother tounge.

The most beautiful soul I have met in the southern hemisphere, one of a handful of such delightfully warm and sincere creatures I have collided with in my 34 years, is an arts therapist. She lived here in my lair for a year or so and we became close friends. Many of her clients also became her friends out of the work place and in turn my friends. Of course that breaks an important clitn/therapist rule or three, but as Sally did, I saw it as extra heart shown, and the feeling from a damaged individual's position to know that Sally was not merely adopting a role in their sessions which switched off when the time was up, was surely a great and wonderful thing. Her desire to nurture, encourage to create and find happiness never abated. Often I felt this used up so much of her vitality that she had little left for herself, and could easily spend an evening and day, stoned, closed off to the world...I miss her!

It seems that there are plenty of opportunities here in social care. If your plans to move remain solid, as I suspect they will, as they have been a part of you for a fair while now, remind me to ask Sally of companies and groups for you to potentially contact here in antartica. Never know, it could lead to something...

My savage queen's sister is moving to London next June after securing a position with a private company responsible for home help. She gets paid, lives with the clients and is on call 24/7...however that works. As far as I am aware, Maria has a succession of certificates in Community Services with a heavy focus upon helping the homeless and mentally troubled. Perhaps she has been slowly working towards a degree...

Wishing you a wicked christmas, my dear. And continued good luck with your mission to escape the F.UK.

cutthecashflow
Intellecutally Wasted
Intellecutally Wasted

Post by cutthecashflow » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:11 pm

Nice read Grll and Animal. I never took school all too seriously either until I got into a fight with my dad one day. The bull was throwing left and rights and cursing like a sailor the whole time. I, being agile and mobile at the time managed to dodge most of the blows, but my strikes lacked in the brute force that my old man was delivering to me. I don't blame him, I was acting like a first rate rat-bastard and I deserved everything he threw at me. After some time in this squabble he said some pretty hurtful things, which were also true at the time and I decided that I could prove him wrong, but not by conventional standards. No, that would have been too easy to run from my problems and return when I was old enough to slay the bull, so instead against his wishes I enrolled in college where I maintained a 4.0/4.0 GPA, got accepted into a doctoral program with my tuition waived and a monthly stipend awarded to me by the program for my academic achievement.

It's funny how things work out, because if I would have continued down my path and if my old man would not have traded blows with me I would probably be in prison right now. Some kids need to learn the hard way and I was one of those kids. The things I didn't get in trouble for are far worse than the things that I did get into trouble for, so with a little lady luck and tough love I managed to get through things in one piece. Now my dad and I are tight, but he still hopes one of my children acts like I did growing up so I can feel his pain. I'll welcome the challenge, but I'm unsure how I will respond to the actions of a my child if he behaves even remotely like I did.

Animal, is your professional writing course the likes of learning how to write memos and such or is it more technical like writing research papers and grant proposals. That is what I currently do in school and I will admit is a bit drab, but that is why I enjoy this forum, so I can unleash some of my individual prose upon others while getting away from the daily academic grind. It's also why my posts are not nearly as long when I am in school compared to when I am off for a month or three.
Get busy living or get busy dying.

Weedguru Higher
Tetrahydrocannabinologist

Post by Weedguru Higher » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:57 am

If I could wake up tomorrow and have a new life and choice of a dream job, I'd choose to be a game warden...like in the mountains in Montana or Southern Alaska

Grrrl

Post by Grrrl » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:00 pm

That'd also be a sweet job higher I never thought of that :)
cutthecashflow wrote:It's funny how things work out, because if I would have continued down my path and if my old man would not have traded blows with me I would probably be in prison right now. Some kids need to learn the hard way and I was one of those kids. The things I didn't get in trouble for are far worse than the things that I did get into trouble for, so with a little lady luck and tough love I managed to get through things in one piece. Now my dad and I are tight, but he still hopes one of my children acts like I did growing up so I can feel his pain. I'll welcome the challenge, but I'm unsure how I will respond to the actions of my child if he behaves even remotely like I did.
I had a similar time with my parents too during my teens / early 20's too, much like you I also fear I'd have no idea how I'd handle similar behaviour if I ever had kids and they acted the way I did. Hopefully all that is a way off yet for me though, that's if it ever even comes onto the cards. Being a parent must be absolutely terrifying, and where I'm at in life right now I am no way near ready to have my own offspring and make a decent attempt at being a good parent. I'll just stick with my furry bunny child for now :)
Me importa un pimiento...

Weedguru Higher

Post by Weedguru Higher » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:48 pm

I can confirm that being a parent is indeed terrifying!

I didn't finish highschool and my kids know it. I've been emphasizing the importance of an education since they were very young. Repeatedly telling them that they can do better, that they need to do better. To not make the mistake I made. I'm walking proof that an education matters, and I think they see it. There's no better example than that of your parents. It's something they can understand atleast. I sometimes joke about it saying stuff like, well in a few years when you've laid down a good job do you think you could lend me a few bucks? It helps make the connection if you know what I mean

sugarstalker
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by sugarstalker » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:00 am

What bugs me is when people start throwing around names of people who didn't finish college, like Bill Gates and Zuckerberg for instance. First of all, they dropped out of Harvard, which means they had to actually get into Harvard. And second, the reason they quit college was because they had an idea, and the drive to pursue that idea. I am quite certain that both Bill Gates and Zuckerberg would not have been able to do what they did without that college/university stay.

Planning your life in comparison to the virtuosos of this world is not a realistic way to look at it.

NinjetteDL420
Bonghead
Bonghead

Post by NinjetteDL420 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:00 pm

I'm currently going to school for Fine Arts. Eventually I would like to be a college professor and do some free lance on the side. I love college. Hated school before. My grades were C, D, F. It was a miracle if i got a B. And well A's never happened.

WeedGuru_Flow
Red Eye Jedi

Post by WeedGuru_Flow » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:33 am

Well lookie here, Ninjette!

My academical history is quite brief but intense.

After graduating highschool with a degree in commerce and Business management I decided to pursue my interest in languages and went to the Higher Institute for Translators & Interpreters to study English and Spanish.

Unfortunately, although my performance throughout the year was commendable, my performance during the finals were ... under par to say the least.

What can I say? I'm good at everything there is to be done about studying except for obviously studying finals, I don't know why, i just completely fail to process large quantities of information...

After my first failure I persisted and paid for my tuition, i didn't feel like saddling my parents up with extra costs.

Yet again I failed, i'm just not a student.

After that I started working, attempted one more year of studies with pretty much the same result and have been into IT-recruitment ever since, five years now.
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we would all be running around darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music.

sugarstalker
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by sugarstalker » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:33 pm

why IT-recruitment? seems oddly specific. What kind of IT people are you usually hiring? dev.s, network admins?

capnrosie
Casual toker
Casual toker

Post by capnrosie » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:12 pm

My story's relatively boring...doing a B.A. in Psychology, which i'm doing great in, is hella interesting but realistically not going to make me much of a good living unless I'd like to do me a PhD or something. My recent curiosity/studies in random high school science courses had made me reconsider paths, and I'll hopefully finish a specialization in psych (i'm hanging out 23% above class average and I really do quite love it) and with my electives, I'm taking credits that would make me eligible for transfer credits for the Midwifery program in my province.

I'm also doing a certificate in Spanish alongside my psychology stuff.

And a certificate in crisis-intervention (kinda how to apply the theoretical stuff I learn in psychology, but this certificate is a side thing offered through a mental health organization.)

I'm paying for this myself and it's fairly manageable (esp cause I live at home - free rent. plus I work, so yeah, manageable :P)

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:46 am

My latest assignment earned me a staggering 56%...the job was to write a speech. Whilst there was chapter on ethics in the section, I focused more upon, during my brief interest, the power of spoken word to groups. The tutor should have been thankful I didn't choose Hitler, but maybe he would have been a better example, for the point of speech-making, to me, and to everyone who makes a speech, is to effect a definite reaction. To persuade, to push, to incite, to inspire...I chose to present myself as an author of a book about the media as a new weapon in the palestinian struggle. The scene was an event organized by Australian Friends Of Palestine Association, which is a legitimate organization.

The feedback from my tutor was brutal...she opened with 'you clearly haven't read, or took no notice of, the chapter based on ethics. For your speech clearly aimed to incite racial and religious hatred, stopped mere inches short of advocated violence and displayed an eagerness for bloodshed. Your use of Our Enemies throughout the piece was upsetting and subjective'.

I was seething, yet unsurprised when I received these words by email. The only smile I found was with her closing line of 'Perhaps you should choose an official organization next time'.

Fucking idiot...

This speech will be given at an Australian Friends of Palestine Association meeting in January 2014. The role of the speaker is that of the author of a book focused on the new dawn of the part played by the media in spreading news of the Palestinian struggle, titled 'The role of the media in the Palestinian struggle'. The author is a supporter of the Palestinian cause for resistance of Israeli occupation and the formation of an internationally recognised Palestinian state.

Good afternoon and welcome friends new and old, brothers and sisters in arms. It is truly heartening to see so many of you here to support our cause. I thank you all for your attendance. I thank my comrade, editor and advisor sitting to my right for organising this event and also our wonderful hosts, the Australian Friends of Palestine Association, for providing such a marvellous venue.

Whilst it may irk my publisher somewhat, I will begin by clearly stating that we are not here to promote my book. We are here to support the cause that spawned the book. A cause which burns in the hearts of our people young and old, rich and poor and increasingly so, burns equally as fiercely in the hearts of our allies, the world over. A cause which continues to devastate the lives of thousands of Palestinians, in a land which shrinks week by week, house demolition by house demolition, peace talk by peace talk...

From the streets of Gaza, it can seem that the only progress made is made by our enemies. Our enemies in Tel Aviv, in Washington, in London, in Ottawa. Yet from the luxury of distance, within the relative safety found hundreds if not thousands of miles away from the region, change IS afoot. Our ranks are growing. Our cause is reaching wider and further than ever before and with this new found exposure, comes new found support.

Had I been standing here 10 years ago to launch this book, would I have required this grand hall to seat 500, let alone been forced to add to the invitations a note regarding standing room only?? The chances are that I would not.

Well, I have news for our enemies. The cat is slowly emerging from the bag. Whilst the blood drenched soil continues to birth soldiers who fight for survival, for their families, for their land, for their very right to exist, their comrades are rising up around the globe. Through use of the internet, the rise of social networking and a new swathe of media institutions offering an alternative take on current affairs, the West is learning more than ever before about the horror-show that is...I will stop myself here and let several Israeli official of government and army complete my sentence.

Israeli Interior minister, Eli Yishai, said in November 2012, that 'the aim of the operation is to send Gaza back to the dark ages'.
Gilad Sharon, son of former Israeli prime minister Arial Sharon, Major in the Israeli army, 'the desire to prevent harm to innocent civilians in Gaza will ultimately lead to harming the truly innocent: the residents of southern Israel. The residents of Gaza are not innocent,.'
'We must flatten all of Gaza like Hiroshima'
Michael Ben-Ari '“There are no innocents in Gaza, mow them all down”

Countless more examples of such open desire for genocide are cited in my book. Yet they can also be found within the emerging media institutions finally offering an alternative viewpoint to the world which will shock, disgust and appal. Al Jazeera, Russia Times, PressTV and many others are staking their claim for truth, for spreading global awareness of the ongoing woes of the Middle East.

Even more hard hitting was the latest report by the U.N. Committee on the Rights of the Child, published in June of 2013, which concluded that,
"Palestinian children arrested by (Israeli) military and police are systematically subject to degrading treatment, and often to acts of torture, are interrogated in Hebrew, a language they did not understand, and sign confessions in Hebrew in order to be released." 

I need not add, to this educated crowd, that the majority of Palestinian children arrested by the IDF are suspected of throwing stones. What happens to these children when or if they are released to head home beaten, bruised and intimidated? The strongest human instinct is one of survival. When faced with tanks, torture, missiles, beatings, what more can we expect of anyone other than to fight back?

It is not, and it will never be my stance to advocate armed resistance. It is my stance to highlight the causes of armed resistance. To show the world what these people, my people, our people, are attempting to resist.

The plight of the Palestinians reaches beyond the ever shrinking borders of the West Bank and Gaza Strip. It reaches beyond the Middle East. For the struggle of my fellow human being against oppression, against genocide, against the very right to exist, is my own struggle, it is OUR struggle.

A new dawn is upon us. A dawn of access to information unfathomable to previous generations. No longer can the world swallow the commercial product we call News without being exposed to contrasting information presented under the same definition. Knowledge is power. There can be no doubt of this. Which is why the Israeli youth, from a very early age, are indoctrinated into a state of fabricated persecution, horridly embellished nationalism, hatred for the people they are told are their enemies.

Some of you will already be familiar with Sa’ar Szekely. He is a man I interviewed - as part of my research for my book - soon after his controversial involvement in, and colourful exit from the Big Brother reality TV show. Before we even met, like millions of others who witnessed his anti-Zionist debate on live TV and Youtube, I saw in him, for his countrymen and mine, something which makes me glow deep down. I saw HOPE. And how better to end this speech, than to quote a man whose embodies the power of this new age of information technology...

“You need to wake up and realize that the only way to save this country is to remove it from this conflict and the only way to remove it from this conflict is to stop coveting more and more land, more and more power, and to realize that real power means stopping the fighting not prolonging it indefinitely.”

I thank you for your company and for your support. Who knows, maybe within the congregation here this afternoon, we will find the next Sa'ar Szekly.

sugarstalker
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by sugarstalker » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:26 pm

Amusing that the only words that could be considered truly hateful and inciting violence were the quotes of the israeli officials.

Even if the assignment was to write a speech about ethics, this doesn't exactly miss its mark - This speech I think has a certain lack of ethical thought, but that in itself is a side of ethics that has to be considered

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:34 am

sugarstalker wrote:Amusing that the only words that could be considered truly hateful and inciting violence were the quotes of the israeli officials.

Even if the assignment was to write a speech about ethics, this doesn't exactly miss its mark - This speech I think has a certain lack of ethical thought, but that in itself is a side of ethics that has to be considered
Its a great point, Sugar...One I will use when I respond to the tutor, now that my flames of rage have lessened, and adopt a diplomatic tone.

As Higher mentioned earlier...My dream job for many moons in my younger years was to be some form of game warden enforced, flying around in an apache protecting endangered species from poachers, gunning them down if they were numerous, and if in small enough numbers, drugging them, tying them to a rope to the apace, then dangling them in front of the lions and hyenas...Failing which, a Rambo type Warden, who hunts the hunters, evens out the odds, for a rhino has tusks, but no chance against a bullet, so let's give the rhino some support eh??

NinjetteDL420
Bonghead
Bonghead

Post by NinjetteDL420 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:47 am

WooHoo!!! I just got accepted into the honor society at school for having a GPA higher than 3.5 sweet! I get my name in the local paper and an induction ceremony next month. Not to mention access to scholarships and recommendation letters. I was the worst student ever but I got to the real world and figured out that I dont want to be in Culinary and I am now excelling in everything I do going to school for Fine Art. Im just so stoked!!! I get cool things to wear during graduation too!